Travel

Anyone buying pounds? And best way to get foreign currency?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2016 6:34 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 18, 2008
90 posts
22 upvotes
Halifax

Anyone buying pounds? And best way to get foreign currency?

Still in shock over the Brexit vote, but looking for a bit of a silver lining. We plan to travel to the UK next year, so it seems like a good time to buy pounds. I could go to my bank, but wondering if anyone's got a better way? (I am in NS, so may not have "walk up" access to some methods.)
7 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36185 posts
10325 upvotes
Ottawa
The pound only dropped 12 cents against the Canadian dollar and the Canadian dollar dropped 1.37 cents to the US. Hardly a silver lining when our dollar tanked more percentage than the pound :)
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
5653 posts
9152 upvotes
Montreal
You know where the pound will be next year? You are good because I don't.

And it seems even the "experts" didn't know either Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday because they bid up the pound.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
[OP]
May 18, 2008
90 posts
22 upvotes
Halifax
Yeah, I know. It's probably not worth the trouble, and there's no way I know that a regular consumer would've been able to jump on the bouncing around yesterday. It may even improve from our perspective--though for the UK/EU's sake, I hope the economic fallout for them is less than we expect. Me saving a few hundred bucks isn't a fair trade for all that Europe stands to lose!
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
736 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: The pound only dropped 12 cents against the Canadian dollar and the Canadian dollar dropped 1.37 cents to the US. Hardly a silver lining when our dollar tanked more percentage than the pound :)
Except when our dollar drops, its good for exports. Our biggest trading partner is the US. Its actually a good thing as long as the US economy is strong.

They just got out of the EU and their pound is dropping.

Go ahead and buy pounds if you really think their currency is solid right now. :D
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36185 posts
10325 upvotes
Ottawa
kevindurant1 wrote: Except when our dollar drops, its good for exports. Our biggest trading partner is the US. Its actually a good thing as long as the US economy is strong.

They just got out of the EU and their pound is dropping.

Go ahead and buy pounds if you really think their currency is solid right now. :D
I was not addressing Canadian exports.
I was or am not buying British pounds.
The OP was asking if to buy and where.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
736 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I was not addressing Canadian exports.
I was or am not buying British pounds.
The OP was asking if to buy and where.
You started talking about canadian dollar and how its tanking when OP was talking about buying pounds.

Nice try.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36185 posts
10325 upvotes
Ottawa
kevindurant1 wrote: You started talking about canadian dollar and how its tanking when OP was talking about buying pounds.

Nice try.
No kevindurant, I was responding exactly to what the OP stated "looking for a bit of a silver lining" and, I commented that as a result of our dollar "tanking", there was no silver lining. No comment on the economics.
You are out of context. Get with the program.