Cell Phones

Anyone buy a phone from Aliexpress recently?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2019 12:29 am
[OP]
Jan 2, 2012
69 posts
21 upvotes

Anyone buy a phone from Aliexpress recently?

I bought a phone on Black Friday from the Xiaomi store with free shipping. It hasn't even been shipped yet and they sent me a message a week ago asking me to extend processing time. I'm actually considering cancelling the order. What's the point of getting a good deal if by the time you get the phone the price you paid will be the regular price anyways? My first ever purchase on Aliexpress btw.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19960 posts
8056 upvotes
Toronto
This can happen. Decision is up to you.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
182 posts
188 upvotes
I try to use Amazon instead others (I don't mind paying $10 - $15 more) as long as they have the staff ...
new motto: Diversity is a great thing; but unity, unity, unity is Canada’s strength
by Rex Murphy
Jun 2, 2002
479 posts
186 upvotes
The deal is obviously good since they are having trouble sourcing devices without a loss. But if you suspect anything funny then just do nothing (and let it time out) and the system will give you the money back. It's also a way to put pressure on them since they get demerit points for not being able to fulfil an order .. so they would rather you cancel (and take the blame) then them failing at processing the order. Good luck.

EDIT: just a thought, if you bought something which requires "global ROM" on China-domestic device, it can take over 30 days to unlock by Xiaomi which sometimes delays the shipment. Is this what happened?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8896 posts
687 upvotes
Ordered the Xiaomi Note 8 Pro on Nov 11 and used the free shipping, received it on Dec 9.

This is my 5+ times ordering from AliExpress, and I always use the standard shipping. The fastest time was 12 days delivery without paying extra. But normally is about a month.

Note: I have experienced several times that they didn't ship the item till 7-10 days after the order though. So, the actually shipping time is actually only 2-3 weeks.
Sep 20, 2016
104 posts
46 upvotes
There is a ton of this going on on the OnePlus 7T thread also.

To the point that one ALI Express vendor is telling people their order shipped, giving them a tracking number, then two weeks later sending a message to say that they were accidentally given the wrong tracking number and here is the real one. They only have actually shipped the phone when they give that second tracking number. The first is to hold you off a while longer from complaining.

From the vendors point of view, if you cancel they can sell your phone for a higher price to the next guy which is why they are dragging their feet.

In other news, I ordered a spectre x360 on the Black Friday weekend that still hasnt shipped yet. Every week, they tell me (with some attitude) that it will ship in 24-48 hours. Its like chasing a deadbeat tenant around. The entire time that machine has been "in stock and ready to ship" on the website. Never at as good a price as I got. So maybe everyone is ALI Express now.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2750 posts
756 upvotes
Scarborough
After 3-4mth of immersing, I've come to a sad disappointing conclusion that ali, mi & umi can go pound salt, not deserving my patronage. I know I know they could care less.

Hello Moto! Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Nov 11, 2006
665 posts
715 upvotes
@ home
When I ordered a phone, they asked to extend the time ..

Did nothing .. didn't even respond.

It showed up a few weeks later.
[OP]
Jan 2, 2012
69 posts
21 upvotes
miji2 wrote: The deal is obviously good since they are having trouble sourcing devices without a loss. But if you suspect anything funny then just do nothing (and let it time out) and the system will give you the money back. It's also a way to put pressure on them since they get demerit points for not being able to fulfil an order .. so they would rather you cancel (and take the blame) then them failing at processing the order. Good luck.

EDIT: just a thought, if you bought something which requires "global ROM" on China-domestic device, it can take over 30 days to unlock by Xiaomi which sometimes delays the shipment. Is this what happened?

I bought a "Global Version Xiaomi Mi A3 4GB 128GB" and the total was $205, so yes, a decent deal but I had no idea it would take this long to ship. The status of my order is still "awaiting shipment" with 13 days left.