Travel

Any tips about Booking British Airways flight using avios? Scam taxes are extreme

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2019 7:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5043 posts
985 upvotes
Thornhill

Any tips about Booking British Airways flight using avios? Scam taxes are extreme

I am trying to get a flight from YYZ to ANYWHERE in Europe or even Turkey or Israel by using British Airways website and points. The issue is, All flights are always flying via LHR( London) and that is an automatic $200-300 surcharge per leg and they are all via British Airways and NEVER via any of its partners. Any tips on avoiding LHR or how to get access to partner flights(eg. It would be cheaper to fly via American Airlines who are a partner) yet they are never visible as flight option

Went to American Airlines website, found flights to Dublin via USA city with low points and under $100 in taxes. None of those flight however visible on the BA website!!!
1 reply
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4581 posts
1392 upvotes
Toronto
dazz wrote:
Apr 7th, 2019 5:59 pm
I am trying to get a flight from YYZ to ANYWHERE in Europe or even Turkey or Israel by using British Airways website and points. The issue is, All flights are always flying via LHR( London) and that is an automatic $200-300 surcharge per leg and they are all via British Airways and NEVER via any of its partners. Any tips on avoiding LHR or how to get access to partner flights(eg. It would be cheaper to fly via American Airlines who are a partner) yet they are never visible as flight option

Went to American Airlines website, found flights to Dublin via USA city with low points and under $100 in taxes. None of those flight however visible on the BA website!!!
You could try Aer Lingus to Dublin, or possibly Iberia - note that BA, Aer Lingus and Iberia share the same currency (Avios) but not the same booking system, so to book an Aer Lingus flight you need to sign up on the Aer Lingus website and then transfer your Avios over. You can freely transfer Avios between airlines, but they don't take from a central pot if you get what I mean.

Aer Lingus from Montreal to Dublin is supposed to be one of the best deals you can get with Avios (Toronto is a bit more).