Computers & Electronics

anyone with a dell G5/xps 8940 power supply ticking/buzzing?

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2021 8:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1121 posts
208 upvotes

anyone with a dell G5/xps 8940 power supply ticking/buzzing?

anyone notice during everyday use , a faint ticking/buzzing coming from the psu? just wondering if anyone encountered the same, thanks

its definitely not whisper quiet
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4467 posts
4630 upvotes
GTA
I don't have one but I have no doubt you're hearing it. Some people complain about the PS5's power supply humming also. Sadly this seems to be a more common issue in electronics.
I'm sure you already did, but did you look it up on YouTube? Maybe you'll find a solution there.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4630 posts
1265 upvotes
That sounds like the power outlet you're using isn't grounded properly. A low hum or buzz coming from electronics is common with improperly grounded outlets. Have you tried other outlets?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1121 posts
208 upvotes
Mulder and Scully wrote: That sounds like the power outlet you're using isn't grounded properly. A low hum or buzz coming from electronics is common with improperly grounded outlets. Have you tried other outlets?
I haven't, thanks, i'll try that
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1121 posts
208 upvotes
wasn't the outlet, very faint but sounds like electrical buzzing....
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4467 posts
4630 upvotes
GTA
jeff69dini wrote: wasn't the outlet, very faint but sounds like electrical buzzing....
Building on Mulder and Scully's suggestion, perhaps the power cable itself? Do you have a compatible cable to swap it with for a quick test? Maybe borrow from another device with the same plug just to try.

Bar that, just give it a good sideways smack?
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1121 posts
208 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: Building on Mulder and Scully's suggestion, perhaps the power cable itself? Do you have a compatible cable to swap it with for a quick test? Maybe borrow from another device with the same plug just to try.

Bar that, just give it a good sideways smack?
lol, not the cable, from what I read online, might be common to these small form factor psu
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4467 posts
4630 upvotes
GTA
jeff69dini wrote: lol, not the cable, from what I read online, might be common to these small form factor psu
No what I mean is swap the cable to see if it has a faulty ground.
But yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it is the PSU. Send it in for warranty then?
c'mon get happy!