Health & Wellness

Any using KardiaMobile 6L? Need help with troubleshooting tips...

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2022 9:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
1229 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto

Any using KardiaMobile 6L? Need help with troubleshooting tips...

I purchased the KardiaMobile 6L for my parents from amazon when it was on sale last month.

Both my dad and my mom are having a heck of a time using the device to record their EKG. Specifically, they are having a hard time maintaining good contact with the bottom electrode (on their legs or ankles) for the Kardia app to start the recordings.

At first, we thought that the unit was broken. We purchased another brand new unit and returned the original unit. The new unit is exhibiting the same signaling issue. By contrast, there is no issue with the top left and right electrodes.

We contacted AliveCor for support, but the suggestions given to us (such as reinstalling the app and changing the battery) were unhelpful. AliveCor insisted that this is not a hardware problem as we were able to eventually make a recording but only after a lot of position adjustments.

Can anyone here who has KardiaMobile 6L chime in to share your own experiences? Did we get a dud unit twice in a row?
8 replies
Oct 20, 2014
765 posts
317 upvotes
Trenton, on
I assume it is placed directly on the skin of the thigh, instead of on clothing or a different part of the leg
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
1229 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
Correct. They tried numerous spots on the thigh and around the ankle. It is the inconsistency by which the app was able to register a signal that is the problem. Even when using the exact same spot on the skin, a few recordings would complete but most would fail to finish.
neatooo wrote: I assume it is placed directly on the skin of the thigh, instead of on clothing or a different part of the leg
Oct 20, 2014
765 posts
317 upvotes
Trenton, on
have you tried pressing down on the sensor a bit while taking a reading?
shyhermit wrote: Correct. They tried numerous spots on the thigh and around the ankle. It is the inconsistency by which the app was able to register a signal that is the problem. Even when using the exact same spot on the skin, a few recordings would complete but most would fail to finish.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
1229 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, that's how my parents learned to get a recording. But pressing down on the sensor alone is still inconsistent will not always work. Do you experience any problem with the bottom sensor? I am asking because somehow I can't find any info on this issue on the internet. KardiaMobile has been out for nearly a decade, so I figure someone must have posted about this somewhere before.
neatooo wrote: have you tried pressing down on the sensor a bit while taking a reading?
Oct 20, 2014
765 posts
317 upvotes
Trenton, on
I haven't had any issues so far. Cant think of anything else except use a new battery from a well known brand, which you might have already done.
shyhermit wrote: Yes, that's how my parents learned to get a recording. But pressing down on the sensor alone is still inconsistent will not always work. Do you experience any problem with the bottom sensor? I am asking because somehow I can't find any info on this issue on the internet. KardiaMobile has been out for nearly a decade, so I figure someone must have posted about this somewhere before.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
1229 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
Rats... Now I am thinking whether or not I should return this unit again to get another one...
neatooo wrote: I haven't had any issues so far. Cant think of anything else except use a new battery from a well known brand, which you might have already done.
Oct 20, 2014
765 posts
317 upvotes
Trenton, on
If possible, return and get another one. I hope everything works out for you.

On the other hand, to be able to detect a fib or similar, you would need to have a monitor on all the time. This one can only be used on an adhoc basis, so by the time you use it, the symptoms might pass and wouldn't be detected.
shyhermit wrote: Rats... Now I am thinking whether or not I should return this unit again to get another one...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)