Travel

Anyone been to Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Tulum lately?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2019 4:03 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4519 upvotes
Alberta

Anyone been to Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Tulum lately?

Anyone been here lately, is there still a sargassum invasion in the area? A friend of mine was there a few months ago this year and he said that it was really bad.
9 replies
Jan 8, 2009
785 posts
439 upvotes
GTA
You can check the state of Playa del Carmen and Akumal (closer to Tulum) on these two webcams:

https://www.locogringo.com/akumal-beach-webcam/

https://www.playadelcarmen.com/information/webcam

It doesn't currently look too bad but they were clearing the beach at Playa del Carmen when I first pulled them up and they hadn't raked/cleaned up Akumal yet.

There is a citizens monitoring group here on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RedSargazo/ and they put up maps every few days with reported levels and lots of members post pictures of various beaches.
Jan 17, 2017
243 posts
142 upvotes
It's been off and on for a few years now. Id be surprised if this is not the new norm.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2598 posts
1786 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I would avoid Akumal - Playa Del Carmen and the whole Riviera Maya if you want a guaranteed beach. As the seaweed varies.

If you are going December onwards the cool temperatures tend to clear the seaweed.

Cancun (proper the long part of the 7) - Playa Mujeres and Isla Mujeres would be my recommendation.

I was in Isla & Playa Mujeres at the beginning of August for leisure. I flew out last Monday and stayed in Cancun and had a few meetings along the beginning Riviera Maya to Puerto Morelos (seaweed certainly present) I just got home 2 days ago/ Thursday night.
Banned
May 4, 2019
214 posts
51 upvotes
I went 3 years ago and I found the staff regularly cleaning it off the shores of the beaches.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4519 upvotes
Alberta
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yeah, we're thinking about booking a trip in December. A clean beach would be nice. But I guess it's just a crap shoot in the Riviera Maya.

Thanks for the webcam links jrbb0309. Looks like quite a bit of seaweed in the water and edge of the beach.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4519 upvotes
Alberta
On the webcam it looks like they’re doing a cleanup on Akumal Beach today. Doesn’t look too promising.
Jan 17, 2017
243 posts
142 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: On the webcam it looks like they’re doing a cleanup on Akumal Beach today. Doesn’t look too promising.
Today's webcam for akumal would be average. It really gets much worse than that. When it gets really bad the first 20 feet of water are covered in sargassum and huge natural piles.

Or it could be absolutely perfect. It's unprediactable.

Just like the weather in December could be rain most days. Just another risk of a sun vacation.

Sargassum is affecting other places in the Caribbean, so research if you decide elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2598 posts
1786 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
jackrabbit000 wrote: On the webcam it looks like they’re doing a cleanup on Akumal Beach today. Doesn’t look too promising.
If you are travelling in late Nov / December onwards I wouldn’t worry too much about seaweed. For whatever reason it tends to clear up with cooler sea temperatures (Dec & Jan are the coolest months).

There are some beaches/resorts however on Riviera Maya that tend to always have more seaweed unfavourable beach conditions (even before this sargassum issue). I have a few photos (personally taken by me) to compare that I can dig out.

Also be aware of Trip Advisor- It was brought to our attention recently that areas/resorts severely affected by seaweed are hiding RECENT “traveller photo” section on trip advisor. conveniently showing VERY old photos on the trip advisor app (dating back even 10 years ago!) Have not confirmed if this is the case with using a desktop version. I know once upon a time Trip Advisor was a subsidiary of Expedia Group believe they still have an interest in it- so keep that in mind. Actually just heard about this in a meeting yesterday so take this with a grain of salt (and check the date the photos were posted when browsing TA).
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1589 posts
1261 upvotes
Montreal
Currently at Riviera Maya and it's pretty bad for the past 2 days. Winds were high yesterday. They do a pretty good job at maintaining the beaches clear.

A good amount of see weed in the water as the time I wrote this.

I couldn't care less because I rarely go in the water. Winking Face

My time is with the family and the bar. Clinking Beer Mugs