• Aug 19th, 2019 1:49 am
Tags:
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jul 21, 2019
345 posts
652 upvotes

Anyone else collect Funko Pops?

Wondering if anyone else collects, I've become quite addicted lol, spent over $1000 so far, and have 100+. I see it as kind of an investment though as well if I want to re-sell, because the vaulted ones sky rocket in price after a few years. I have one that has been vaulted for a bit and I paid $20 for it, and was offered $150 to sell.
Also if there is anyone that does, how much do you normally pay (including taxes/shipping). I try to look for the best deals and usually pay about $10 for regular sized, $15-20 for the 6" ones, and about $30 for the rides.
Which stores do you get from too? I've looked as Amazon, EB Games, Duclos Toys, Toys on Fire, Northmen Collectibles, Toys R Us, among some smaller companies, is there any better places to get from?
21 replies
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jul 21, 2019
345 posts
652 upvotes
Funko Pops are way cooler though, they are pop culture things that a hugely popular such as Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter etc. Those big name brands are never going to go out of style, which is why I think Funko has a way better shot at growing and maintaining a huge market share. I have almost all Lord of the Rings ones and some of them are by far the coolest figures out of any brand name. Beanie Baby's were just random animals and quite ugly IMO, and it's not like they are done, they are still being sold and you should still be able to sell for at least retail price.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9481 posts
2015 upvotes
Somewhere
Brandon26 wrote: Funko Pops are way cooler though, they are pop culture things that a hugely popular such as Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter etc. Those big name brands are never going to go out of style, which is why I think Funko has a way better shot at growing and maintaining a huge market share. I have almost all Lord of the Rings ones and some of them are by far the coolest figures out of any brand name. Beanie Baby's were just random animals and quite ugly IMO, and it's not like they are done, they are still being sold and you should still be able to sell for at least retail price.
I understand and respect the difference between the two.

I posted those links because I see similarities in how people treat them as collectible investments.
:confused:
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19228 posts
3360 upvotes
Toronto
Every day I look at this company's stock price and every day I'm mystified as to why it performs as well as it does. If I'd known how popular these things were I'd have bought in when the price dipped in December.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jul 21, 2019
345 posts
652 upvotes
Piro21 wrote: Every day I look at this company's stock price and every day I'm mystified as to why it performs as well as it does. If I'd known how popular these things were I'd have bought in when the price dipped in December.
They are so popular, and I think they will continue to be very popular because they literally have something that appeals to everyone. Whether it's your favorite TV show, movie, video game, musician etc. they have it or will eventually get it. They are very detailed figures and for the price it can't be beat. Some of them are very funny and cute, one of my personal favorites that I have is the stay puft toasty, if you don't like it you have no soul lol. Picture of it can be seen here: https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... &eim=0,1,6
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2006
2835 posts
108 upvotes
I hate funkos. I prefer Macfarlane or neca toys..
"Truth is High, Higher Still is Truthful Living" Guru Nanak
Sep 25, 2018
605 posts
1125 upvotes
Investment in such merchandise is worthless until you sell.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jul 21, 2019
345 posts
652 upvotes
bionicbadger wrote: they all look the same. I don't get the appeal.
What lol, look at these two links and tell me they look alike. They all look totally different. While I admit the people ones are not great and look a lot alike, there is hundreds that are very cool, mainly a lot of fictional characters, like the Balrog and Witch king on Fell Beast seen in those links.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... &eim=0,1,6
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13185 posts
2213 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Never heard of these.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Jan 16, 2009
185 posts
76 upvotes
Brandon26 wrote: What lol, look at these two links and tell me they look alike. They all look totally different. While I admit the people ones are not great and look a lot alike, there is hundreds that are very cool, mainly a lot of fictional characters, like the Balrog and Witch king on Fell Beast seen in those links.
Lol, when I saw Balrog, I was expecting the boxer from Street Fighter 2...

A previous co-worker of mine decorated his cubicle with a few funkopop figures. I like the concept where they have figures from all sorts of segments/markets. I've seen a few at Walmart. They remind me of Japanese chibi figures. I actually would prefer if they were slightly more realistic, but I'm guessing the current style would probably be more popular than more realistic ones.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jul 21, 2019
345 posts
652 upvotes
Maylay wrote: Lol, when I saw Balrog, I was expecting the boxer from Street Fighter 2...

A previous co-worker of mine decorated his cubicle with a few funkopop figures. I like the concept where they have figures from all sorts of segments/markets. I've seen a few at Walmart. They remind me of Japanese chibi figures. I actually would prefer if they were slightly more realistic, but I'm guessing the current style would probably be more popular than more realistic ones.
Lol they do have him too. I find that a lot are quite realistic in a sense, especially animated characters such as Spongebob, they look almost identical to how they are. The ones that resemble people are not realistic as much, however they are extremely detailed, an example is Frodo from the Lord of the Rings, he even has the ring on the necklace around his neck, and has the pin from the elves, and on his sword it even has the elvish writing, so they do go into great detail and realism, they just put a cuter look to them. IMO I think some of the figures that try and look realistic end up turning creepy and usually they are very expensive.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11946 posts
2139 upvotes
Mississauga
I wouldn't say I collect them, as I take mine out of their paper and plastic prisons and let them live free on my desks. I think I've got about 8 or so.
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12224 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
does anyone still collect amiibo? I remember that craze
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure

3000th post Dec 28 07 9:58pm
10,000 post Jan 17 2011 9:45pm