• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2018 9:56 am
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 29, 2009
631 posts
311 upvotes

Anybody consider buying a post-fix TDI?

With a long highway commute, and with myself and kids into hockey/mountain biking etc., the best car for my needs still seems to be a Golf Wagon TDI. Anybody consider buying a post-fix TDI? Any reason to stay away from these vehicles? I also wonder if the post-fix vehicles still take well to a Malone tune (that's probably getting pretty TDI-specific for this crowd :) ).
72 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11544 posts
3251 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
From my understanding it would be a great buy because they have to provide a pretty good and long warranty now because of the repairs. I dont know the details but defiantly worth looking into by talking to a VW Dealer.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16593 posts
18175 upvotes
Oakville
I believe post fix units will have worse performance and more frequent repair/maintenance costs of the EGR and other components.
That said, you can buy it at a discount, then flash it with a tune for performance and go back to smogging the environment.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Jul 19, 2010
611 posts
249 upvotes
Calgary
VW Tdi's are no where near as bad as those Diesel American trucks .. Dodge / Chevy. It's not fair that they get exempt while passenger cars get the bone.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
4179 posts
2572 upvotes
Ontario
phez wrote: nothing was actually wrong with the vehicles. they were just putting out more emissions than specified to governments. ontario drive clean does not test exhaust emissions so you shouldnt have to worry about failing it if in ONT.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-d ... e36714420/
How much use is a Drive Clean test that does not test tailpipe emissions?
Aug 8, 2006
479 posts
148 upvotes
Martin (deal addict) wrote: How much use is a Drive Clean test that does not test tailpipe emissions?
exactly? thats drive clean, lol.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8568 upvotes
GTHA
Martin (deal addict) wrote: How much use is a Drive Clean test that does not test tailpipe emissions?
Drive clean test determines if the vehicle’s emissions systems are working properly and are not releasing pollutants beyond the vehicle’s emissions standards.

Tailpipe tests are still done on light-duty vehicles with a model year 1988 to 1997 and certain heavy-duty gasoline vehicles.

Drive Clean technical guide
http://www.downloads.ene.gov.on.ca/envi ... _Guide.pdf
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16485 posts
14614 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Even when they did the tailpipe sniff test it was pointless on diesels as they were on tested while idling lol.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16593 posts
18175 upvotes
Oakville
drtmrcht wrote: VW Tdi's are no where near as bad as those Diesel American trucks .. Dodge / Chevy. It's not fair that they get exempt while passenger cars get the bone.
Those trucks meet the emissions standards so they're not cheating or braking any laws. The truck standards are just lower to protect American truck makers. You can thank lobbyists for that.
It only verifies that the car's emissions system is working. No need to redo a test that the car is already doing.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3468 posts
867 upvotes
The problem with TDI is their emission system is unreliable. Sensors, EGR valves need cleaning e.t.c.
I am done with diesels in general.

Get gas version, it is using a little bit more of gas than diesel but they are cheaper as well.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1103 posts
352 upvotes
SaskBerta
I've considered it. I figure if the fix hurts it that badly, like others said, flash&tune. If i need to change parts, sure i could find them in a scrap yard.

This year alone I've put on 14,300km due to work.
 (roughly 1200-1500$ in gas in my luxobarge V8. If I did the math right that is)

Comfort is my main concern, A Golf SportWagen would also be the vehicle I'd be looking at if I was to go that route.
My super-reliable Ford Panther Platform vehicle's though with super-cheap and readily available parts is the only reason I haven't yet. (I also get compensated for mileage, so the fuel costs don't bother me that much)
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13723 posts
4249 upvotes
RFD
Please watch Netflix documentary called Dirty Money, episode 1 about the VW scandal, your views should change...

https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80118100

Unless you want to support such a nasty shady company that set up a fake research group (BMW and Mercedes also funded this fake research group) to test their "clean" TDI originally planned on humans (wow) but changed their mind and tested on monkeys , there's no point to ever purchase one.

And having kids you should think about the air they are breathing, NOx is extremely toxic to humans and these with the defeat device were pushing out up to 50x more than what they were supposed to be emitting. VW TDIs contributed to extra unnecessary emissions that directly effects everyone. NOx emissions are deadly, it causes smog, premature deaths, cancer, respiratory, heart and lung disease, and other ailments.

If you don't care about any of these things related to the cheating scandal, at least know that driving a diesel will be contributing to your own and your children's health.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
14958 posts
3897 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not so sure about buying a used TDI. New gasoline engines have come a long way and their fuel mileage may be pretty good on the highway. My GTI is rated at 32MPG by the EPA and I got somewhere along the lines of 36MPG twice according to the trip computer. Once doing a round trip from home in North York to Aurora, and the second time from home to edge of Mississauga. A lot of owners have reported the same thing too when they do highway cruising with their GTI. I wasn't driving slow either, doing around 115Km/H on the highway.

The Honda Civic Hatchback and Golf 1.8T are all rated in the high 30 MPG by the EPA. Some have been able to achieve 40MPG as well. Unless you're strapped for cash, I say spend the money and get a new Civic Hatchback of Golf SportsWagen. The improvement in interior quality and features (Android Auto!!!!) is very nice to have. Just my opinion.
Spending too much money thanks to RFD
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
4179 posts
2572 upvotes
Ontario
engineered wrote: No need to redo a test that the car is already doing.
Car systems need to be checked because they don't always work the way they should. In the UK vehicles over 3 yrs old need a "safety" every year to stay on the road. This is to protect those in the vehicle and other road users who may be impacted when it fails. VW Dieselgate should be a lesson learnt in terms of trusting manufacturer's self-policing systems.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16593 posts
18175 upvotes
Oakville
Martin (deal addict) wrote: Car systems need to be checked because they don't always work the way they should. In the UK vehicles over 3 yrs old need a "safety" every year to stay on the road. This is to protect those in the vehicle and other road users who may be impacted when it fails. VW Dieselgate should be a lesson learnt in terms of trusting manufacturer's self-policing systems.
Agreed. I should have stated that the intention of the test is to report the operation of the car's systems. Dieselgate is a special case and really a problem with the EPA's testing methods.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16593 posts
18175 upvotes
Oakville
EP32k2 wrote: Even when they did the tailpipe sniff test it was pointless on diesels as they were on tested while idling lol.
Was the diesel test different from the gas engine test? I remember the test being on a dyno and revving the engine to 3k RPM.
That said, VW's system would detect the vehicle not moving and put itself into clean mode, passing the test which is why it was never caught until someone tested it while actually driving on a road.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13723 posts
4249 upvotes
RFD
engineered wrote: Was the diesel test different from the gas engine test? I remember the test being on a dyno and revving the engine to 3k RPM.
That said, VW's system would detect the vehicle not moving and put itself into clean mode, passing the test which is why it was never caught until someone tested it while actually driving on a road.
The documentary points out the cheat software is disabled once the software detects movement in the steering wheel.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16485 posts
14614 upvotes
Richmond Hill
engineered wrote: Was the diesel test different from the gas engine test? I remember the test being on a dyno and revving the engine to 3k RPM.
Yes it was different. Gas engines were done on a dyno with sniffer and diesel was an idle test with sniffer. You could have the dirtiest diesel and it would still pass the idle test lol. Diesels barely burn fuel while idling. It was a super flawed test.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4498 posts
3744 upvotes
Oakville, ON
McGuillicuddy wrote: With a long highway commute, and with myself and kids into hockey/mountain biking etc., the best car for my needs still seems to be a Golf Wagon TDI. Anybody consider buying a post-fix TDI? Any reason to stay away from these vehicles? I also wonder if the post-fix vehicles still take well to a Malone tune (that's probably getting pretty TDI-specific for this crowd :) ).
While waiting for the 3.0 litre settlement to be finalised, I swore off VAG and started looking at replacement possibilities several months ago. Nothing quite ticks the boxes for us the way the Q7 does. It looks like in 2-3 yrs there’ll be a slew of PHEV & BEV available with much better range in the larger utility vehicle class, and so in the last few weeks I’ve started taking a look at a 2014 or 2015 Q7 as a stop-gap.

While a tune may help to address some of the negative aspects of the fix, you’ll void the extended emissions warranty if you get flagged with a tune. I’d imagine that they’ll be vigilant on this to deny claims and save money. I haven’t heard any chatter about anybody getting tunes after the fix to see what their before/after thoughts are. Either way though, it would be a selfish act that would undermine the spirit and intent of the whole fix & setttlement process resulting in more pollution! I’d only be interested if the tuners could document the impact on horsepower, torque, economy, AND pollution.

But alas, after much hand-wringing I’m still undecided on a replacement vehicle. Decision Day for me is coming up though as I expect the 3.0 litre settlement will begin shortly after the next court date in early April.