Automotive

Anybody going to the Drive Festival at Mosport?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2021 6:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4030 posts
1501 upvotes
Toronto

Anybody going to the Drive Festival at Mosport?

Not much promo going on for this event, happened to see a small ad on CP24.

Promises to be Canada's take on the Goodwood Festival of Speed... I've tried searching online, found a Facebook and Instagram account and a couple YouTube videos.

Drive Festival September 10, 11 and 12.

Supposedly will be a lot of exotics (read: McLaren, Pagani, Porsche, etc) that will be available for test drives and some kind of hill climb event (not timed like Goodwood). Also an offorad track for test drives, EV car section, classic cars (apparently they're recreating a Ford vs Ferrari sprint). There's supposed to be military vehicles and the batmobile for kids too.

Again, not much promo going on, so info is scarce. And being a 1st year event, I have my doubts. Not sure if it'll be the same cars/events repeated all 3 days or if you need to attend all 3 days or just 1 to get your money's worth.

Anyone have any more insider info? Ticket prices aren't horrible, and kids under 12 are free.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
2658 posts
1843 upvotes
Toronto
So from their Facebook site you need to buy admission tickets before you can find out the cost of test drive tickets? Like WTF!!
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
5145 posts
1623 upvotes
Abbottabad
Sooo what does it even mean when these cars are driven at 'speed'?

What speed is 'speed'?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4030 posts
1501 upvotes
Toronto
some1not wrote: So from their Facebook site you need to buy admission tickets before you can find out the cost of test drive tickets? Like WTF!!
iamskyhigh wrote: Sooo what does it even mean when these cars are driven at 'speed'?

What speed is 'speed'?
All good questions... I wondered the same thing myself. Like I said, this isn't very well promoted nor is information readily available. The one video I saw on YouTube is the event organizer talking about what he envisions for the event, nothing really concrete.

For all the test drives they say "first come, first serve"... It's 2021, I'm pretty sure you can cobble together an online booking/appointment system. And it's not clear exactly what cars will be available either, be it on the track, or the "3km country road drive", or the off road track.... The price and security deposit would be great info to know beforehand too.

This event sounds like it has a lot of potential for success, but these simple shortcomings in info could also result in a major fail.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4396 posts
4567 upvotes
GTA
iamskyhigh wrote: Sooo what does it even mean when these cars are driven at 'speed'?

What speed is 'speed'?
Think of the valuable, priceless, and irreplaceable cars that do demo runs at Goodwood. "At speed" means as fast as the driver is willing to go without the chance of wrecking it. I think the idea here is to just see some exotic cars drive quickly around a track, as opposed to crawling around in downtown Toronto where they're usually seen.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17176 posts
19063 upvotes
Oakville
I mean, you could just do a track day at Mostport CTMP or other tracks and see exotics driven at speed or flying by you on the track.
If you don't want to you take your car on the track, you want watch for free and some drivers will let you ride as a passenger (though that may be off the table with covid). You just need your own helmet.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29736 posts
10454 upvotes
The information seems very vague and sparse considering it's one week before the event now. Seems like it could be okay if enough but not too many people go lol.

Looks like the "dream car" drives are if you have a car that meets their criteria--eg. Lambo, McLaren, etc.--you can register and drive it on the track if approved.

The information on the "test drives" for manufacturer, etc. cars available for public is super limited and as someone else pointed out all it says is "first come first serve" which does indeed seem odd/dubious.

Seems like it has the potential to be good but also to be an epic fail. I'd imagine people will go and find out on the Friday, and if it's good the crowds will grow on the Saturday, Sunday.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17176 posts
19063 upvotes
Oakville
Hopefully it won't be another Fyre Festival.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29736 posts
10454 upvotes
engineered wrote: Hopefully it won't be another Fyre Festival.
LOL nah the admission is super cheap. Even if it disappoints it's not like it's uber expensive, has included (ruined) accomodations, and again included (horrific) food, and some ludicrous price.

Here if "you are disappoint!" you just leave, go get some ice cream on the way home and post about it here; don't go back the next year. No biggie.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17176 posts
19063 upvotes
Oakville
ES_Revenge wrote: LOL nah the admission is super cheap. Even if it disappoints it's not like it's uber expensive, has included (ruined) accomodations, and again included (horrific) food, and some ludicrous price.

Here if "you are disappoint!" you just leave, go get some ice cream on the way home and post about it here; don't go back the next year. No biggie.
Yea, I was joking. Worst case it will just be lame.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4030 posts
1501 upvotes
Toronto
So, did anyone goto the Friday event? How was it?

I ended up buying tickets for Saturday, because I found a WagJag deal that brought the price down from $29 to $19. So I figured, why not? Weather is supposed to be nice.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2010
1609 posts
873 upvotes
GTA
Got my tickets... I'll be there around noon but will probably miss any opportunity for a test on the tracks.

I did find that you're sitting with a rep or instructor while you track so that sorta kills the excitement. I'm sure they have a passenger brake pedal.

Anyone else going?
Award Winning Realtor - I LOVE MY JOB!!
At the end of the day, you're the boss and need to make sure I'm worth your rate of pay!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4030 posts
1501 upvotes
Toronto
loriblum wrote: Got my tickets... I'll be there around noon but will probably miss any opportunity for a test on the tracks.

I did find that you're sitting with a rep or instructor while you track so that sorta kills the excitement. I'm sure they have a passenger brake pedal.

Anyone else going?
Oh really, eh?

I'm just on my way now, will report back to this thread once I'm there and have had a chance to check a few venues out. Skeptical if I'll be able to book a test drive of anything, not sure if people have gone for 10:00 opening to get the "first come, first serve".... Still wish it was an online pre-bookinf setup.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4030 posts
1501 upvotes
Toronto
Ok ok... This is pretty cool.

LOTS to see here. A bit of a mash up of between importFEST, CSCS and the Autoshow.

Pretty well attended and weather is perfect today.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 21, 2005
5546 posts
890 upvotes
London, ON
Repooc wrote: Oh really, eh?

I'm just on my way now, will report back to this thread once I'm there and have had a chance to check a few venues out. Skeptical if I'll be able to book a test drive of anything, not sure if people have gone for 10:00 opening to get the "first come, first serve".... Still wish it was an online pre-bookinf setup.
Hyundai had the “on track” test drive available for drop in today (Saturday). Took the Tucson Hybrid for a quick spin (partly onto the race track, a couple of turns then 180’ hairpin back towards their paddock area). Nissan supposedly had spots available for their off road track for drop-ins too

I thought it was well organized — basically all the exotic cars at the Toronto autoshow but quite a lot of cars + the cars doing partial laps.
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4030 posts
1501 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, I took the new 2022 Nissan frontier Pro 4x for a test drive on the off road track. That was suuuuper fun. Pretty challenging course too! It was just a simple drop in, sign up and go...

Tried to take the Hyundai's out on the off road track but apparently they were "sold out" and had all of their reservations full, despite there being NO line up and the staff were just sitting there twiddling their thumbs.

Jeep also had off road test drive, but only had the wrangler and Gladiator available despite having the new 3 row grand Cherokee there, it wasn't available to drive, so I didn't bother.

Went back to the Porsche area to test drive the Taycan, but the lady in front of me said she was already waiting for an hour and probably had another hour wait ahead of her.... No thanks.

Overall a pretty solid event. VERY rare and unique cars including an Enzo, Maserati MC12, jaguar XJ220, Aventador SVJ, TONS of McLaren's including the new Elva in Gulf livery, TWO (!) Pagani's, TONS of Porsche's, an ABT tuned RS6, and so much more...the cars would literally take to the track and when done then u can literally go right up to them in the paddock area.... Unlike the Autoshow where the cars are meters away and behind ropes, everything was very accessible.

By far the best sounding cars on track were the GT3 RS's and the McLaren LeMans race car.

The show and shine area had a couple unique tuner cars as well, similar what you'd see at importFest or a CSCS event.

Overall a solid 9/10 event, could be made better with better organized test drives and ride alongs. Also, if they timed the hill runs (similar to the Goodwood Festival of Speed) then we'd see a lot more excitement/action on track. The event would also benefit from more manufacturer representation/sponsorship.

Me being a huge F1 fan, I wore some of my Mercedes team apparel (hat and T-shirt) and it was nice to spark up random conversations with other F1 enthusiasts also donning their F1 gear.

Being Covid, people were generally good about wearing their masks in tight spaces (ie track bridge overpass and sitting in demo vehicles) the volunteers were also disinfecting high-touch surfaces on the cars between people as well. Thumbs up there.

Although it might rain a bit tomorrow, I think it's worth a visit.