Off Topic

Anyone else addicted to clicking of scam Yahoo front page ads??

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2016 8:50 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6141 posts
1995 upvotes
Thornhill

Anyone else addicted to clicking of scam Yahoo front page ads??

My firefox blocks Yahoo's front page sponsored ads,but not Chrome. Most of these ads are "this is what happens before heart attack" or "real reason your pc is slow" or "amazing pictures of what movie stars really look like" etc.
Those are garbage ads and I can't help,but click on them 3-4 times a week to make the advertisers pay. Anyone else does it? I bet each click is like $9-20 and with millions of views every day, it seems people behind those ads are well funded as they are spending hundreds of thousands of $ every month. The
The funny part, some of these are losing that money as they are not really selling anything! Ads such as "See disgusting Justin Bieber Jet" brings you to a page with no ads, just a slideshow of various planes of rich people and most of these ads run by the same parent companies and it seems they are spending millions of $ every year! I've been seeing those ads for at least a year now!
I often use voice typing and rarely read what I had typed...
10 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3095 posts
463 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
get adblock for chrome or use brave. No one has any idea what you are talking about because they never see it.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4564 posts
2504 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
dazz wrote: My firefox blocks Yahoo's front page sponsored ads,but not Chrome. Most of these ads are "this is what happens before heart attack" or "real reason your pc is slow" or "amazing pictures of what movie stars really look like" etc.
Those are garbage ads and I can't help,but click on them 3-4 times a week to make the advertisers pay. Anyone else does it? I bet each click is like $9-20 and with millions of views every day, it seems people behind those ads are well funded as they are spending hundreds of thousands of $ every month. The
The funny part, some of these are losing that money as they are not really selling anything! Ads such as "See disgusting Justin Bieber Jet" brings you to a page with no ads, just a slideshow of various planes of rich people and most of these ads run by the same parent companies and it seems they are spending millions of $ every year! I've been seeing those ads for at least a year now!
Sorry you're losing your time.

Almost all ads are pay per view, not pay by click.

They don't care if you click or not. If you want to hurt them, use an ads blocker
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16897 posts
1742 upvotes
Thornhill
I'm gonna write a Greasemonkey script that just clicks on everything. I'll kick it off overnight when there's unlimited Teksavvy internet and then check on it in the morning. This'll be fun.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6141 posts
1995 upvotes
Thornhill
vonblock wrote:
dazz wrote: My firefox blocks Yahoo's front page sponsored ads,but not Chrome. Most of these ads are "this is what happens before heart attack" or "real reason your pc is slow" or "amazing pictures of what movie stars really look like" etc.

They don't care if you click or not. If you want to hurt them, use an ads blocker
Well, per per view is even worse since it's a front page of Yahoo on the main spot with 10s of millions of views daily! That's worth even more so perhaps all I have to do is install a reloader, run yahoo page on a few dozen browser tabs and reload every 5 seconds. I bet 100,000 views for 10 of their ads will cost them a pretty penny every day. Muahahaha
I often use voice typing and rarely read what I had typed...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
6981 posts
958 upvotes
Ottawa
dazz wrote:
vonblock wrote:

Well, per per view is even worse since it's a front page of Yahoo on the main spot with 10s of millions of views daily! That's worth even more so perhaps all I have to do is install a reloader, run yahoo page on a few dozen browser tabs and reload every 5 seconds. I bet 100,000 views for 10 of their ads will cost them a pretty penny every day. Muahahaha
Won't work because the ad tracking systems would not count views coming from the same ip address in such a short period of time. Face it, there's nothing you can do to them.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4564 posts
2504 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
dazz wrote:
vonblock wrote:

Sorry, it's also IP tracked.

If it's on the Yahoo main page, the cost of each view just be extremely low, probably 1$ per 1k view.
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
vonblock wrote:

Clicking on content means viewing it, am I wrong? Whats the difference??
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
6981 posts
958 upvotes
Ottawa
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
vonblock wrote:

Seeing the ad is a view. If you click on it, it'll bring you to their website, which counts as a click (and a view).

Realistically most sites pay very little per click unless you click on the ad and then buy something on the site the ad leads you to.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4564 posts
2504 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
vonblock wrote:

No,

In ads industry, viewing mean the number of time someone see the link to the ad. So if you already saw the ad on your browser, you're categorised as seeing the ad.
Clicking mean, click on the banner and open a new windows to actually go to the ad.
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Ok maybe because I have had adblock for god knows how long and I have not seen those rectangle ads in such a long time.. Its such a nice feeling being without ads for so long I forget how they appear on the screen lol
blahhh

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)