Cell Phones

Anybody using Freedom Mobile in the Durham Region?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2018 4:32 pm
[OP]
Oct 29, 2009
631 posts
311 upvotes

Anybody using Freedom Mobile in the Durham Region?

Thinking of getting the $65/mo. Big Gig plan with iPhone 8 deal for my wife. She wants an Apple product (alas) and this seems by far the best deal going. We are currently with Virgin and they want several hundred dollars up front for the same phone, plus a much more expensive monthly charge. Only issue is whether or not we can expect good service from Freedom in the circles we travel. I've looked at the coverage map and we live fairly close to the northern edge of their Home LTE Network region however she does drive along Hwy7 towards Markham to get to work and there are some yellow "variable" regions along there.

Wondering if anybody has experience with Freedom in the east end of the GTA.
10 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20776 posts
8992 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't been with Freedom since the name change, but was a Wind customer for many years and frequent a lot of the Durham region, especially in summer (golf courses up north). I have to say their network is pretty spotty up there. Having switch out to Public Mobile, I can say with near 110% certainty, I would not be going back ever regardless of price. At work, I used to rely on one tower which provided a good signal throughout the building. As the customer base grew, the network performance was dragged to its knees. With Public Mobile (Bellus network), I have connected to 38 different towers at work. I don't know how Freedom can be compared to the big 3 and their flanker brands on network performance. It is just apples to oranges comparison. BTW, I still do monitor Freedom network upgrades around the work location. It is still the one tower that supplies the area.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
5645 posts
5060 upvotes
While on Telus I never lacked reception at any of the golf courses and I don't know how FM will fair. Probably not as well, but I have to drive the route you described frequently, so I tested the signal reception by playing Google Play throughout the drive and FM never missed a lyric. I have not driven north of 7 nor Winchester in Durham, but I have driven points south. I have also had "Home" reception from Markham north on the 404 and 400 up to Barrie.

Don't take someone else's word for it or mine as you can look at third party data to make your own decision. Try https://opensignal.com/networks to see the specific coverage you are looking for. I believe the data is from Nov'17, so some of it may have improved.
Images
  • Hwy 7 Open Signal.JPG
  • Hwy 7.JPG
[OP]
Oct 29, 2009
631 posts
311 upvotes
MrMom wrote: While on Telus I never lacked reception at any of the golf courses and I don't know how FM will fair. Probably not as well, but I have to drive the route you described frequently, so I tested the signal reception by playing Google Play throughout the drive and FM never missed a lyric. I have not driven north of 7 nor Winchester in Durham, but I have driven points south. I have also had "Home" reception from Markham north on the 404 and 400 up to Barrie.

Don't take someone else's word for it or mine as you can look at third party data to make your own decision. Try https://opensignal.com/networks to see the specific coverage you are looking for. I believe the data is from Nov'17, so some of it may have improved.
I was not aware of that site. Looks very useful. Thanks for pointing me to it!
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
15416 posts
4424 upvotes
Scarberia
rmember u have 15days to get refund back, but u still gotta pay for the plan for those 15 days...prolly like 30 bucks to test the speeds..u might get bad call receptions in certain places...im in scarborough tho...i don't use phone calls much tho...LTE speeds is pretty good in scarborough for my travels..downtown is every fast too
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Aug 15, 2015
42 posts
13 upvotes
North York, ON
in Whitby I have good reception and also all the way Whitby to Mississauga on 407 no loss of lte except a small area btw Hwy 27 and Hwy 427
i was with Rogers many years and i see no change in data speed and coverage since I switched to Freedom
Oct 10, 2014
267 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I used to be with Wind, had very spotty coverage in Durham, but also in Toronto!! I believe coverage along the major routes is "decent", but after that it depends where you live/work etc.

Also, when I used to live downtown, I found their signal didn't reach very high (I used to live on the 35th floor, always had issues even when I stood next to the window) and the signal doesn't penetrate inside buildings very well either (malls, workplaces, etc.).

IMO, it's worth it to pay for one of the big 3 (or their sub brands) if you need reliable service. Especially since they've been having some decent offers lately (Rogers/Fido currently has a migration plans of 4GB/$45, 6GB/$55).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
5645 posts
5060 upvotes
Was inside a building at Anderson and Dundas today and had LTE most of the time. It went to 3G occasionally. Always had data, NP sending and receiving texts and iMessages. FWIW
[OP]
Oct 29, 2009
631 posts
311 upvotes
Sounds like it's not a total disaster at least...
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33812 posts
7453 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
McGuillicuddy wrote: Sounds like it's not a total disaster at least...
How does a partial disaster make it any better?

Do you want your wife to have no cell service on her route to and from work in case there is an emergency? Is it worth the risk?