Travel

Any thoughts on Manulife Premium Protection Plan?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2017 12:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2010
5037 posts
907 upvotes

Any thoughts on Manulife Premium Protection Plan?

I want to book a one week vacation in Jan but I've been having health issues. I'm pretty sure these will be resolved by then, but just in case, I've been looking for cancellation insurance and medical insurance since I ditched my MC World. The travel agent suggested this Manulife Premium Protection Plan:

http://www.manulife.com/Master-Article- ... edium=post

From the travel agent (sorry but it's in French):
Avec nous, nous avons un nouveau plan - en fait avec Manuvie - Ca s'appelle 'protection sans egal' qui est beaucoup plus flexible pour la couverture et qui couvre pour n'importe quelle raison a 75% et ceci jusqu'a 7 jours avant le voyage - mais ca couvre pour 100% biensur pour les raisons couvertes - la seule fois qu'ils ne couvriront pas a 100% c'est lorsque le medecin avise le passager de NE PAS voyager!

Je ne peux vendre cette police qu'aux personnes de moisn de 69 ans. Pour couvrir $2000, le prix est $185. Et cette covuerture est complete : Medicales/annulation/bagages/vie/interruption de voyage/delai .
So it looks like this covers everything (medical/cancellation/luggage/delays/...) and the worse I can do if I cancel is get 75% back.

Any thoughts?
16 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17470 posts
10250 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The text of course looks good but what it really comes down to is how much do they charge. As for recommendations from your travel agent, often, they will use the insurance they have always used and not shop around. I would suggest that you do a bit of comparison shopping especially since you have some health issues which could cause the premiums to go way up. Have a look at CAA (BCAA here in BC). They have an option for about a $1 a day or so to cover pre-existing conditions so you wont have to worry about if the insurance will cover anything or not.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2010
5037 posts
907 upvotes
It's $185 (to cover a $2,000 trip), includes medical/cancellation/luggage/life/trip interruption/delays.

Hadn't thought about CAA, but since I'm a member, I'll check with them. Thanks for the tip.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17470 posts
10250 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
JustBob wrote: It's $185 (to cover a $2,000 trip), includes medical/cancellation/luggage/life/trip interruption/delays.

Hadn't thought about CAA, but since I'm a member, I'll check with them. Thanks for the tip.
Per person? That's nuts. I just did an out of country policy (world wide excluding the US) for 19 days covering preexisting for $63. Of course, that was only medical but it's nearly 3 times longer.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2010
5037 posts
907 upvotes
craftsman wrote: Per person? That's nuts. I just did an out of country policy (world wide excluding the US) for 19 days covering preexisting for $63. Of course, that was only medical but it's nearly 3 times longer.
Yeah, you're probably right. All I really need is medical covering the trip and a couple of (minor) pre-existing conditions in case of cancellation. CAA seem to have this through Blue Cross:

https://www.caaquebec.com/en/for-your-i ... insurance/

I'll call them on Tuesday.
May 7, 2015
528 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto, ON
craftsman wrote: Per person? That's nuts. I just did an out of country policy (world wide excluding the US) for 19 days covering preexisting for $63. Of course, that was only medical but it's nearly 3 times longer.
But your policy only included medical coverage while on the trip, his quote also includes trip cancellation along with medical/interruption/luggage/etc, so your comparison isn't really helpful. Often the Cancellation coverage is the most expensive part of travel insurance.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17470 posts
10250 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
BaconBaron wrote: But your policy only included medical coverage while on the trip, his quote also includes trip cancellation along with medical/interruption/luggage/etc, so your comparison isn't really helpful. Often the Cancellation coverage is the most expensive part of travel insurance.
My coverage was also 3 times longer and we are in completely different circumstances when it comes to age and other demographics so really the travel health isn't really comparable either if you really want to be picky... my point was for him to check other sources and compare prices and I offered BCAA as an example of health care coverage.

So, I don't understand your point... should he not comparison shop since his circumstances are different? I'm not trying to be difficult but really, what's your point?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2010
5037 posts
907 upvotes
CAA prices/online quotes for equivalent coverage are similar, in fact the "full coverage" equivalent to Manulife was $215 (vs $189). I called about adding pre-existing conditions to the cheapest medical package and they said they coudn't do that. So in the end, I didn't bother with cancellation insurance and just took the medical plan for a week for $69.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2010
5037 posts
907 upvotes
CAA prices/online quotes for equivalent coverage are similar, in fact the "full coverage" equivalent to Manulife was $215 (vs $189). I called about adding pre-existing conditions to the cheapest medical package and they said they coudn't do that. So in the end, I didn't bother with cancellation insurance and just took the medical plan for a week for $69.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17058 posts
14438 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
JustBob wrote: CAA prices/online quotes for equivalent coverage are similar, in fact the "full coverage" equivalent to Manulife was $215 (vs $189). I called about adding pre-existing conditions to the cheapest medical package and they said they coudn't do that. So in the end, I didn't bother with cancellation insurance and just took the medical plan for a week for $69.
So... Instead of paying around $ 200 to "insure" a $ 2000 trip... You've opted to pay just $ 69 for Travel Medical.

Not the best idea if you ask me. What if something goes wrong BEFORE your trip ?

Now you'll be out $ 2000 vs $ 200 ... But hey you'll probably get that $ 69 refunded.

Not to mention that if you read "the fine print" you would discover that in the case of most insurances that cover pre-existing conditions, they still must be stable for a period of 3 months to a year (depends on the policy & insurer... As well as deductible). So maybe your $ 69 coverage is now or will be worth squat come travel time.

No offense, but I think you've made a poor choice. I'd go back to the drawing board & rethink this.

Personally my hard earned dollars that I put aside for vacation time are worth a lot more respect.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2010
5037 posts
907 upvotes
After further review, I made an informed decision based on my current situation. One, my "condition" will most likely be completely resolved by the time this trip comes up, and two, even if its not, it would suck but it still isn't something I'd want to cancel over. If I'm gonna feel crappy, I might as well be on a beach/by the pool than on my couch. To summarize, my initial fears/concerns were exaggerated.

And the $69 medical coverage has little to nothing to do with my pre-existing condition (as I've stated I can deal with that), it's an alternative to what I used to get with my MC World which I no longer have.
May 7, 2015
528 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto, ON
craftsman wrote: My coverage was also 3 times longer and we are in completely different circumstances when it comes to age and other demographics so really the travel health isn't really comparable either if you really want to be picky... my point was for him to check other sources and compare prices and I offered BCAA as an example of health care coverage.

So, I don't understand your point... should he not comparison shop since his circumstances are different? I'm not trying to be difficult but really, what's your point?
My point was that you reacted to his quote with "That's nuts!" and then said how much less you paid, for completely different coverage.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1424 posts
452 upvotes
I don't think there is medical travel insurance that covers pre existing conditions is there?
All credit card card insurance have 3 to 6 months stability condition. Are there non credit card travel insurance that do not have this condition?

I have always wondered what stability means? What if someone has a condition that never goes away. Eg: diabetes or ms. When would it be considered stable?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17058 posts
14438 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
wra45mon wrote: I don't think there is medical travel insurance that covers pre existing conditions is there?
All credit card card insurance have 3 to 6 months stability condition. Are there non credit card travel insurance that do not have this condition?

I have always wondered what stability means? What if someone has a condition that never goes away. Eg: diabetes or ms. When would it be considered stable?
Yes there is. Several. But the most known for Cdn Snowbirds is Medipac.

Stability means under treatment with no changes in status... The "time frame" for stability can differ between Cos (3 to 12 months) & also for pricing & deductibles.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1424 posts
452 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Yes there is. Several. But the most known for Cdn Snowbirds is Medipac.

Stability means under treatment with no changes in status... The "time frame" for stability can differ between Cos (3 to 12 months) & also for pricing & deductibles.
Thanks. Medipac also has condition

NOTE: The Pre-existing Condition clause applies prior to each and every trip, so be certain you are in compliance prior to travel.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17058 posts
14438 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
wra45mon wrote: Thanks. Medipac also has condition

NOTE: The Pre-existing Condition clause applies prior to each and every trip, so be certain you are in compliance prior to travel.
Yes you are correct. I probably should have been more precise...

Your condition must be stable, not only when you initially purchase, but EVERY TIME you travel.

Suppose, I did not state that, cause well, it just makes common sense. No one will cover you if your condition is not stable / managed, without changes for whatever their "stability timeframe" condition is

For some policies, ths even includes a change in medication. Start a new drug (or doseage) then the clock starts over.