Home & Garden

Any tips on how to effectively make use of small condo space?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2009 12:34 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2296 posts
137 upvotes
Ottawa

Any tips on how to effectively make use of small condo space?

I've a small condo unit (a little less than 600 sq.ft). I would like some ideas on how to make it look/feel a lot more spacious than it really is. There use to be a couple of monthly magazines at [rfdlink=42]Chapters[/rfdlink] on the subject, but I can't find them anymore. :(

Anyone with a small apartment/condo unit have any ideas to share?

~V79~
13 replies
Nov 14, 2004
88 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I think I was reading the Metro from Thursday that mentioned the book The Smart Approach to Small Space Living which I haven't gotten a chance to check out yet.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Sma ... op+Sellers

Also, Style at Home's March issue is 'Small Spaces'

A couple of tips I've been able to gather so far is that you can try to get furniture that is multi purpose (i.e. a coffee table that can change in height to a dining table or furniture that also functions as storage). And use space vertically. For example, shelves that go up to the ceiling.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9959 posts
1470 upvotes
IHeartFreebies wrote:
A couple of tips I've been able to gather so far is that you can try to get furniture that is multi purpose (i.e. a coffee table that can change in height to a dining table or furniture that also functions as storage). And use space vertically. For example, shelves that go up to the ceiling.
That is what I've consistently read. Not to mention the layout or flow or the space. Furniture placement can make a huge deal on how it FEELS.
Oct 27, 2008
657 posts
6 upvotes
Viz79 wrote: I've a small condo unit (a little less than 600 sq.ft). I would like some ideas on how to make it look/feel a lot more spacious than it really is. There use to be a couple of monthly magazines at Chapters on the subject, but I can't find them anymore. :(

Anyone with a small apartment/condo unit have any ideas to share?

~V79~
Don't buy traditional furnitures, measure your room/space twice before buying any furnitures. Go to a nice condo furniture shop that will help you use the space efficiently. If I am not mistaken there is "The Brick" funiture shop that specializes on condo furnitures in downtown?

Edit: I didn't see that you live in Ottawa, but I am sure there is a condo furniture store there too.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
You definitely need to be careful when buying furniture. Avoid the over-stuffed and opt for cleaner lines. Generally smaller scale furniture overall. Multifunction is good. Even Leons now has an area and collection that is called Urban Living, it's more contemporary/modern with clean lines and generally smaller scale so the concepts are fairly mainstream now...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Mar 26, 2005
423 posts
67 upvotes
IHeartFreebies wrote: I think I was reading the Metro from Thursday that mentioned the book The Smart Approach to Small Space Living which I haven't gotten a chance to check out yet.

Thanks for the info. Heading to a Chapters now :D
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2733 posts
134 upvotes
Peterborough
Light colours. Mirrors. Tall skinny stuff.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2296 posts
137 upvotes
Ottawa
IHeartFreebies wrote: I think I was reading the Metro from Thursday that mentioned the book The Smart Approach to Small Space Living which I haven't gotten a chance to check out yet.

Sweet! Gonna check out it out at Chapters.

Is that the March 2008 or March 2009 issue of Style at Home?

I kinda figured out the use of vertical space, but it still doesn't seem efficient. :(
Friday5PM wrote: Go to a nice condo furniture shop that will help you use the space efficiently.
Hmm... Gotta see if there are any condo furniture stores here in Ottawa.
CSK'sMom wrote: Even Leons now has an area and collection that is called Urban Living, it's more contemporary/modern with clean lines and generally smaller scale so the concepts are fairly mainstream now...
Thanks. Will call the local Leon's to see if they have any Urban Living or condo sections in their Ottawa stores.
wiggy wrote: Light colours. Mirrors. Tall skinny stuff.
Light colours? Does it really make that big of a difference? As for the mirror, got that covered already. ;)

~V79~
Nov 14, 2004
88 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
In case you haven't made it to Chapters yet, the Small Spaces issue of Style at home is March 2009.

You can also look at their website to see some articles about small spaces:
http://www.styleathome.com/homes/small-spaces

Maybe check out your library for past small spaces issues? I think they do it annually.

Something else I see about small spaces is the use of glass/clear furniture to keep the eye moving through the space.

www.apartmenttherapy.com might also give you some ideas.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9959 posts
1470 upvotes
try EQ3 for some smaller furniture, it's like a more expensive Ikea

EQ3 Ottawa
1832 Merivale Road Nepean, ON K2G 1E6, Canada
T 613-723-7777
[Click for more information]

EQ3 Ottawa - ByWard Market
60 ByWard Market Ottawa, ON K1N 7A2, Canada
T 613-562-9111
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2296 posts
137 upvotes
Ottawa
IHeartFreebies wrote: In case you haven't made it to Chapters yet, the Small Spaces issue of Style at home is March 2009.

Maybe check out your library for past small spaces issues? I think they do it annually.

Something else I see about small spaces is the use of glass/clear furniture to keep the eye moving through the space.

That's awesome information! Thanks.
speedyforme wrote: try EQ3 for some smaller furniture, it's like a more expensive Ikea

EQ3 Ottawa
1832 Merivale Road Nepean, ON K2G 1E6, Canada
T 613-723-7777

EQ3 Ottawa - ByWard Market
60 ByWard Market Ottawa, ON K1N 7A2, Canada
T 613-562-9111
Yeah, I've already checked out the local EQ3 and Structube stores. Really nice stuff, but I find the items a tad bit on the expensive side. :(

I'll probably hop on over to the Gatineau/Quebec side to look at some furniture stores. Their side seems to have 10x more furniture stores than here in Ottawa.

~V79~
Dec 19, 2007
582 posts
32 upvotes
Markham
I just read the magazine in chapters yesterday. :) Some ideas are neat.
I think a bed with drawers underneath for storage is good for condo; if you are a handy man, or you know someone who is, you can customize some build-in shelves.
May 14, 2008
288 posts
31 upvotes
Ottawa
Viz79 wrote: That's awesome information! Thanks.

Yeah, I've already checked out the local EQ3 and Structube stores. Really nice stuff, but I find the items a tad bit on the expensive side. :(

I'll probably hop on over to the Gatineau/Quebec side to look at some furniture stores. Their side seems to have 10x more furniture stores than here in Ottawa.

~V79~
Can you name a few? Particularily ones that sell modern style furntiure
Aug 22, 2004
803 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
IHeartFreebies wrote: In case you haven't made it to Chapters yet, the Small Spaces issue of Style at home is March 2009.

apartmenttherapy is pretty sweet!! I've been looking in there for design ideas for my 485 sq ft studio.

I bought the Style at Home magasine yesterday. I really like that idea about putting an oversize picture to anchor a certain area.