anybody knows how much to convert septic tank to city sewer? in Halton region

thanks!!
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2130 posts
1854 upvotes
GTA
Do you have a municipal sanitary (or combined) sewer along the frontage of your property?
Jan 30, 2017
76 posts
26 upvotes
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Do you have a municipal sanitary (or combined) sewer along the frontage of your property?
I believe so. Almost all the other houses on my street have switched to city sewer by current or previous owners. Unfortunately, my house's previous owner didn't do that.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2130 posts
1854 upvotes
GTA
palaparapalapara wrote: I believe so. Almost all the other houses on my street have switched to city sewer by current or previous owners. Unfortunately, my house's previous owner didn't do that.
You can request either plan profile drawings showing the sewer on your street or wastewater operator maps from halton to check. Or just call the City and ask.

After you can see there is something potentially to connect too, next step is to pick up a phone and see what they require. Do you have a basement? Do you need someone to prepare a servicing plan to make sure you make the cut? Is your septic on the same side of the house as the street?

Next up would be to pay for the cost of works, generally speaking you would be responsible for contracting and installing the pipe from your house to the property line.

Then from the property line to the mainline, the City would likely tender that our for you with one of their contractors. Idk where you are in the world, but you could ask if your contractor could do that as well with a City inspector there.

As far as Im aware Halton doesn't have a set price for connections, so you'll probably pay whatever the going rate is, compared to Toronto where they have a static fee of $12k for single connections for homes, which may not always apply.
Jan 30, 2017
76 posts
26 upvotes
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: You can request either plan profile drawings showing the sewer on your street or wastewater operator maps from halton to check. Or just call the City and ask.

After you can see there is something potentially to connect too, next step is to pick up a phone and see what they require. Do you have a basement? Do you need someone to prepare a servicing plan to make sure you make the cut? Is your septic on the same side of the house as the street?

Next up would be to pay for the cost of works, generally speaking you would be responsible for contracting and installing the pipe from your house to the property line.

Then from the property line to the mainline, the City would likely tender that our for you with one of their contractors. Idk where you are in the world, but you could ask if your contractor could do that as well with a City inspector there.

As far as Im aware Halton doesn't have a set price for connections, so you'll probably pay whatever the going rate is, compared to Toronto where they have a static fee of $12k for single connections for homes, which may not always apply.
Thank you so much! That is very insightful. The septic is unfortunately at the back yard so I think the contractor would need to switch the house main pipe to front yard to connect to city. I've emailed city for the drawings and hopefully they could reply soon. Yes, I do have a basement.