• Dec 21st, 2004 5:17 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5810 posts
235 upvotes
Vancouver
First...the tails are ripped off the chicken and baked so that the oils come out. The chickens are basted with this oil from the tails and a spoonful of salt is put into the cavity of the chicken. Then it is cooked. That's it.

The sauce, it's powdered yes, but the herbs are manually added meaning it's not a pour water and server sauce. The sauce has to be strained for the herbs before serving.

Ribs are stacked in a pan with some water, covered and allowed to broil. Once broiled it can be put on the grill for grilling. This is how not to get ribs so dry and how the meat falls off the bones.

Pot pie is powered cept the veggies and meat.

Brown Gravy is powdered.

Potatoes for fries are machine tumbled to get the skin off and each potatoe is manually put through a press by hand. i.e. use a knife to stick a potatoe than in a press, use hand to yank press down to cut into fries. Fresh cut fries are blanched in hot oil to keep them from drying out and refried before serving.

Wings, I can't comment on what they do now but when i was there they were also blanched and refried before serving.

All salads are manually cut, meaning lettuce, tomatoe carrots, celery etc is done with a cutting machine, knife by hand.

Rolls coem prebaked and frozen SC just puts them on a tray and reheats them.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
2197 posts
heh that's a major insight into SC thanks for that people.

Did they change the recipe at SC at all in last several years? I remember about a decade ago there was sticky spots on the chicken which tasted great, almost like they added some form of marinade to it.

I know they used the charcoal method back then, but I will assume the sticky brown spots werent from the charcoal
Sep 6, 2003
899 posts
2 upvotes
I can't stand their delivery. I've rec'd the wrong orders or the lid was partly off and the food was cold and their customer service was horrendous at that time a couple of years ago. They put me on hold and were rude and uncooperative. Never had delivery again. I used to get takeout at St. Clair and Keele location until they got chintzy on the size of the chicken. I could barely see the quarter breast that I had to pay extra for. One time, we got a half chicken dinner and only got 2 legs instead of a real half. They have cheaped out on their food in the past few months. Ripoff.
Nov 24, 2004
976 posts
87 upvotes
Gilboman is right. It is a "just add water" mix. The sauce packages are also available in supermarkets now. They're usually about a dollar each. Similar in taste, yet not exactly the same.

The Swiss Chalet sauce at the restaurant is simmered for a long period of time. There are whole bay leaves, and other spices in it that must be filtered out before its able to be served. Nobody wants a big ol leaf in their sauce. lol

CM
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6566 posts
165 upvotes
Vancouver
Narci wrote: Potatoes for fries are machine tumbled to get the skin off and each potatoe is manually put through a press by hand. i.e. use a knife to stick a potatoe than in a press, use hand to yank press down to cut into fries. Fresh cut fries are blanched in hot oil to keep them from drying out and refried before serving.

Rolls coem prebaked and frozen SC just puts them on a tray and reheats them.
Any idea what kind of oil they use? Hydrogentated or not? Yeah, the rolls arent that tasty. Too bad, I wish they had soft rolls. But, with the butter and the sauce they are pallatable.
Nov 24, 2004
976 posts
87 upvotes
Pavel wrote:Any idea what kind of oil they use? Hydrogentated or not? Yeah, the rolls arent that tasty. Too bad, I wish they had soft rolls. But, with the butter and the sauce they are pallatable.
They should be using a new oil starting this week (or a couple weeks as each location depletes their inventory of oil and switches over). It a sunflower oil with no transfat. Cara (Swiss Chalet parent company) is switching all their restaurants over to a non-transfat oil now. There should be a press release available on their website.

CM
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6566 posts
165 upvotes
Vancouver
Good stuff...CanadianMoFo, you didnt say where you are, so I thought I would take a shot in the dark. A long long time ago, there was a Swiss Chalet in Richmond BC where the restaurant was in the awesome large tudor style building. It even had a nice and cozy gas fireplace. Then one day, after many years, SC vanished. It surfaced several years ago (correct me if I am wrong) in different parts of the Vancouver area, including 'burbs, but never in Richmond and never in that tudor building. So, I am wondering what happened. I can assume that SC changes hands and Cara eventually bought it.
Nov 24, 2004
976 posts
87 upvotes
Pavel wrote:Good stuff...CanadianMoFo, you didnt say where you are, so I thought I would take a shot in the dark. A long long time ago, there was a Swiss Chalet in Richmond BC where the restaurant was in the awesome large tudor style building. It even had a nice and cozy gas fireplace. Then one day, after many years, SC vanished. It surfaced several years ago (correct me if I am wrong) in different parts of the Vancouver area, including 'burbs, but never in Richmond and never in that tudor building. So, I am wondering what happened. I can assume that SC changes hands and Cara eventually bought it.

You're right I didn't say where I am. The first rule about Swiss Chalet is you don't talk about Swiss Chalet...no wait thats a different club. I get confused.... ;)

As a rule Cara Operations Ltd. owns nearly all the Swiss Chalet locations. Its only been in the past 6 years or so that they have really started to franchise their restaurants. Cara has always been the parent company of Swiss Chalet.

Individual restaurants may be closed for many reasons. Changes in traffic patterns may negatively effect their sales. Or the cost of renovating the restaurant may outweigh the cost of building an entirely new building.

I would suggest that the location you're talking about (though I have no idea where it is) may have been an older restaurant. They closed it due to its age. And then offered multiple franchise opportunities in your local area.

CM.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6566 posts
165 upvotes
Vancouver
Ok, must be an eastern joke ;)

No, there was no apparent reason why that location was closed. In fact, I believe all the locations had closed down until recently they opened up a little while ago.

That building was brand new and built just for Swiss Chalet. It was weird to drive by that old place and not see Swiss Chalet there. Kind of like Black Angus Restaurants. I don't know if there is anyone here that is old enough that remembers them.
Nov 24, 2004
976 posts
87 upvotes
Pavel wrote: That building was brand new and built just for Swiss Chalet.
Hmm that is strange. Then I have no idea why it would be closed.

CM.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5810 posts
235 upvotes
Vancouver
when i was working there, LARD was used for blanching and oil was used for cooking/refrying. could have changed..it's been about 6 years now since i worked there.

best time to go for fresh chicken is an hour before lunch/dinner rush.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1372 posts
39 upvotes
I dont think St. Huberts and SC can compare to Kenny Rogers Chicken.
Best place till they all shut down :(
.... Its the wood that makes it good :razz:
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
2197 posts
Kenny boy priced themselves way out of the market when they existed in toronto. I still liked St. Huberts or SC over Kenny's any day

I hear they're doing very well in asia :cheesygri
Apr 10, 2004
11 posts
I ordered online from Swiss Chalet (Waterloo) a couple of days ago.

The webpage estimated 55 minutes. The delivery came in 15. I was quite pleased ;)

Overall, my experiences with Swiss Chalet in the past have been pretty good. There was just one time where the delivery order was rather dry and hard to consume.

I usually get the double leg dinner, BTW.