[OP]
Dec 28, 2010
325 posts
123 upvotes

Anybody still employed and doing pretty good? Positivity thread

all the doom and gloom but we still standing

nothing has changed much except we have to work from a tiny 15' screen

can go all for a few more months if I had to tbh
mysticalinfluence wrote: Brah do you make 100K year too and wear Canada Goose? You might not be fat but your fattest douche bag on RFD.
kenchau66 wrote: you mean "you're"
145 replies
May 10, 2017
316 posts
192 upvotes
Thanks for sharing your positivity.

What kind of job do you have to be able to work at home?
Donate to your local food bank today!
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
3525 posts
698 upvotes
I understand what you’re doing but might come off as a bit of a slap in the face to those who’ve lost jobs.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2123 posts
1534 upvotes
kenchau66 wrote: all the doom and gloom but we still standing

nothing has changed much except we have to work from a tiny 15' screen

can go all for a few more months if I had to tbh
Ya still got the job and things are good for me too. Working from home, thankfully bought a large 27" screen years ago so just running off the company 15" laptop and my honking 27" which makes work less painful lol. Really liking the ability to make hot food for lunches and such, spend my breaks productively like cleaning stuff or prepping dinners/lunches. Found I'm working harder at home in general, but that's a good thing imo.

But glad to see some positivity and others doing good! I know a lot of people who couldn't work from home and lost their jobs but it's good to see others doing fine still! Things are not great everywhere, but good to see it is still working out for some people.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Sep 11, 2017
373 posts
255 upvotes
I'm doing well. Was previously WFM 3 days a week so not much of a learning curve. My biggest challenge right now is dealing with egos and politics but that's a different thread. I'm also entering the prime of my career so I'm at a point where I know my worth and am delivering results on opportunities that most people may never get a chance to work on. That keeps me motivated...
Nov 10, 2015
323 posts
276 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Still lots of work in the trades..
For the industry commonly "frowned upon", we are now essential. Go figure!
Jan 25, 2015
724 posts
379 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I was able to work from home but i got laid off via zoom lol
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13856 posts
8903 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
You know it!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Dec 28, 2010
325 posts
123 upvotes
DirtPoor wrote: Thanks for sharing your positivity.

What kind of job do you have to be able to work at home?
white collar big corporate
mysticalinfluence wrote: Brah do you make 100K year too and wear Canada Goose? You might not be fat but your fattest douche bag on RFD.
kenchau66 wrote: you mean "you're"
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5438 posts
1177 upvotes
I have been fortunate to be working from home the past 6 weeks.

Employer also gave us $500 (taxable income) towards our 'wellbeing' account, which includes health/fitness classes/memberships/equipment, and expanded to include business equipment, which I used to purchase a 27" monitor and replacement toner cartridges for my printer.
Sep 29, 2014
216 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm employed with the federal government and currently working from home, and my contract was extended into 2021. I save a few hours a day on commuting and spend less money going out. This is morbid to say, but Coronavirus has greatly improved my day to day life. It has really driven home the fact that there needs to be more of a push for working from home in today's virtual age.

Things are looking up. I used to be upset about the pay discrepancy between public and private. Maybe the grass is not greener on the other side.
Last edited by Eragon on Apr 29th, 2020 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 27, 2016
36 posts
48 upvotes
My work has changed for the better. No more 1 hour commute since now I'm working from home. I work for the government so instead of pretending to be doing work for 8 hours, I can finish all of my work in a couple of hours and do whatever I want for the rest of the day. Horrible to say, but the coronavirus has greatly improved my life....
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
1785 posts
2575 upvotes
mikolyyyy wrote: I was able to work from home but i got laid off via zoom lol
Ain't gonna lie...laid off via Zoom must have really sucked.
Temporary layoff I hope...
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3961 posts
4141 upvotes
I'll just say this as matter of fact-ly so I don't cause any jealousy.

Yes, I'm thrilled at my work conditions as a result of COVID-19. Far more productive, as is most of my team. I could get used to this (minus COVID-19), of course. Have made a killing on the stock market as well, so all things being equal, this has been a good period.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2007
2186 posts
115 upvotes
Was already WFH before (in fact the whole company is remote) so really no changes.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
1785 posts
2575 upvotes
Am fortunate enough to be able to work remote but my heart does go out to all those RFDers who posted about losing their jobs during this pandemic.
Am in IT for first responders and we felt somewhat secure then my colleague was "no longer needed" last Thursday then packaged out. That could have been me.

Won't complain about being remote but it does have its additional stresses so its not all roses and whatnot.

Hopefully when this is over all those able and willing are back to work.

Cheers, KH
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1488 posts
1257 upvotes
Ottawa
My wife and I are both still working full time for the same pay in stable positions with no foreseeable risk to our jobs, albeit that work is from home. While there are distractions here, we're finding our work to be more efficient as a result. I don't see my office going back to the same way as it was before the shut downs; there will be a lot more support for remote work.

We have a toddler, but his grandma came for a visit in early March and stayed to help. So, our son gets to spend the days with grandma while my wife and I work, and visit us in our new basement offices whenever he wants.

We bought a house late last year and moved in January, away from a crappy apartment in a busy area to a single detached home in a quiet family oriented central Ottawa neighbourhood. We're fortunate to have found, before all this crap started, a house in a quiet area where we can physically distance while still getting physical activity.

No daycare or commute means I'm saving 1.5 hours a day and, while utilities and the food bill have jumped with 1 more adult in the house and the toddler that never stops eating home all day, we're saving money because we're not paying for daycare and maybe $20/month (instead of $100+) in gas. Those savings, including not being able to travel (we budget a fair amount for a yearly international vacation) mean we can start scheduling some exterior renovations on our home for when restrictions are lifted, and get them done a year or two earlier than initially planned.

There are challenges associated with being home all the time, and my passive investments have been on a bit of a roller coaster, but we're in a much better position than the majority of families so it's hard to complain.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4704 posts
1386 upvotes
0 downvotes
My Wife and I are deemed Essential by the Progressive Conservative Province of Ontario, so we both working. I`m Thankful to be employed, but it is sure hard with schools and day cares closed imagine having to watch Two very young children very very young children who cry, make noise, pee on them self, demand you all the time, get hungry, one still wears dipers, takes naps, etc. you have to also sit and teach them kindergarten curriculum ALL while trying to be productive at your work working from home on your computer answering important emails and partaking in conference calls with directors and senior managers. its not effing easy, but we are surviving and in good spirits. cant ask family for help cus they work too, live in another city as well, I already have a family member who is positive for covid, so its very hard. very very hard but people are rubbing it in my face oh your lucky your still working but they don`t know the hardships i'm facing., they only see the money
Hi
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
526 upvotes
mikolyyyy wrote: I was able to work from home but i got laid off via zoom lol
Just like in the movie 'Up in the Air'