Shopping Discussion

Anyone else struggle with determining what's a good deal for toilet paper?

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2019 7:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4150 posts
2940 upvotes

Anyone else struggle with determining what's a good deal for toilet paper?

With other products it's so much easier but with toilet paper, with it being marketed so inconsistently (e.g. 30 rolls = 60), 2/3 plying, size of each square, etc.), it's hard for me to ascertain what's a better deal. No Frill has 30=60 Royale on sale for $8.97. Costco has Cascade for 40 rolls for $16 ($4 off). Initially I thought the Royale was a better deal but when I saw the package, it seems like almost half the size of the Cascade. I have no idea what's a "good deal" on toilet paper. Just wondering how others determine this. What brand and price point would you say is a good deal?
34 replies
Dec 24, 2011
735 posts
337 upvotes
Kirkland toilet paper, unless Cosco has a sale on another brand. Not the worth the energy to try and save a dollar or two every month or two just to get the best deal on toilet paper.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4150 posts
2940 upvotes
Typically I have gone with Kirkland but I'm actually finding many of Costco's prices aren't cheaper. It seems like every time I go, at least one, if not more of the items goes on sale . Was just curious what others experience.
Nov 2, 2003
447 posts
23 upvotes
hierophant wrote: With other products it's so much easier but with toilet paper, with it being marketed so inconsistently (e.g. 30 rolls = 60), 2/3 plying, size of each square, etc.), it's hard for me to ascertain what's a better deal. No Frill has 30=60 Royale on sale for $8.97. Costco has Cascade for 40 rolls for $16 ($4 off). Initially I thought the Royale was a better deal but when I saw the package, it seems like almost half the size of the Cascade. I have no idea what's a "good deal" on toilet paper. Just wondering how others determine this. What brand and price point would you say is a good deal?
This could be helpful. At least I found it helpful :)

https://www.redflagdeals.com/toiletpaper/comparison

Cor
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18649 posts
6706 upvotes
Toronto
I just look at price per roll. So if Royale is 60 single so it's under $0.15 a roll which is good. Cashmere Premium at Costco which is 110 rolls is generally $20 on sale so higher per roll.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4150 posts
2940 upvotes
carmaster wrote: I just look at price per roll. So if Royale is 60 single so it's under $0.15 a roll which is good. Cashmere Premium at Costco which is 110 rolls is generally $20 on sale so higher per roll.
But the size and quality isn't the same per roll making it hard to make comparison. I just eneded up getting the Cascade one...was jsut wondering if there's an easier way to determine which one to get.
May 28, 2012
11145 posts
3278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Price isn't the only consideration for me...generic tp is a no-no in our house. I haven't tried Kirkland brand but I don't think it's that great a value, especially if there are sales, coupons and points offers elsewhere. Last time I bought Royale, it didn't seem as soft as usual so I no longer buy it. Charmin clogs the toilet so that's out. Cottonelle isn't bad but it doesn't seem to separate from the perforations easily so you roll out a lot more than is necessary. I'm left with Purex and will get that on sale, preferably the 20=60 rolls so I'm not constantly changing it. Is it just my family who will leave a single square hanging from the roll?
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18649 posts
6706 upvotes
Toronto
hierophant wrote: But the size and quality isn't the same per roll making it hard to make comparison. I just eneded up getting the Cascade one...was jsut wondering if there's an easier way to determine which one to get.
I look at brand and ply as well. Never get 1 ply.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3502 posts
1764 upvotes
Waterloo
carmaster wrote: I look at brand and ply as well. Never get 1 ply.
This reminds me of the toilet paper at walmart. Not the toilet paper you buy there, but rather the toilet paper in their actual washrooms. The damn TP is practically invisible it's so thin!!!
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
2019 posts
614 upvotes
Toronto
Honestly.. TP is so cheap it's not really worth worrying about.
I know that's a total non RFD'r comment but there's better things to spend your time on (like how to make more money or to better invest what you have).

We just buy Charmin, which we like best when it's on sale.
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto
Oct 5, 2008
244 posts
78 upvotes
Buy a Toto travel washlet, no more TP. So much better! Portable civilization. Totally SFW video on how it works:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4150 posts
2940 upvotes
joo wrote: Honestly.. TP is so cheap it's not really worth worrying about.
I know that's a total non RFD'r comment but there's better things to spend your time on (like how to make more money or to better invest what you have).

We just buy Charmin, which we like best when it's on sale.
That's fine you don't want to spend time talking about it (even though you are) but why tell others how they should spend their time or they should be talking/thinking about? And who's worried? Can people not post questions without being judged even for the simpliest of things? And really, you're telling people to talk/worry about how to make more money? uh no, thanks, I don't need or want to do that....so judgemental.

At any rate, not sure people like you feel the need post messages like this - if it's beneath you then don't post and move on. Such a simple concept but yet so hard for some.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1476 posts
2069 upvotes
West
Always better just to make sure you just go to the bathroom at work everyday. In fact, for most, you pretty much get paid your normal hourly/salary to use your company's toilet paper. Can't beat that!
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1078 posts
473 upvotes
TORONTO
Mars2012 wrote: Price isn't the only consideration for me...generic tp is a no-no in our house. I haven't tried Kirkland brand but I don't think it's that great a value, especially if there are sales, coupons and points offers elsewhere. Last time I bought Royale, it didn't seem as soft as usual so I no longer buy it. Charmin clogs the toilet so that's out. Cottonelle isn't bad but it doesn't seem to separate from the perforations easily so you roll out a lot more than is necessary. I'm left with Purex and will get that on sale, preferably the 20=60 rolls so I'm not constantly changing it. Is it just my family who will leave a single square hanging from the roll?
You're knocking on Kirkland brand tp without even trying it. IMO, your assumptions are wrong... I find Kirkland brand tp to be quality tp that isn't too thick nor too thin. But the rolls are huge and if you have a smaller tp holder you'll run into problems.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
hierophant wrote: With other products it's so much easier but with toilet paper, with it being marketed so inconsistently (e.g. 30 rolls = 60), 2/3 plying, size of each square, etc.), it's hard for me to ascertain what's a better deal. No Frill has 30=60 Royale on sale for $8.97. Costco has Cascade for 40 rolls for $16 ($4 off). Initially I thought the Royale was a better deal but when I saw the package, it seems like almost half the size of the Cascade. I have no idea what's a "good deal" on toilet paper. Just wondering how others determine this. What brand and price point would you say is a good deal?
Its a shitty situation. I gave up trying to figure it out years ago.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1522 posts
624 upvotes
GTA
I aim for $1.20 per 1000 sheets as a good deal for 2 ply (usually Royale). Don’t go by rolls as each will have different number of sheets so you can’t compare.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9085 posts
2684 upvotes
London
Phonophoresis wrote: Always better just to make sure you just go to the bathroom at work everyday. In fact, for most, you pretty much get paid your normal hourly/salary to use your company's toilet paper. Can't beat that!
Boss make a dollar
I make a dime
That's why I poop
On company time
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15460 posts
12658 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Like others we use the RFD TP Mega thread
toilet-paper-calculation-thread-2078163/
And RFD TP Calculator to figure out what’s a good price
https://www.redflagdeals.com/toiletpaper/comparison

Not a fan of 1 ply
Am ok with 2 ply
And the SO ... well they prefer 3 ply

Royale, Cottonelle, Cashmere or Charmin are all fine
Lux, Ultra Or Quilted
It gets the job done

RFD Info has been invaluable in being able to calculate a good deal vs standard pricing cycles
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
Here I sit broken hearted
Paid my dime and only farted
Next day I took a chance
Saved my dime
And *hit my pants.