Shopping Discussion

Anyone with Carrytel? what are they like?

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2022 11:17 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jr. Member
Apr 26, 2019
127 posts
49 upvotes

Anyone with Carrytel? what are they like?

Where are they based out of? Any issues with not being reliable such as constant crashes/outages? Any hidden data caps/throttle condition such as having a data cap but they say it's "Unlimited" when you call in? Assuming they are a Reseller/3rd party, who do they represent? They are the cheapest Option I could Find to replace Rogers, currently will be paying $84.99+HST for Ignite 150U & from what I can see, home phone is/will still be $23.41+HST with the standard long distance plan so $108.40+HST=$122.49/month for Rogers, while with Carrytel they currently have a promo that ends tomorrow for new customers to get 150 Down/15 Up Unlimited Data for $34.99/month, they also have Unlimited Canada Wide Home Phone for $4.99/month so if we can get the promo, it'll be $34.99+$4.99=$39.98+13% HST=$45.18/month compared to the $122.49 to Rogers for the same.
22 replies
Jr. Member
Apr 25, 2018
195 posts
221 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
$35/month for the first month? their website is tricky
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 31, 2006
8003 posts
2339 upvotes
Toronto
$35 for Rogers Ignite?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22298 posts
3161 upvotes
There's a few mega threads on carrytel here.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37787 posts
23862 upvotes
Center of Universe
Check out Ebox.
I'm using their internet service right now in parallel with robber's and the speed is consistent 24/7, with no throttling.
Sr. Member
Feb 5, 2007
816 posts
399 upvotes
Mississauga
Have FTTN. No problems, reuse the same Bell connection (same as CIK)
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1083 posts
737 upvotes
Ottawa
I was with Carrytel for 6 mos. last year. They used the same Rogers line I was with before and am back on. Carrytel required a $50 modem deposit which is now a required purchase which I'm not a fan of.
Member
Sep 3, 2018
302 posts
163 upvotes
They have increased their prices recently. For better prices I would check out IVC Telecom at this moment.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4530 posts
1093 upvotes
Toronto
I've been with Carrytel for a couple of years. I pretty consistently get the speeds I pay for. A few outages over the years (including one full-day outage this April) but otherwise OK.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
16921 posts
14509 upvotes
GTA, ON
JHW wrote: I've been with Carrytel for a couple of years. I pretty consistently get the speeds I pay for. A few outages over the years (including one full-day outage this April) but otherwise OK.
To which the credited back $5 for everyone. If it was Rogers or Bell they'd tell ya to go shove it.

Carrytel is okay. I get a couple of drop offs here and there which can be annoying, but that could also my issue (be a line issue.)
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Newbie
User avatar
Sep 2, 2007
32 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
I had the 75M plan with them for the last 2 years. I think they use rogers or bell depending on plan and area. Speed is good, there has been some regular outages (eg. once a month) that would have been shared across all providers. One major outage happened a few months ago and lasted from 11am to 11pm, in which they credited $5 off the next bill. There also seems to be a recurring outage around 2 days per week at 3am, in which case it's my signal to head to bed.

I recently moved homes and the cancellation with them was quick and smooth. I would recommend them.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 15, 2001
3336 posts
1125 upvotes
Toronto
i had them for a about two years before i moved. in my area it was cable, based off rogers.

it was pretty solid. got the advertised speed, minimal downtime.

their office is in North York (kinda close to scarborough border).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37787 posts
23862 upvotes
Center of Universe
Ryshi wrote: I had the 75M plan with them for the last 2 years. I think they use rogers or bell depending on plan and area. Speed is good, there has been some regular outages (eg. once a month) that would have been shared across all providers. One major outage happened a few months ago and lasted from 11am to 11pm, in which they credited $5 off the next bill. There also seems to be a recurring outage around 2 days per week at 3am, in which case it's my signal to head to bed.

I recently moved homes and the cancellation with them was quick and smooth. I would recommend them.
That's not normal...
Sr. Member
Jan 7, 2006
722 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
I've had 2 accounts with Carrytel since mid/late 2016 at opposite ends of the city, before that had Teksavvy/Rogers at each place. Carrytel seems to have more outages in the early mornings as noted above, but I'm usually sleeping so it doesn't bother me... plus it hasn't happened much in the past year or so. Teksavvy and Rogers have had their fair share of mini outages, but never for the entire working day like Carrytel did in April (which somebody also mentioned, they gave a credit for).

You can churn providers to get better deals and faster service if you have the time and patience for that stuff.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4530 posts
1093 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote: To which the credited back $5 for everyone. If it was Rogers or Bell they'd tell ya to go shove it.
I don't doubt it, but I would rather have had Internet that day than have the $5 credit. That outage really messed up my work day.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 19, 2006
10948 posts
5874 upvotes
Toronto
they do maintenance every night ? at around 245am - 3 am ?
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7214 posts
6391 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: That's not normal...
It was normal when on Rogers as well (outages for a while every few months) and sometimes in early morning like 3am or so to lose connection for like 10-15mins once or twice a month
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37787 posts
23862 upvotes
Center of Universe
StatsGuy wrote: It was normal when on Rogers as well (outages for a while every few months) and sometimes in early morning like 3am or so to lose connection for like 10-15mins once or twice a month
Must be regional.
I've never experienced reoccurring outages with Robbers.
Newbie
Aug 18, 2012
2 posts
2 upvotes
Brantford
Worst service available. I prepay my bill yearly, hardly any discount. constant bandwidth throttling even though they say it is unlimited. I have outdated modem from them. They blame everything else but themselves or their service. I send emails all the time because it is the only way to complain and reach them beyond their office hours. My suggestion " STAY WAY FROM CARRYTEL "

Top