Shopping Discussion

anyone else having bad experiences with amazon marketplace purchases ?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2012 3:03 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Sep 16, 2010
843 posts
77 upvotes
GTA

anyone else having bad experiences with amazon marketplace purchases ?

i'm getting ever more annoyed at the poor service i'm getting on there. this is like the 3rd time now that the seller has taken the amount paid for standard shipping WITH tracking and used the ultra basic shipping thus excluding tracking which i need and rightfully paid for.

i have all my packages sent to my US address, i cross over once i have at least 5 - 8 packages waiting for me and without the tracking i have to guess and hope that they have arrived or it's a wasted trip to just pick up one item.

and emailing the seller to express my dissatisfaction with their cheap methods and ripping me off obviously gets nowhere. but i do get a refund from amazon once i forward on my complaint to them, but still it doesn't help me out knowing when my packages arrive.

and no this is not just one seller, this is a few different ones. a couple tried to use the "well i'm not making much on the sale of the item alone so i have to find other means to make a profit" excuse.... like come on, it's freaking amazon not ebay so just raise the asking price a little and stop scamming on the shipping and screwing the customer from what they paid for.

i hate leaving bad feedback, but in this case i'm going to be leaving quite a few sellers such a thing for their shady ways.

has anyone else been experiencing this as well ? i've even cross referenced a few and found out they are also on ebay so that would explain the shadiness.
18 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14261 posts
1148 upvotes
You should change your subject to Amazon.com Market place sellers. I thought this was going to be related to buying from Amazon.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
3798 posts
387 upvotes
Pickering, ON
I love how you emphasize ".COM" when you should have been emphasizing "MARKETPLACE" :rolleyes:

Buyer beware when it comes to that
[OP]
Banned
Sep 16, 2010
843 posts
77 upvotes
GTA
oops, my apologies i didn't know there was a difference.... i thought amazon was just one whole thing and wasn't divided into 2 sections. i'm new to amazon (only been using it a few months)

i got an email from amazon today that informed me that i was being refunded my full payment plus shipping as one of the sellers was constantly screwing buyers and was also not refunding people that had legit problems with items they purchased. i did not ask for this and was happy with just getting the refund on my shipping.... so that was a surprise, but then again this seller was one of the few that i noticed was also on ebay and had a less than stellar track record.

and i was stating .COM so that it wouldn't be confused with the canadian version as i have never bought off the canadian site to know how that is.

updated the header to reflect the topic.... thanks for letting me know.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12451 posts
1946 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Just complain directly to Amazon about it. Hope you saved the packaging with the postage, as proof. There's no way the seller can talk their way out of it then :) .
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12802 posts
1153 upvotes
the stig wrote: and no this is not just one seller, this is a few different ones. a couple tried to use the "well i'm not making much on the sale of the item alone so i have to find other means to make a profit" excuse.... like come on, it's freaking amazon not ebay so just raise the asking price a little and stop scamming on the shipping and screwing the customer from what they paid for.
Amazon Marketplace is basically the same as a buy-it-now sale on ebay. there are minuscule differences but they are the same. many of the amazon marketplace sellers are on ebay and vice versa. amazon and ebay are storefronts for sellers to sell their goods and those kinds of shady pricing practices are a problem but you could say that they are normal and expected.
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19188 posts
1684 upvotes
rabbit wrote: Just complain directly to Amazon about it. Hope you saved the packaging with the postage, as proof. There's no way the seller can talk their way out of it then :) .

+1
the stig wrote: oops, my apologies i didn't know there was a difference.... i thought amazon was just one whole thing and wasn't divided into 2 sections. i'm new to amazon (only been using it a few months)

i got an email from amazon today that informed me that i was being refunded my full payment plus shipping as one of the sellers was constantly screwing buyers and was also not refunding people
... and that is why you should complain.

From everything I know you will have a much easier time getting Amazon to stand behind their Marketplace sellers than you will with eBay/Paypal getting a refund. It's another reason I rarely use eBay anymore (the main one being their sky-high fee gouging)
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12451 posts
1946 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
> Amazon Marketplace is basically the same as a buy-it-now sale on ebay. there are minuscule differences but they are the same.

main differences:
Amazon has customer service.
Amazon sets the shipping rates.
Amazon takes your payment.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1554 posts
77 upvotes
Ottawa
I bought a used book from a MarketPlace seller named DEALSCANADA in February. The same book was offered by other vendors
but this one said 'ships from Canada' so I figured 4-5 days at most. 3+ weeks later I get the book post-marked from UTAH.

I gave a negative feedback and they offered to refund me if I would remove it. I told them I had a book I paid for and I was
done doing business with them but I would not do business with them in the future....and the negative will stand

Caveat emptor
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1364 posts
80 upvotes
rabbit wrote: > Amazon Marketplace is basically the same as a buy-it-now sale on ebay. there are minuscule differences but they are the same.

main differences:

Other differences;

Some mainline vendors sell through Amazon payments. I recently purchased new auto parts from Autopartsway.com and used Amazon for checkout. I've also purchased tools and other products from other online vendors and processed the payment through Amazon, because they don't take paypal.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2028 upvotes
Nowhere
the stig wrote: i hate leaving bad feedback, but in this case i'm going to be leaving quite a few sellers such a thing for their shady ways.

has anyone else been experiencing this as well ? i've even cross referenced a few and found out they are also on ebay so that would explain the shadiness.

But this is the whole point of feedback. There is no use in feedback if users don't provide accurate accounts of the service, both good and bad. These sellers will continue to engage in shady practices as long as no one calls them on it. I doubt you are the only one who feels bad about leaving bad feedback.

Don't assume because someone sells on ebay as well, that they are shady. As you have discovered, the difference with buying through Amazon is that you can count on Amazon's excellent customer service.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1611 posts
351 upvotes
Vancouver
This is why I always try to purchase the products sold by Amazon.com because I dislike dealing with the private sellers who ship super slow ground.... However, I am a Prime member and lately from my experience the 2 day shipping sometimes has been 3 days for prime eligible products.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
3798 posts
387 upvotes
Pickering, ON
rabbit wrote: > Amazon Marketplace is basically the same as a buy-it-now sale on ebay. there are minuscule differences but they are the same.

main differences:

They do? I didn't think so. Shipping rates are usually found on the seller's storefront.

Like others, I try to buy directly from Amazon. If something goes out of stock, I'll wait until Amazon gets it back in stock. But a lot of items found on Amazon can only be bought from the marketplace sellers, and fortunately, I haven't ran into any issues.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12451 posts
1946 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Don't know with 100% certainty, but it seems that Amazon sets the shipping rates:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... 734&#rates
Otherwise, I can't see them setting up a chart like this.

I think Amazon wants consistency, such as with shipping rates and processing payment transactions, to avoid the flea market style of eBay. Consistency gives a perception of reliability, even if the products are from various venders.
Nov 23, 2011
10 posts
Cambridge
I sell books on Amazon.com and .ca. The shipping rates are set by Amazon not by me. Tough to sell when we have to compete with the very low USPS.