Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5973 posts
1286 upvotes
Montreal

Anyone Drive a Chevy Spark?

My wife and i would like to change our car.

We used to have 2 cars but went down to 1 a couple of years ago. At that time, we kept her Accent 2012 5 Door GL and gave up our Elantra Limited which was fully loaded. She much prefers a small car and the Elantra was uncomfortable for her.

I don't mind the Accent but miss the features of the Elantra. At first, we were interested in a Chevy Trax but we test drove it yesterday and she finds it too big. The salesman pointed us toward a Spark 2LT. We test drove it and rather liked it but wonder if we shouldn't spend another $5,000 and get a more substantial car. After our trade-in, it would cost under $19,000 all in. They are throwing in 2 years of oil changes, and a $750 winter tire credit. The 2LT model has pretty much every option I miss from the Elantra and more like backup camera, moonroof, (fake) leather seats, push button start, Sirius XM, lane departure warning, collision avoidance, emergency braking, and rear parking sensors. It also includes a basic trailer hitch for a bicycle rack.

So I have to say the car surprised me but I wonder if I'll ultimately be dissatisfied with it. We actually do less than 8,000 kms per year most of which is in the city. My other options at the moment would be a Prius C which would cost about $9,000 more or an Elantra GT which is only slightly bigger than the Accent. I haven't priced it yet.

Another car I'm interested in is the Hyundai Venue which arrives in Canada in November but probably won't be widely available for a few months after that.

Opinions?
Phils
26 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20105 posts
5538 upvotes
Good Morning
It's a decent option for a small car but the CVT can be very loud. My workplace uses GM vehicles for their fleet, mostly Malibu's, Cruzes and Equinox but for some odd reason we have one Spark. It's a zippy car that's great for putting around downtown but it's a bit loud and anemic on the highway.

It's at 40,000 km and so far just the oil changes have been done. Have you looked at the Kia Rio or Honda Fit?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5973 posts
1286 upvotes
Montreal
Yeah, I've looked at the Rio and it was fine.
The reason why I started this thread is the Spark is a new option I've never considered before.

My impression is that it has a lot of features for the money but lacks acceleration power and back seat space.

It's good to know that it's been reliable for your company so far.
Phils
Feb 17, 2015
921 posts
1082 upvotes
Canada
Chevy Trax is too big for you? Hope you guys are not mistaken it with the Traverse.
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
867 upvotes
Spark will do you fine with low mileage that you will put on.. Prius C waste of $$ with very low mileage...if you like the Spark try a Yaris hatchback...pretty much same car as the Prius C and cheaper...far better car then the Spark..worth a bit more $$ to buy...avoid the sedan as it is actually a Mazda 2 built by Mazda in Mexico...the Yaris hatch will outlive both of you...lol
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5973 posts
1286 upvotes
Montreal
Yes, it was Trax. We started out on a test drive and we didn't get out of the parking lot before my wife said it was too big. I quickly turned around and put it back in its parking space.

The way I figure it, a Prius C even with low mileage will save me between $350 and $00 a year in gas at today's prices. I realize, there's a premium to buy a Prius but that model is discontinued after the 2019 model year and I'm hoping for a deal. So far I've struck out.

Whereas I would have considered a Yaris a year or so ago, I don't want anything to do with Mazda. It's too bad because their Mazda 3 is the perfect size. Years ago, my wife really wanted a Mazda Protege 5. Our friends warned us that they had nothing but problems with their Mazda and to stay away. We figured they had a lemon and didn't listen - big mistake. So I won't touch a Mazda. Isn't the Yaris hatch now made by Mazda as well?

Anyway, my wife and I agree that the Spark would be a good second car but with us only having one car now, we want something more.
Phils
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2168 posts
678 upvotes
Montreal
Phils wrote: Yes, it was Trax. We started out on a test drive and we didn't get out of the parking lot before my wife said it was too big. I quickly turned around and put it back in its parking space.

The way I figure it, a Prius C even with low mileage will save me between $350 and $00 a year in gas at today's prices. I realize, there's a premium to buy a Prius but that model is discontinued after the 2019 model year and I'm hoping for a deal. So far I've struck out.

Whereas I would have considered a Yaris a year or so ago, I don't want anything to do with Mazda. It's too bad because their Mazda 3 is the perfect size. Years ago, my wife really wanted a Mazda Protege 5. Our friends warned us that they had nothing but problems with their Mazda and to stay away. We figured they had a lemon and didn't listen - big mistake. So I won't touch a Mazda. Isn't the Yaris hatch now made by Mazda as well?

Anyway, my wife and I agree that the Spark would be a good second car but with us only having one car now, we want something more.
I thought only the Yaris sedan was a rebadged Mazda, the hatchback still a real Toyota.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4182 posts
4311 upvotes
GTA
Phils wrote: My wife and i would like to change our car.

We used to have 2 cars but went down to 1 a couple of years ago. At that time, we kept her Accent 2012 5 Door GL and gave up our Elantra Limited which was fully loaded. She much prefers a small car and the Elantra was uncomfortable for her.

My other options at the moment would be a Prius C which would cost about $9,000 more or an Elantra GT which is only slightly bigger than the Accent. I haven't priced it yet.
I thought the Elantra was too big? Why are you even considering another one?
Phils wrote: Whereas I would have considered a Yaris a year or so ago, I don't want anything to do with Mazda. It's too bad because their Mazda 3 is the perfect size. Years ago, my wife really wanted a Mazda Protege 5. Our friends warned us that they had nothing but problems with their Mazda and to stay away. We figured they had a lemon and didn't listen - big mistake. So I won't touch a Mazda. Isn't the Yaris hatch now made by Mazda as well?
It sounds like you guys are looking for a compact car. That's what your Accent is. Other options would be a Civic or Corolla. But cars like the Prius, Yaris, and Spark are all sub-compacts. You even threw a sub-compact CUV (Trax) into the mix. You guys need to decided exactly what segment you want, and then focus your search.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5973 posts
1286 upvotes
Montreal
I'll be visiting a Toyota dealer soon and check about the Yaris hatchback.
Phils
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14045 posts
8131 upvotes
Toronto
derass wrote: I thought the Elantra was too big? Why are you even considering another one?

It sounds like you guys are looking for a compact car. That's what your Accent is. Other options would be a Civic or Corolla. But cars like the Prius, Yaris, and Spark are all sub-compacts. You even threw a sub-compact CUV (Trax) into the mix. You guys need to decided exactly what segment you want, and then focus your search.
I agree.

Elantra GT and Mazda 3 are both bigger than the current Accent, and you said OP that you had an Elantra that you sold as it was too big.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4182 posts
4311 upvotes
GTA
Oops. I got my Hyundai's mixed up. The Elantra is compact, and the Accent is sub-compact.

I would consider the Mazda 3 to be compact at well.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5973 posts
1286 upvotes
Montreal
I had the Elantra sedan.

The Elantra GT hatchback is bigger than the Accent for sure but seems quite a bit smaller to me than the sedan.
Phils
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
10112 posts
1923 upvotes
CuriousJack wrote: Chevy Trax is too big for you? Hope you guys are not mistaken it with the Traverse.
Some women are quite sized challenged meaning they fear and feel uncomfortable with compact cars and above due to lack of good driving skills. Might be worthwhile to gift them a certificate of advance driving course instead of buying a smaller car to accommodate.
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
10112 posts
1923 upvotes
Would just choose a Elantra GT if OP is more comfortable with Hyundai.

Drove it a few time, quite a good handler and not too big.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14771 posts
9190 upvotes
Toronto
I owned a sonic, fantastic car. Got 60000kms worry free and got a job closer to home so I didn't need it. I had the ltz mt. It was a 2012 and I got it in 2013 with 12000kms on the odo, said bye in 2017. Paid $13500+hst. Very quick/very go kartish.
Chevs are awesome at just more than quality and reliability. Depreciation appreciation. I would totally go for a spark, IF, it was going to be a keeper car.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
867 upvotes
Phils wrote: I'll be visiting a Toyota dealer soon and check about the Yaris hatchback.
They are an amazing car...it appears the 2019 may be the end of the Toyota built Yaris hatch as it will be moving to Mazda as well at which time I would not touch it....
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
Fjr2005 wrote: They are an amazing car...it appears the 2019 may be the end of the Toyota built Yaris hatch as it will be moving to Mazda as well at which time I would not touch it....
is Mazda so bad ? ... didn't they improve ?
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
867 upvotes
They are fine but not a Toyota...and built in Mexico...some might not care..I do..
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2651 posts
1901 upvotes
Markham
The Spark is one of the micro cars, it competes against the Nissan Micra and the Mitsubishi Mirage, between all three of these, only the Micra is half decent. The Mirage is the worst car I've ever driven from a technical standpoint, its not my most hated but I struggle to find anything good to say about it other than its kind of cheap. The Spark is slightly less bad than the Mirage, if the Mirage didn't exist...this might be next in line for worst car I've driven. Essentially trash tier, I strongly don't recommend it at all. If you must have something this small, the Nissan Micra is the best of the bunch simply because it can actually move. Its no rocket ship but with the 1.6L its not the slowest thing either. Its worst aspect is the mexican build quality, sadly mexican assembled nissans don't hold together too well, but its cheap.

In the subcompact side, with the Yaris there are 2 versions the hatchback and the sedan. I recommend the sedan which is essentially a rebadged Mazda 2. Why not the full on Toyota hatchback? Simple, that car is a relic, its engine was a new thing back in...2000, therefore you will get 20th century fuel economy. Its not modern in any way except the new Toyota Safety sense systems. Tolerable as a used car buy, but as a new car its a Toyota that's genuinely not worth much, you're far better off buying the Corolla hatchback instead of this thing. The sedan on the other hand is a modern design and shockingly nice to drive. Although its made in Mexico, I haven't seen serious issues with Mazdas from there. Kia Rio and Hyundai Accent are alright. Honda Fit is an ok choice as well, although a bit too expensive. I don't really recommend the Nissan Note, it has the same engine as the Micra but its heavier and thus its more wheezy and weak combined with the same Nissan mexican build quality.

Personally if you were even looking at the Trax, which is overpriced, I strongly recommend the compact car class. Most of the major improvements in cars is found in that category rather than either micro car or subcompact. You have the Toyota Corolla which for once is actually modern both sedan and hatch are quite good. The Honda Civic is a decent choice, although only recommend the 2.0L engine, the 1.5 turbo may have oil dilution issues so best to avoid that. Mazda has a compelling choice in the 3 although its kind of pricey too. The Subaru Impreza is a spacious and comfortable choice, it has AWD as well if that was what originally made you like the Trax. VW Golf is a solid car, I can't say much about its longevity but as a new car its very nice. Then we have the Kia Forte and Hyundai Elantra, I prefer the Forte because the updates Kia made were much needed, versus the Elantra which is slightly dated now. The only bad choice in this segment really is the Nissan Sentra, aging and has nothing going for it.

Anything I've noted, I've driven them. Working in fleet cars allows you to drive far more cars than one could ever own.
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
867 upvotes
LOL...everyone is entitle to an opinion