Cell Phones

Anyone else getting horrid service/signal from koodo?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2018 10:34 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 13, 2015
1952 posts
1830 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Anyone else getting horrid service/signal from koodo?

So you've all heard of that 10gb 60 dollar plan. Got that last month. I read koodo had excellent service and customer support. So i chose to go with koodo. Been with them almost 2+ weeks now. Got no service randomly 3 times since i got the plan. Everyday i'm having issues sending text messages, at least once a day my text would fail to send to a recipient. Signal at home is 1-2 bars. Lte is on but constantly switching to 3G and im in a major city :/.

My phone is iphone 6s, it is not the phone, was with telus before and virgin mobile. Never ever had any issues like this before in my life. Had great signal and no text issues.

Another thing, i called koodo a few times for help regarding other problems i had and the customer service people were nothing but rude, harsh tone and impatient.... complete opposite of telus and virgin and never had a issue with their customer support.

Anyone else experiencing these issues. I was furious today and decided to make this post after i sent a text to a friend for a meetup and waited 20 minutes to check my phone again and see that the message wasnot delivered... and yes i have reinserted the sim and restarted the phone many times.
😎Thanks RFD😎
20 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2005
12337 posts
11173 upvotes
Did you call tech support to send stuff to your iPhone 6s to initialize your phone?
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 13, 2015
1952 posts
1830 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
embguy wrote: Did you call tech support to send stuff to your iPhone 6s to initialize your phone?
We have to do that? I didn't do that with telus or virgin mobile
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2005
12337 posts
11173 upvotes
blackbirdman wrote: We have to do that? I didn't do that with telus or virgin mobile
I think Koodo sends stuff to your phone when you put in Koodo SIM the first time. If it does not work, then you need to get your phone initialize your phone again. This applies to all carriers. Don't call Koodo from your iPhone 6.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
4522 posts
2793 upvotes
Gotham
embguy wrote: Did you call tech support to send stuff to your iPhone 6s to initialize your phone?
That does not make any sense, otherwise people getting new phones would be complaining all the time and they would be flooded with calls.

@blackbirdman, maybe double check the APN settings on your phone are correct for Koodo. And maybe also the settings in your texting app.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 10, 2005
4682 posts
2033 upvotes
GTA
That's weird. Reception should be identical to what you were getting with Telus.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
21719 posts
2982 upvotes
Toronto
whereabouts are you located and where are you experiencing the dropped signals\no service?

I was on Virgin Mobile about a year ago (Tbay 6Gb plan), switched to Koodo and haven't had any issues with reception or service. Been using the same phone (BB Passport).

My wife has 2 phones - one Koodo and one Virgin Mobile - both have similar signal strength and no issues with service or reception on either phone (iphone 6s and iphone 7).

We travel in the GTA mainly - me mostly downtown Toronto, North York and Richmond Hill.

+2 with the previous poster - you should be getting exact same coverage\reception as with Telus.

Could it be your SIM card? Damaged perhaps?

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Member
Apr 14, 2006
410 posts
266 upvotes
Koodo is owned by Telus and used the same cell towers. Reception should be exactly the same. Either the phone or sim card could be defective or as others have said misconfigured.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 13, 2015
1952 posts
1830 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Apn settings are fine and texting settings are fine, no settings have been changed prior to my recent switch to koodo.
😎Thanks RFD😎
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 13, 2015
1952 posts
1830 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
ji2o0k wrote: whereabouts are you located and where are you experiencing the dropped signals\no service?

I was on Virgin Mobile about a year ago (Tbay 6Gb plan), switched to Koodo and haven't had any issues with reception or service. Been using the same phone (BB Passport).

My wife has 2 phones - one Koodo and one Virgin Mobile - both have similar signal strength and no issues with service or reception on either phone (iphone 6s and iphone 7).

We travel in the GTA mainly - me mostly downtown Toronto, North York and Richmond Hill.

+2 with the previous poster - you should be getting exact same coverage\reception as with Telus.

Could it be your SIM card? Damaged perhaps?
Im in scarborough, and when i lost signal and failed texts I was still in scarborough lol. SIM card is brand new just got it 20 days ago or so when I switched. I even looked at it, there are no scratches or nothing.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 8, 2009
14243 posts
12006 upvotes
Not Leask
Next step is try your Koodo sim in a different phone. If you can replicate the issue in a different phone, I'd recommend getting Koodo to replace your sim card, just in case the one you got a few weeks back is faulty.

Your coverage on Koodo should be nearly identical to that on Telus, Virgin or Bell.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 25, 2003
16052 posts
4555 upvotes
Markham
have you done carrier update on your phone?
When you go to General > About
under Carrier what is there now?

my is Koodo 31.0
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 13, 2015
1952 posts
1830 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Keigotw wrote: have you done carrier update on your phone?
When you go to General > About
under Carrier what is there now?

my is Koodo 31.0
Mine says koodo 31.0 also
😎Thanks RFD😎
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 13, 2015
1952 posts
1830 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
titaniumtux wrote: Next step is try your Koodo sim in a different phone. If you can replicate the issue in a different phone, I'd recommend getting Koodo to replace your sim card, just in case the one you got a few weeks back is faulty.

Your coverage on Koodo should be nearly identical to that on Telus, Virgin or Bell.
I will try. Just need to get a hold of another phone.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1947 posts
824 upvotes
Antarctica
I bet its the sim card

I have had this issue and a sim card replacement fixed it.

Koodo reception is rock solid. They are telus after all.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1947 posts
824 upvotes
Antarctica
blackbirdman wrote: Im in scarborough, and when i lost signal and failed texts I was still in scarborough lol. SIM card is brand new just got it 20 days ago or so when I switched. I even looked at it, there are no scratches or nothing.
Brand new doesnt "guarantee" a non defective product.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 8, 2009
14243 posts
12006 upvotes
Not Leask
Crichtonfan wrote: Brand new doesnt "guarantee" a non defective product.
My point exactly. That's why it's best for OP to confirm that by testing the Koodo sim in another phone.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 13, 2015
1952 posts
1830 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
titaniumtux wrote: My point exactly. That's why it's best for OP to confirm that by testing the Koodo sim in another phone.
I can't really get a hold of a phone for to long, i only have 1 phone and my mom has 1 but i can't swap for to long only for a few hours. I'll try to get a new SIM but is there anyway I can get it for free? If the sim is defective it shouldn't be my fault right?
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1947 posts
824 upvotes
Antarctica
blackbirdman wrote: I can't really get a hold of a phone for to long, i only have 1 phone and my mom has 1 but i can't swap for to long only for a few hours. I'll try to get a new SIM but is there anyway I can get it for free? If the sim is defective it shouldn't be my fault right?
Ask koodo for a replacement sim because your current sim is defective. Tell them since its defective you arent paying for the new one.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19290 posts
5372 upvotes
Toronto
Do a network settings reset on your phone (with reboot) first before replacing the SIM card.

Top