Shopping Discussion

Any way to use Costco executive member reward coupon online?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2021 2:07 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3251 posts
1997 upvotes
SW ON

Any way to use Costco executive member reward coupon online?

UPDATE:
Like Costco USA, Costco Canada now has an official way of converting the executive member reward coupon into a shop card that can be used online. The instructions are here: https://customerservice.costco.ca/app/a ... /a_id/9908
I don't want to copy them here as they may change. In short, you need to mail them the coupon and they mail you back a shop card for the same amount. It took about 2.5 weeks for me.

Original post:
So, I got my Costco executive member reward coupon. Is there any way to use it online? I don't want to go to the store these days. I shop online including same day delivery. My membership renewal is coming soon, I can use it for that too if I can do it online or over the phone. Does anyone have any experience redeeming this coupon not in store? (This is not Capital One cash back.)
Last edited by alpovs on Mar 5th, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
87 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3616 posts
3787 upvotes
GTA
The restrictions are right on the back of the cheque. You can't use it online or to renew your membership.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3251 posts
1997 upvotes
SW ON
That's why I am asking. Maybe someone managed to get an exemption.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35938 posts
22082 upvotes
Center of Universe
No. There's a reason why Costco has a disclaimer of
"May be available In-Warehouse at a lower non-delivered price"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3251 posts
1997 upvotes
SW ON
vkizzle wrote: No. There's a reason why Costco has a disclaimer of
What???
That disclaimer means that online price which is always higher includes the shipping charge.
How is it even relevant?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35938 posts
22082 upvotes
Center of Universe
alpovs wrote: What???
That disclaimer means that online price which is always higher includes the shipping charge.
How is it even relevant?
Isn't the online price higher, plus an additional surcharge?
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3616 posts
3787 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote: No. There's a reason why Costco has a disclaimer of
vkizzle wrote: Isn't the online price higher, plus an additional surcharge?
No idea how you got the idea that this thread is about online pricing. OP is asking about the possibility of using the 2% executive membership reward cheque online.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35938 posts
22082 upvotes
Center of Universe
tew wrote: No idea how you got the idea that this is about online pricing. OP is asking about the possibility of using the 2% executive membership reward cheque online.
No idea what you read, because he was asking the following "So, I got my Costco executive member reward coupon. Is there any way to use it online?".
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3616 posts
3787 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote: No idea what you read, because he was asking the following "So, I got my Costco executive member reward coupon. Is there any way to use it online?".
I made an incorrect assumption that you meant pricing because both of your posts mention online pricing.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17893 posts
15343 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Asked & Answered by @tew

NO
tew wrote: The restrictions are right on the back of the cheque. You can't use it online or to renew your membership.
It’s one of those Costco quirky things that goes with Membership
And the things that must be done in store ...

As to the side discussion regarding online pricing between @vkizzle & @alpovs

Pricing is higher on the website vs in the warehouse for stuff. Period.

In some cases one could argue that’s to cover Shipping
In other cases, shipping is still extra if you don’t meet a Minimum Spend
So IMO they are 2 different things

Online Shopping @ Costco.ca used to be open to Non Members
(Now it’s not)
So one could also say the higher pricing was to make a bit more off of each item from those folks
And members paid the higher cost too ... cuz online 24/7 is a convenient luxury vs going to the busy warehouse
Not uncommon for some retailers / many ... to have one price for instore & another for online
And no pattern specifically to which is the higher / lower
Some Retailers it’s cheaper online, some it’s Instore

Costco truly wants their Customers to visit the warehouses *
People do a lot of impulse buying at the warehouses
Which they don’t do online

* Recent clear example of this.
Costco is a HUGE Retailer ... but there was no curbside pick up during Covid
Ones choices was buy what they offered online or go inside the warehouse for essentials / fresh groceries
Their one concession ... they opened early for one hour each day for VULNERABLE SHOPPERS
Last edited by PointsHubby on Oct 6th, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35938 posts
22082 upvotes
Center of Universe
tew wrote: I made an incorrect assumption that you meant pricing because both of your posts mention online pricing.
Now that I know he meant a rebate cheque, I also stand corrected.
Dec 22, 2007
971 posts
589 upvotes
Mississauga
go buy something and return it right away they will probably refund you in debit or gift card. One of them you can get cash at the register just forget if its the 2% or capital one voucher.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3251 posts
1997 upvotes
SW ON
DeletedMemories wrote: go buy something and return it right away they will probably refund you in debit or gift card. One of them you can get cash at the register just forget if its the 2% or capital one voucher.
You didn't read my post: "I don't want to go to the store these days."
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3251 posts
1997 upvotes
SW ON
vkizzle wrote: Now that I know he meant a rebate cheque, I also stand corrected.
I copied what's written on it: "executive member reward coupon". That's how it's officially called I guess.
Dec 22, 2007
971 posts
589 upvotes
Mississauga
alpovs wrote: You didn't read my post: "I don't want to go to the store these days."
my bad.. if you know someone they may be able to go for you, i have never had mine really checked cashier puts in printer and scans it. Other thing you can try which i can see costco being helpful with is call customer service explain that you are unable to make it to the store and ask them what they can do.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17893 posts
15343 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Hi @CloudH54947

See this is your first post on the RFD Forums ... so welcome to the community

NEWBIE TIP ... ya gotta read the thread ... or at least the last few pages before replying, so more than just the first OP (original post / original poster)

You are correct there is a work around to the “Executive Member Reward Coupon”
(The link you added)

BUT ... that won’t work for the OP as they have clearly said in their Reply # 13:
alpovs wrote: You didn't read my post: "I don't want to go to the store these days."
Cuz of Covid, they don’t want to go into a Warehouse at all.

So they cannot cash in their reward coupon in a warehouse for a Costco Shop Card.

It’s a real pickle.

I would hope that Costco provides a work around for the OP in light of Covid

(thankfully Costco Canada has listened to other issues that their Customers had /have during Covid ... and have now come up with some solutions like:
* Online FRESH grocery shopping with home delivery via InstaCart, ... and the availability of * Special Priority Shopping at the Warehouses for Seniors, the Vulnerable, as well as Health Care Workers & First Responders ... and * Limiting Costco.ca to MEMBERS ONLY.
But, Unfortunately ... they still haven’t addressed the issues surrounding * Non Perishables Online Grocery Shopping for EVERY MEMBER in Canada, as there are still a lot of Postal Codes that cannot get delivery of essentials like TP, PT, or Cleaning Supplies from the warehouses despite having PAID MEMBERSHIPS )
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3251 posts
1997 upvotes
SW ON
If anyone is interested, I called the customer service. They told me there is no way to use this reward coupon online but it never expires. Supposedly I can use even in 5 years from now. I was told to keep it in safe place and use in store whenever.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17893 posts
15343 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
alpovs wrote: If anyone is interested, I called the customer service. They told me there is no way to use this reward coupon online but it never expires. Supposedly I can use even in 5 years from now. I was told to keep it in safe place and use in store whenever.
Thanks for the update

Too bad they didn’t have A BETTER SOLUTION
So you could access these funds OWED TO YOU ... NOW!

But at least it’s something.

Means tho you got to always keep your Membership Active / Current no doubt.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3251 posts
1997 upvotes
SW ON
PointsHubby wrote: Means tho you got to always keep your Membership Active / Current no doubt.
Good point! I didn't think about it.