[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5839 posts
251 upvotes
GTA

Any TV repair guys on board???

TV: LG 50py2dr-ua built in 2005

Problem: There are about 6 random black vertical lines starting from the top of the TV to about 1/3 to 1/2 the way down.

Looking at Youtube for potential fixes state that it's most likely soldered joints getting weak as a common problem with these Plasma LG TV's, however youtube describes them as red full lines whereas mine are black on only 1/3 to 1/2 of the way down.

IF anyone can confirm this, great and where can I take it for repair in the GTA for cheap of course....

sk
8 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19131 posts
7228 upvotes
Toronto
You are better off buying a new tv rather than repairing. The repair will be costly. It's not a simple fix.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29406 posts
9995 upvotes
RFD is probably not the best place to post this. Better off posting on AVS. There are some guys on there experienced with modern TV repair.

Also, even better/more technical, try posting on the TV subforum on badcaps:
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Sometimes the problem is the panel, which means repair will not be cost effective. However there's lots of other causes of similar problems which could be fixable so I wouldn't give up just yet. There are even some problems with panels that you can fix (like tab bonding issues) but yeah better to post on there to see if anyone has any insight and or experience with similar sets to yours.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1331 upvotes
sunnybono wrote: TV: LG 50py2dr-ua built in 2005

Problem: There are about 6 random black vertical lines starting from the top of the TV to about 1/3 to 1/2 the way down.

Looking at Youtube for potential fixes state that it's most likely soldered joints getting weak as a common problem with these Plasma LG TV's, however youtube describes them as red full lines whereas mine are black on only 1/3 to 1/2 of the way down.

IF anyone can confirm this, great and where can I take it for repair in the GTA for cheap of course....

sk
It probably cost a bundle for 50" plasma back in 2005, but it is not feasible to fix that HDTV today.
A 50" today cost less than $600 it would be silly to fork $300+ to fix a 11-12 year old set ...rather just get a new unit that offers more !
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1130 posts
514 upvotes
York Region
I have a Samsung plasma from 2006 with the vertical lines. A few years ago I called up a reputable TV shop and they wanted $50 to even look at the TV. New panel was 300ish. Not worth fixing
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5839 posts
251 upvotes
GTA
On the LG they are black thick verticle lines
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
it's most likely soldered joints getting weak as a common problem
panel problem, not a cost effective fix.