Shopping Discussion

anyone else having bad experiences with amazon marketplace purchases ?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2012 3:03 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Sep 16, 2010
843 posts
77 upvotes
GTA
ahh see this is what i'm talking about... amazon has the chart that outlines how much they would like charged for shipping on items. i like how it states the item and the shipping it should be charged, BUT the seller in some of my cases will not follow that chart and then ship it at the very cheapest they can go. like for instance (this is the one that i was refunded the full price + shipping) the seller shipped the dvd in a paper sleeve in a bubble wrap envelope with NO protection to keep the disc from being bent during shipping !! the total cost to the seller to ship it ? 55 cents !!!

they swindled me so bad that i never got the case, the insert and absolutely NO tracking.... i said that i hate to give bad feedback, but regardless i always give feedback be it good or bad as i don't want the next person to have the same thing happen. and that is also how i got a refund, but not from my feedback it was because someone else complained and they did an investigation into the sellers cheap methods.

lucky for me that the disc arrived ok... i still have it and that seller the last i looked is no longer on amazon.

what i don't get is that on ebay you state your opening bid price or buy it now price... so set it where you are comfortable getting a price you want. but a lot of these people either don't know you can do that or rush through their posting and skip that portion then whine to the buyer afterwards that it sold for so little and try to jack up the shipping costs. i had so many people come back on me after an auction ended and i had paid to ask for more money saying that the shipping was incorrect and it should have been more... this after i did the drop down menu for my location and the type of shipping i wanted (standard - expedited).

and now it's like those same people are on amazon and doing the same stunts.... OR they have the exact item posted on both ebay and amazon and will go with whomever paid more. so if you buy the item on amazon for say $5 and someone else buys it on ebay for $7 the seller will sell it to the ebay buyer and then you are screwed. and you can get an idea of this happening by watching the item on ebay.

if i bought the dvd on their amazon page and choose the 2 day shipping BUT it's also posted over on ebay with the auction to end 4 days away that seller will not ship the item until day 5 or 6 because they were waiting to see if it sold on ebay for more. this is totally unacceptable but you are at the mercy of the seller since how can it be policed to make the seller comply and send you what you paid for ?

and i found the same thing with the "prime" shipping. i tried the one month trial and was getting poor results... some would ship it 3 and 4 days out when i was supposed to have it in my hands on day 2. if it's such a hassle for a seller to comply with the rules then just stay off these sites !!!
Jun 8, 2008
506 posts
8 upvotes
Ugh I have really bad experiences with these marketplace sellers as well. I don't blame Amazon, because I think they have AMAZING service. Whenever something is wrong with my order I'd email them and they fix it right away. I try to stay away from the marketplace now if I need something right away like for school, but if I don't need it right away then I'm okay with it cuz the prices are cheaper and they do get here eventually.. lol.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19175 posts
1669 upvotes
the stig wrote: ahh see this is what i'm talking about... amazon has the chart that outlines how much they would like charged for shipping on items. i like how it states the item and the shipping it should be charged, BUT the seller in some of my cases will not follow that chart and then ship it at the very cheapest they can go.
Again - the seller has ZERO CONTROL over what to charge for shipping. Like others have mentioned, I also sell things on Amazon - you DO NOT get to charge for shipping at all. You set the price and AMAZON charges the shipping, they then automatically add that amount (plus some extra) to your purchase.

For example - say I sold a book for $9.99. Amazon charges you (the buyer) $5 for shipping. They might provide me (the seller) with $9.99 + $7 = $16.99. The actual shipping cost for me is likely $9, so in total for my $9.99 sale I am get a net amount of $8.99 after accounting for my loss on the shipping.

This is how Amazon does things. They always charge the buyer LESS than the actual cost of the shipping and pay the seller a bit MORE than what the buyer paid, but it is still LESS than the full cost. As a seller, you have to be prepared for this, and account for it in your pricing, because you have ZERO control over how much you get for shipping as a seller.

Personally, as a seller I LOVE the Amazon system, as there is no arguing with the buyer over unfair shipping and other nonsense. Also, you can just throw stuff up on Amazon and forget about it, because unlike eBay the listings do not expire. I have had some old textbooks on there for 2 years now, and every couple of months we sell another one... this is how I like it. I get to "forget" about my selling and just gradually get rid of junk around the house.
Like for instance (this is the one that i was refunded the full price + shipping) the seller shipped the dvd in a paper sleeve in a bubble wrap envelope with NO protection to keep the disc from being bent during shipping !! the total cost to the seller to ship it ? 55 cents !!!
That is the pretty standard way to ship a DVD or Disc... 99.9% of the time nothing would go wrong with it. If something did go wrong, well that is what insurance is for. Anything shipped is insured for at a minimum of $100, I doubt your DVD was more than that. Just tell the seller the disc is broken, and to issue a refund and file an insurance claim. "Stuff happens". How often do you buy things online?

So far to me this alone does not sound like a bad seller. IF you told the seller the disc was damaged AND THEN they did not offer a refund OR an insurance claim, then you have an issue you should complain to Amazon about.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12320 posts
1850 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Sure, the seller is almost guaranteed to go with the cheapest option to send the package. If you pay for some premium shipping, they go with the cheapest method that meets the requirements, and if they don't, then you complain to Amazon that you didn't get the shipping service that you paid for.

If they want to nickel and dime, and not provide adequate packaging, they lose business, just like any other retailer that skimps. Leave appropriate feedback to inform other potential customers. And if the product is damage, complain to Amazon, with photographic proof, and the seller will take the hit.

If you think you are cheated because you overpaid for shipping, tough luck. You know the rate before buying. Just think of it as shipping AND handling.