Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1648 upvotes

Anyone else here like Swiss Chalet?

I LOVE Swiss Chalet. The open kitchen concept, makes it look so clean and you can see what people are doing to the food etc... (from the takeout counter). Also most of the times they are nice, and you can order a lot of "extra" stuff for free! Like sauce, bread, but obviously if you order the bread and waste it, u'll look like a pig. Anyways, i just think Swiss chalet is the best, since the sauce tastes so good with the nice not-a-lot of grease fries, and baked chicken. Mmmmmmmm...........so hungry now....Their ribs are also good! Falls right off the bone.
81 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2003
2357 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
While I like Swiss Chalet, I LOVE St. Hubert. The chicken is usually larger and I really really like the all you can eat coleslaw.

However, while the food is important, the service also makes a huge difference. My wife and I frequent a St. Huberts in Toronto and have become frendly with the staff. Getting to know folks sure makes a huge difference.

--Pete
Remember: We elect the government we deserve.
Jul 1, 2003
834 posts
87 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
It's definitely hit or miss for me. Some Swiss Chalet's can be the best meal ever, awesome chicken, perfectly cooked fries...and...the sauce!! I've had a few meals though that were just disgusting. I got their rib and chicken combo a few months ago. The ribs were cold and charred, the chicken was tough and the fries were shrivelled and also cold. My girlfriends meal was about the same. It's really dissapointing 'cuz you go in expecting what you've experienced before so it's a big let down! I'll still eat at Swiss Chalet but I'm slowly finding which ones are better than others. :)
-Some people hear their own voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy or they become Legend.-
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18193 posts
137 upvotes
GTA
Yeah, St. Hubert lover here! I wonder, why did they ever close down most of the stores in Toronto? Was it because of the Swiss Chalet franchise?
Nov 7, 2003
252 posts
I prefer it over Jack Astor, the chicken is great most of the time, although I remember there was a time where it tasted really dry, like it was boiled in pot of water. I recall that their ribs is good too. I think their lemon pie is very nice, but I've heard some ppl saying that it taste nasty.

A weird thing is that old people likes swiss chalet alot, while the younger groups prefer Jack Astor, Keley's (sp?), the Keg...etc

In terms of price, $20 odd dollars for a meal is passable, but it wouldn't beat the "chinese style English food". Only chinese ppl would know what I'm talking about here.... :)
Trying is the first step towards failure
--Homer Simpson
Mar 28, 2004
120 posts
When you say "hit or miss" do you mean per location? or per serving?

Which location would you say generally has the best tasting chicken or service?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1648 upvotes
Un4GivN wrote:It's definitely hit or miss for me. Some Swiss Chalet's can be the best meal ever, awesome chicken, perfectly cooked fries...and...the sauce!! I've had a few meals though that were just disgusting. I got their rib and chicken combo a few months ago. The ribs were cold and charred, the chicken was tough and the fries were shrivelled and also cold. My girlfriends meal was about the same. It's really dissapointing 'cuz you go in expecting what you've experienced before so it's a big let down! I'll still eat at Swiss Chalet but I'm slowly finding which ones are better than others. :)

You could've complained and they would've given you a gift certificate :)

I found that the Swiss Chalet on Sheppard/Brimley? is good, and the one at Bayview/Cummer. I can handle probaly about 3 sauce per half chicken haha, its just so good...my chicken is like soaked in it. Mmm...
Dec 9, 2003
999 posts
yeah some are amazing and some suck

the one in ancaster (power center) is pretty good
Deal Guru
Sep 14, 2003
10366 posts
211 upvotes
Mississauga
Here's a tip for people who love the sauce (like me):

Next time you're there, buy a few extra big dipping sauces. When you need a quick and simple fill-me-up, put two slices of Wonder bread on a plate, soak them in gravy, and put it in the microwave for a minute or two. AWESOME.

Sounds pretty ghetto, but it tastes really good :)
Deal Fanatic
May 28, 2002
8292 posts
98 upvotes
Kitchener
I like Swiss Chalet, but I'm not crazy about it.

To me it's just another fast food place in the guise of a restaurant.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14392 posts
132 upvotes
Mississauga
Un4GivN wrote: I got their rib and chicken combo a few months ago. The ribs were cold and charred,

Hate to tell you but all ribs cool off very quickly. To the point where they are almost cold. THe charred look is when they sauce them up and then cook ona flame. it camelizes the sauce and burns off the sugar. Its not a bad thing.

My friends and I do our own little rib fest every summer. We're 15ft from the grill and ribs are down air temperature or lower by the time they hit the plate
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14392 posts
132 upvotes
Mississauga
danfromwaterloo wrote:Here's a tip for people who love the sauce (like me):

Next time you're there, buy a few extra big dipping sauces. When you need a quick and simple fill-me-up, put two slices of Wonder bread on a plate, soak them in gravy, and put it in the microwave for a minute or two. AWESOME.

Sounds pretty ghetto, but it tastes really good :)
whats next? mayonaisse sandwiches?
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."