• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2004 5:17 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2002
1502 posts
60 upvotes
SC is definitely hit and miss. Ive had some really great food there and other times it has been disgusting.

The last time was last year. I went to the location on Bloor just west of Yonge.
The food was terrible. My g/f had never been to SC before and refuses to ever go back because it was so bad. It didnt help matters that she is a chef and was totally disgusted by the little fatty pigeon they served us.

Its funny how much it can vary from being excellent to terrible.
Dec 24, 2003
520 posts
1 upvote
Final Lazy wrote:In terms of price, $20 odd dollars for a meal is passable, but it wouldn't beat the "chinese style English food". Only chinese ppl would know what I'm talking about here.... :)
Ummm, what are you talking about?
Apr 6, 2003
817 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga
Another vote for St. Huberts here...

The chicken is waaaaaaaaaaaayy better than Swiss Chalets.

I mean, even the skin is actually crisp and cooked in contrast to Chalet's blubbery skin chicken that once you unwrap the chicken from its blubbery skin, you are left with a tiny piece of meat.

Oh and unlimited coleslaw rules.
Mar 10, 2003
211 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
i never like the chalet sauce, but my friends love that cause they need so much of it :/
Mok
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5799 posts
231 upvotes
Vancouver
Worked at Swiss Chalet for 8 years throughout school. I prefer St Huberts myself.

And the people who think the actual chicken is better at St Huberts, they use the exact same stoves and cooking methods. One Swiss Chalet Store I worked at was a convert from a St Huberts...use the same equipment.

Anyone remember when Swiss Chalet chicken was cooked with charcoal instead of gas? ummmmmm so much better.

Keep in mind thst Swiss Cahlet is probbaly one of the cheapest family restaurants around.

Fact: A 1/4 white mkeat no skin has less fat then a packet of butter.

St Huberts, there's one at Avenue road and Lawrence.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2004
1440 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
Man I love Swiss Chalet.
I swear they make the most tender chicken which just falls off the bone.

Whenever me and my wifey eat there this is what we order:

Starter:
>> Garlic Loaf w/cheese and 1 pound of wings (medium)

Main:
>> Quarter chicken (white) w/fries and extra chalet sauce (for me)
>> Grilled chicken Caesar w/dressing on the side (for her)

Man just thinking about this is making me hungry.... too bad it's only 8.00am!
Proud member of RFD for over 12 YEARS!
Heatware (64-0-0)
Layin' the smackdown on RFD
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2003
2357 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
Narci wrote:Worked at Swiss Chalet for 8 years throughout school. I prefer St Huberts myself.

And the people who think the actual chicken is better at St Huberts, they use the exact same stoves and cooking methods. One Swiss Chalet Store I worked at was a convert from a St Huberts...use the same equipment.
I'm another fan of St. Hubert's.

The equipment may be the same, but the birds are different. I find St. Hubert's chicken to be larger. I guess it all comes down to the supplier.

Narci wrote:Anyone remember when Swiss Chalet chicken was cooked with charcoal instead of gas? ummmmmm so much better.
I knew there was something different over the years but couldn't put my finger on it. That makes sense.
Narci wrote:St Huberts, there's one at Avenue road and Lawrence.
Alas, that location will be closing at the end of February so enjoy it while you still can. (I know I will be -- I'm going to miss it when it's gone)

--Pete
Remember: We elect the government we deserve.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
2197 posts
Narci wrote:Worked at Swiss Chalet for 8 years throughout school. I prefer St Huberts myself.

Anyone remember when Swiss Chalet chicken was cooked with charcoal instead of gas? ummmmmm so much better.

Keep in mind thst Swiss Cahlet is probbaly one of the cheapest family restaurants around.

Fact: A 1/4 white mkeat no skin has less fat then a packet of butter.

St Huberts, there's one at Avenue road and Lawrence.

Do you know if Swiss Chalet covers their uncooked chicken with their Swiss Chalet dipping sauce prior to cooking, or is that just a myth?

Also, what color is the sauce they dip the chicken in prior to roasting it, and is that marinade premixed and thus a secret from even store employees?
Banned
Jan 21, 2004
2600 posts
4 upvotes
GTA
I hate Swiss Chalet. Period.
Their whole chicken stinks, greasy and the meat is like watery. I don't know what people find in that 'sauce'?
I even tried their chicken wings to give them a last try last week and I was going to throw up. Yuck.
I tried different franchises before coming this conclusion.
Fineprint: Any brand that have [rfdlink=#]double underline link[/rfdlink] on my posts are not endorsed by me (unless stated otherwise) and automatically placed by the forum software for the site owners' commercial interests.
Nov 24, 2004
976 posts
87 upvotes
silentio wrote:Do you know if Swiss Chalet covers their uncooked chicken with their Swiss Chalet dipping sauce prior to cooking, or is that just a myth?

Also, what color is the sauce they dip the chicken in prior to roasting it, and is that marinade premixed and thus a secret from even store employees?

I can tell you the secret to Swiss Chalet chicken. Its really very simple...they don't do anything to it.

Swiss Chalet buys the best chicken from the Maple Leaf "Prime" plant. The same stuff they advertise on TV, and charge a huge premium for in the grocery stores. It is air cooled, not water cooled, and that makes a big difference in quality. Swiss Chalet needs whole complete chickens, KFC can use the ones missing wings or thigs because they're cutting it into pieces anyways. The ones that go to Swiss Chalet have to be of a premium quality due to the way they serve their chicken, cut into 1/4's.

At the restaurant....they take out what fat they can from the chicken. It goes in a pot and is boiled down until all the water is removed and they have prue chicken fat. The fat is then used as a baste on the outside of the chicken. Generally applied lightly with a basting brush. Prior to being put in the, oven a 1/2 spoon of salt is placed in the chicken. It is then cooked until it reaches the appropriate temperature. Removed from the oven, and served as required.

Thats the whole secret. No added spices, no weird methods of cooking. Just basted in chicken fat (which runs off during cooking anyways) and with a bit of salt it gets its Swiss Chalet flavour.

CM
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
2197 posts
CanadianMoFo wrote:I can tell you the secret to Swiss Chalet chicken. Its really very simple...they don't do anything to it.

Swiss Chalet buys the best chicken from the Maple Leaf "Prime" plant. The same stuff they advertise on TV, and charge a huge premium for in the grocery stores. It is air cooled, not water cooled, and that makes a big difference in quality. Swiss Chalet needs whole complete chickens, KFC can use the ones missing wings or thigs because they're cutting it into pieces anyways. The ones that go to Swiss Chalet have to be of a premium quality due to the way they serve their chicken, cut into 1/4's.

At the restaurant....they take out what fat they can from the chicken. It goes in a pot and is boiled down until all the water is removed and they have prue chicken fat. The fat is then used as a baste on the outside of the chicken. Generally applied lightly with a basting brush. Prior to being put in the, oven a 1/2 spoon of salt is placed in the chicken. It is then cooked until it reaches the appropriate temperature. Removed from the oven, and served as required.

Thats the whole secret. No added spices, no weird methods of cooking. Just basted in chicken fat (which runs off during cooking anyways) and with a bit of salt it gets its Swiss Chalet flavour.

CM
That sounds gross. Are you sure you worked at SC before LOL
Nov 24, 2004
976 posts
87 upvotes
silentio wrote:That sounds gross. Are you sure you worked at SC before LOL

Yup. I've cooked an estimated 80,000 Swiss Chalet chickens.

Have you never seen someone baste a Turkey with the drippings from the roasting pan? Its the same principal. It helps crisp up the skin and add a little flavour.

CM
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6566 posts
165 upvotes
Vancouver
That's what I really like about SC is the fresh tasting chicken. I dont taste any "crap" and the chicken is never greasy. I dont really like the sauce either but I use it to dip my roll into.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
2197 posts
CanadianMoFo wrote:Yup. I've cooked an estimated 80,000 Swiss Chalet chickens.

Have you never seen someone baste a Turkey with the drippings from the roasting pan? Its the same principal. It helps crisp up the skin and add a little flavour.

CM
Im not much of a cook ;)

Do you know if the SC sauce they make at the restaurants are premixed as a powder, or can you share us the recipe :cheesygri
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
silentio wrote:Im not much of a cook ;)

Do you know if the SC sauce they make at the restaurants are premixed as a powder, or can you share us the recipe :cheesygri
its a powder that comes in a pouch and you add water.