Travel

Anyone airbnb Disneyworld vs staying on site?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2019 2:13 pm
[OP]
Feb 16, 2018
940 posts
894 upvotes

Anyone airbnb Disneyworld vs staying on site?

If so did they have any regrets? We haven't been in about 10 years and our youngest 2 kids are a perfect age so we will be going in February and we were debating the pro's/cons of staying on site vs airbnb. Either way we will be driving down. We are a family of 5 so a lot of the budget friendly rooms are not available to us as they only sleep 4. I think the cheapest room rate we can get is about $389 night

Anyone do this and if so any regrets?
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5254 posts
1324 upvotes
Ottawa
It depends what your intention of your trip is. If you are planning on going to Disney parks almost every day, there are certainly a lot benefit of staying onsite (already onsite so faster to get to the parks (no matter how close an offsite rental is, that's just to the WDW entrance and it takes a while from the entrance to the parking to the park) (Even now that our kids are older, we often split up later in the day and one of us will stay at the park with our oldest while the other returns to the room with our youngest - this is not as easy if you are offsite), Extra Magic Hours (EMH) and 60 day FastPass reservation window) but if you are only planning on spending a few days at the parks and planning on doing other activities in Orlando and having quiet relaxing days, it's hard to ignore the benefits of staying offsite (value : in February (pretty low season as far as demand), you can probably get a 4 bedroom house with a private pool for $125/night within 20-30 minutes of WDW, having your own kitchen will mean you can save tons on food and arguably eat healthier, you will have more space and your kids will likely have more to do (other than swimming, most AirBnbs have multiple TVs, video games, toys, etc).

You don't mention the age (we've been taking our taking our kids since our youngest was around younger than 2 so I'm not sure what "perfect age" is (I kind of thought younger than 2 was perfect because he could fly and get in the parks for free!).
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1918 posts
353 upvotes
St. Johns
A family of 5 will have a tough time finding a more budget friendly room at Disney. If you decide to stay off-site, you will lose out on the 60 day fast pass window for resort guests. Not having the 60-day window for fast passes basically means you won't get any fast passes for the most popular rides. If you intend to do the most popular rides be prepared to wait in the normal line. You should also factor in $25 per day for parking at Disney parks (resort guests park for free at Disney Parks). Those are the two best benefits on staying on-site but resort guests also get access to extra magic hours (extended park hours for resort guests) and free transportation (which is no benefit if you are driving).
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1219 posts
1290 upvotes
BC
You can get some of the Disney onsite hotel perks (like the 60 days advance FastPass, free transport on Disney property, extended hours) with some Disney Springs Resort area hotels that are not owned or operated by Disney. You might be able to find something in your budget such as Holiday Inn or Best Western as there are 7 hotels to choose from.

You can get discount code from Mousesavers.com.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1932 posts
822 upvotes
HK
Unfortunately, Disney is expensive all-around.

It's ~ $400 USD/night. I'm going for the first time in Dec, so will have a better idea in terms of convenience.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2287 posts
646 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote: If so did they have any regrets? We haven't been in about 10 years and our youngest 2 kids are a perfect age so we will be going in February and we were debating the pro's/cons of staying on site vs airbnb. Either way we will be driving down. We are a family of 5 so a lot of the budget friendly rooms are not available to us as they only sleep 4. I think the cheapest room rate we can get is about $389 night

Anyone do this and if so any regrets?
When the kids were young we did Disneyworld as a family of 5 but rented a nice vacation home with the pool through VRBO. We didn't just do Disneyworld back in the day.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2318 posts
591 upvotes
Ontario
Stay off site. Its cheaper and more relaxing. There are plenty of houses or townhouses 10 min from Disney.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4492 posts
1046 upvotes
Regina
we stayed at summerbay through vrbo about 3 years ago...very reasonably prices 111 USD/night for a 2 bed 2 bath condo for next feb, they do have shuttles to and from disney - they arent great but we used them a few times...bbqs to use, heated pools, shuttle to grocery store....we didnt have a car and got by
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
12552 posts
9782 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
McKinsey wrote: Unfortunately, Disney is expensive all-around.

It's ~ $400 USD/night. I'm going for the first time in Dec, so will have a better idea in terms of convenience.
Disney ain’t cheap
But a lot depends on when you go too
You said December...
if it’s during a School Break (like Christmas is)
Then ya ... prices can be thru the roof

If it’s our first visit
I am sure it won’t be your last
Everyone seems blown away by Disney no matter their age
So then you kind of understand the costs involved
(It’s a lot of money to run a world class destination like this that is constantly evolving with new parks / attractions / rides ... not to mention upkeep)

And the convenience of being on site is unmatched for convenience
Being off site in a house w/ pool is equally awesome if your kids are older
Or if it’s an extended family trip
With Grandparents, Cousins etc
Lots of great houses around that can accommodate LARGE Families

In the end, a lot of families end up choosing to pull their kids out of school for a week mid winter
To get a break in the sun
And enjoy cheaper less crowded visits to Disney & Orlando
A week of missed school here and there, over 12+ years of education
Doesn’t really mess kids up
And well ... travel & experiencing new things is educational too
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5254 posts
1324 upvotes
Ottawa
webshark wrote: Stay off site. Its cheaper and more relaxing. There are plenty of houses or townhouses 10 min from Disney.
I can't disagree that it's cheaper and more relaxing but I think most offsite rentals are quite a bit more than 10 minutes away. They often say 10 minutes but there's always tons of traffic on the 192 so I think even the closest offsite is probably at least 15-20 minutes or more away and that's from the WDW entrance - you still have to wait to pay for parking, get to the parking, take the trolley-train to transportation area and then take monorail / boat / bus / whatever to the actual park so I think it's at least 30 minutes longer to get to a park from offsite versus onsite. Not saying that it's not worth it, just mentioning it to have realistic expectations.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1170 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
michelb wrote: I can't disagree that it's cheaper and more relaxing but I think most offsite rentals are quite a bit more than 10 minutes away. They often say 10 minutes but there's always tons of traffic on the 192 so I think even the closest offsite is probably at least 15-20 minutes or more away and that's from the WDW entrance - you still have to wait to pay for parking, get to the parking, take the trolley-train to transportation area and then take monorail / boat / bus / whatever to the actual park so I think it's at least 30 minutes longer to get to a park from offsite versus onsite. Not saying that it's not worth it, just mentioning it to have realistic expectations.
We are going there in November and have decided to stay on one of Disney's resort for this reason. The days are already going to start early and will be busy so one less thing to plan in the morning.....
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
1803 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
Went in April (first time at WDW) and stayed at All Star Sports. It was a package deal for Costco (hotel, tickets, airport transport all included + Universal Studios tickets).

Although it was the lowest end of the resort but damn it was clean, convenient, and best of all, transportation to/from the park + 60-days advanced Fast Pass + Magic Hours. We were out the door at 7:30 for opening and it was already packed but we were able to enjoy the rides without the crazy line-ups.

Overall, it certainly was a great experience and would definitely stay at the resort again.

Also went to Universal Studios (Harry Potter universe- freaken amazing!). Took Lyft ($22 ride each way) but got comped through Rogers USD CC.
Aug 3, 2017
306 posts
176 upvotes
I usually rent a house using Homeaway and get a decent 5/6/7 bedroom house shared with parents or another family for a week for the cost of about two nights at disney. As an added bonus, we get a house with our own pool and can cook in.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
9380 posts
4631 upvotes
Markham
Dragon120 wrote: Went in April (first time at WDW) and stayed at All Star Sports. It was a package deal for Costco (hotel, tickets, airport transport all included + Universal Studios tickets).

Although it was the lowest end of the resort but damn it was clean, convenient, and best of all, transportation to/from the park + 60-days advanced Fast Pass + Magic Hours. We were out the door at 7:30 for opening and it was already packed but we were able to enjoy the rides without the crazy line-ups.

Overall, it certainly was a great experience and would definitely stay at the resort again.

Also went to Universal Studios (Harry Potter universe- freaken amazing!). Took Lyft ($22 ride each way) but got comped through Rogers USD CC.
If you're only doing Disney, then you don't have to rent a vehicle if you stay on site. Added to that,
Early entry means hitting some rides quickly which means you can leave sooner and say you've done it and not dealing with parking vehicles benefits are worth it IMO.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
13984 posts
11023 upvotes
Richmond Hill
DW is hectic enough as it is. Staying onsite is worth it just to cutdown on the commute/parking/shuttle and do that all again at end of day. I’ve seen the line ups for the trolley at closing at MK and what a shit show that is, no way in hell would I ever want to go through that especially with young kids. IMO, part of the experience at DW is also trying out the food/snacks.