Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13264 posts
2611 upvotes
Pacific Ocean

Anyone eaten edamame here??

Someone gave me a package of edamame beans... basically immature soy beans still in the pods. I understand you just boil them from frozen for usually 6-8 minutes, pop open the outer pod and eat the soy beans. Are the outside green pods not edible like green beans are?? if so... why sell them in the pods and not as the soybeans themselves like peas are?? Seems redundant. Any1 try them? What do they taste like?
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5660 posts
2496 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Had some in Kyoto last month.

Tradition, I guess. The pod is pretty fibrous and a bit hairy. You could probably eat it if you're short of roughage.

Taste is pretty neutral (not sweet like an english pea) and maybe more for the texture. Sprinkle a bit of coarse sea salt on the pods before you eat. Just bought (frozen) bags of it (and a bag of shelled beans) the other day on a 2fer sale.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1805 posts
1329 upvotes
GTA West
They are popular in some of the all you can eat sushi places. I had them most recently at August 8 in Hamilton. You pop the peas out of the pod with your fingers or with your teeth. They are mild but there is usually a spicy seasoning on them. They are pleasant enough that we usually order them.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44604 posts
7687 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Dealmaker1945 wrote: They are popular in some of the all you can eat sushi places. I had them most recently at August 8 in Hamilton. You pop the peas out of the pod with your fingers or with your teeth. They are mild but there is usually a spicy seasoning on them. They are pleasant enough that we usually order them.
I got 2 big bags of it for $3.00
@ t&t i think
Feb 5, 2017
44 posts
17 upvotes
Boil them and season with salt and pepper. Another alternative for salted peanuts but somewhat healthy. Cheers..
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9238 posts
3569 upvotes
I like to toss them with tamari. If I want to get fancy I heat tamari with a little cornstarch and touch of sugar until it is thick and thin it out again with lime juice for the sauce. Don't add the lime juice when the heat is on because it loses something when you cook it.

Texture is like fresh garden peas, not at all grainy like other beans; taste has a bit of tofu-ness to it.

They're really available everywhere now. Walmart has 1 lb shell-on or shelled for $2.97.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2192 posts
854 upvotes
they do sell them without the pods in Asian supermarket but they don't taste as good. I guess the pod give it more taste and more fun when you peel it. Just like some dry seed and nut. It is just better with the shell. i.e pistachio, water melon seed.
Any man who tells you he enjoys a cold shower will lie about other things

Ronald Reagan