Travel

Any tips on Vegas Hotel bookings?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2019 2:24 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 10, 2004
6622 posts
2313 upvotes
Vancouver

Any tips on Vegas Hotel bookings?

A friend of mine trying to find hotels for Vegas and I offered to help, but then it appears I don't know much as I haven't been there in 9 years and things changed. Every hotel I was trying to price charges some crazy taxes and resorts fees so a $50/night hotel has on average $60-120/night of those fees! Insane! Apparently it's for newspaper and wifi lol
Any ways to avoid those? or perhaps there is a website that lists them in the price. It just becoming stupid when you can price 2 hotels as you have to go all the way to the end of the booking to find out what their scam fees are. Makes the booking process very long.
I remember I stayed at the Treasure Island for $40+ $20/resort fee back 9 years ago.
Do these hotels cost less last minute? he wants to fly on the 30th of September for about 4 nights.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
11 replies
Sr. Member
Nov 28, 2017
626 posts
593 upvotes
There is a thread on here for finding and discussing vegas deals.

First, a general comment on resort fees. In vegas they seem so big and annoying mostly because the room rates are so low in comparison. But that's a good thing. That 50 dollar a night with 60 dollars in fees hotel might be 300 a night with 60 in fees in other major US cities.

A couple (non strip) places in town still don't charge fees, and off strip places charge lesser ones. If your friend wants to party downtown instead of on the strip, Four Queens has cheap rates without resort fees.

But for most vegas newbies especially, they want to be on the strip and in a fancy place they've heard of.

As for last minute rates, they can drop pretty low, but they can also skyrocket. Your friend should book a rate they can cancel up to 72 hours beforehand now (straight through the hotel generally you pay first nights rate without fee as a refundable deposit), and then shop around for deals until they get in that 72 hour window. One good way to price compare options for their dates would be to go to Caesars.com and use the flexible dates tool to compare rates at the many caesars hotels all at once. They can even sign up online for the players club, which might yield a small discount, or even a big one last minute if the hotels are underbooked.



One thing they can try once they have that baseline booking is priceline's express hotel deals. It will take some looking and research, but playing with the search parameters they can often figure out exactly which hotel they would get (or down to 2 choices). And if they sign up to priceline through email they will regularly be sent offer codes for 5-10% off of bookings of express deals.

For a non player looking to get a deal on a major hotel in fairly short notice that might be the best approach.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 10, 2004
6622 posts
2313 upvotes
Vancouver
Thank you for the tips. Main hassle at this point is pricing the hotels as it takes a while with the fees only visible at the end.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Sr. Member
Nov 28, 2017
626 posts
593 upvotes
dazz wrote: Thank you for the tips. Main hassle at this point is pricing the hotels as it takes a while with the fees only visible at the end.
They are fairly standard on the strip, in the range of 40-50 USD a night. As a rule of thumb, just add 200 USD (for 4 nights) to the price you see if it is a name strip hotel.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 10, 2004
6622 posts
2313 upvotes
Vancouver
nevyn1234 wrote: They are fairly standard on the strip, in the range of 40-50 USD a night. As a rule of thumb, just add 200 USD (for 4 nights) to the price you see if it is a name strip hotel.
Only works if you don't have a budget... He is trying to choose the cheapest site and cheapest hotel on the strip so that what makes it hard. If you don't care, then it's easy and "ballparking" works.
In any case, I gave up... he can do it on his own. For any other places out there, it's very easy for me to do as I do it a lot for my business trips. This is just nonsense.
And I also found that the cheaper would actually be to take a "vacation package as it's cheaper than booking it separately to the same hotels on the same dates. Go figure...
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2974 upvotes
keenland
dazz wrote: A friend of mine trying to find hotels for Vegas and I offered to help, but then it appears I don't know much as I haven't been there in 9 years and things changed. Every hotel I was trying to price charges some crazy taxes and resorts fees so a $50/night hotel has on average $60-120/night of those fees! Insane! Apparently it's for newspaper and wifi lol
Any ways to avoid those? or perhaps there is a website that lists them in the price. It just becoming stupid when you can price 2 hotels as you have to go all the way to the end of the booking to find out what their scam fees are. Makes the booking process very long.
I remember I stayed at the Treasure Island for $40+ $20/resort fee back 9 years ago.
Do these hotels cost less last minute? he wants to fly on the 30th of September for about 4 nights.
TI can still be had on a decent deal..check their website and try all their sales (depending on what you want) also try calling direct to hotels..I have booked TI for as little as $69 )no resort fee special) and it still has free parking as most don't anymore
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
11866 posts
4188 upvotes
Toronto
If you book at the off seasons or days with no special events going on. Vegas's hotel aren't expensive.
For example, I stayed at Aria for $99 a night or $49 at Mirage.
Even adding the $39 Resort fee at Aria. it is about 150$US a night for a 5 Stars Hotel.

Where in Toronto you can book a 5 stars hotel for $200 CAD?

If you are in a budget, stayed at MGM, NYNY, those hotel can be found for $29-$40 at the low season. Adding the resort fee, it takes you under $100 US.
You will need to pay $100 US even you are staying at a 3 star hotel in Buffalo!
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
11866 posts
4188 upvotes
Toronto
dazz wrote: Only works if you don't have a budget... He is trying to choose the cheapest site and cheapest hotel on the strip so that what makes it hard. If you don't care, then it's easy and "ballparking" works.
In any case, I gave up... he can do it on his own. For any other places out there, it's very easy for me to do as I do it a lot for my business trips. This is just nonsense.
And I also found that the cheaper would actually be to take a "vacation package as it's cheaper than booking it separately to the same hotels on the same dates. Go figure...
Last December, I bought a Air Canada Package and stayed 4 nights in Cosmopolitan Hotel (one of the top hotels on Strip) including Direct flight from YZZ for only $600CAD tax in.
Try the Package deal route.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
14045 posts
4010 upvotes
GTA
No guarantees but he can get a free Caesar's total rewards account and periodically search their site for prices. Once in a while some of their hotels have comps. Last time I went to Vegas I stayed for 3 or 4 nights and I only paid the resort fees because they were just trying to fill the extra rooms.

Top