Shopping Discussion

Anyone Else Use ADT / Telus as Their Home Security System?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2020 4:49 pm
[OP]
Nov 12, 2012
573 posts
261 upvotes
Port Moody

Anyone Else Use ADT / Telus as Their Home Security System?

We've been ADT customers for 18 years, 12 in our current home. We've been happy with their service, but they keep increasing their monthly monitoring fee every year, and now we're paying almost double what we were paying all those years ago when we signed up, and yet the equipment is still original (which is a wired system with sensored windows and doors, 2 Co detectors, and 3 motion detectors.

Since ADT was acquired by Telus, they've started offering deals on camera-based, smart home type security, and I am wondering if we should be upgrading - or at least getting a discount on what we're paying now for our outdated equipment. Before I call, I'd like to get an idea what other people are paying. But, it's difficult to see what other customers are charged (since they will only give you an exact quote when you call to sign up), so I am wondering what others are paying per month?
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9512 posts
4720 upvotes
Markham
How much home insurance is lowered due to security systems?
Thanks
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35533 posts
21588 upvotes
Center of Universe
smartie wrote: How much home insurance is lowered due to security systems?
Thanks
About $10/month off with my insurer.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2692 posts
1706 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How much is ADT monthly?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3614 posts
2258 upvotes
Edmonton
pokee99 wrote: We've been ADT customers for 18 years, 12 in our current home. We've been happy with their service, but they keep increasing their monthly monitoring fee every year, and now we're paying almost double what we were paying all those years ago when we signed up, and yet the equipment is still original (which is a wired system with sensored windows and doors, 2 Co detectors, and 3 motion detectors.

Since ADT was acquired by Telus, they've started offering deals on camera-based, smart home type security, and I am wondering if we should be upgrading - or at least getting a discount on what we're paying now for our outdated equipment. Before I call, I'd like to get an idea what other people are paying. But, it's difficult to see what other customers are charged (since they will only give you an exact quote when you call to sign up), so I am wondering what others are paying per month?
You haven’t stated what you are paying.
[OP]
Nov 12, 2012
573 posts
261 upvotes
Port Moody
starchoice wrote: You haven’t stated what you are paying.
I was paying just over $20 a month when I signed up 18 years ago. That went up to $30 12 years ago, and now $46. Seems to be going up just over a dollar a month every year (around 5% increase annually).
[OP]
Nov 12, 2012
573 posts
261 upvotes
Port Moody
smartie wrote: How much home insurance is lowered due to security systems?
Thanks
I think in order to qualify for a discount with most insurers, the security system needs to be professionally monitored for fire.
Dec 16, 2004
773 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
I’m in the same boat as the OP. I’ve got a 16 year old ADT system but I’m only paying $26/month. I’ve been thinking about Ring as I already have the doorbell and 2 cams that I pay $100US/year for so I would get the monitoring for “free” basically.
Aug 19, 2012
911 posts
137 upvotes
why not switch to the monitoring center? I passed on upgrading to Telus "smart" home security after finding out they disable the alarm after you disconnect and you cant go with a third party like monitoring center
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9512 posts
4720 upvotes
Markham
Are those monitors outside house only or some cameras also are installed inside house?
Thanks
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35533 posts
21588 upvotes
Center of Universe
dishguy1977 wrote: I’m in the same boat as the OP. I’ve got a 16 year old ADT system but I’m only paying $26/month. I’ve been thinking about Ring as I already have the doorbell and 2 cams that I pay $100US/year for so I would get the monitoring for “free” basically.
You can use your existing wired system, but would have to buy both a Ring alarm starter kit and DSC panel extension.
Jul 25, 2013
160 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
I have the ring alarm system. I ended up not getting professional monitoring since alerts go to phone. I also have cameras. It’s a great set up and I don’t think it’s worth to pay professional monitoring
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35533 posts
21588 upvotes
Center of Universe
Infiniti2011 wrote: I have the ring alarm system. I ended up not getting professional monitoring since alerts go to phone. I also have cameras. It’s a great set up and I don’t think it’s worth to pay professional monitoring
With the $10/month discount on home insurance, the cost is peanuts for professional monitoring.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3614 posts
2258 upvotes
Edmonton
I have a long history with ADT since 1997. My system is similar to OP’s. Looked into upgrading but I only pay $80 every three months. Nobody can beat this price. ADT has been hitting me with sporadic small increases so it’s easy to overlook them.

I got fed up with ADT at a point and switched to Protectron then ADT bought Protectron and I was back with ADT through no choice of my own.

ADT has a primary commercial focus. I expect changes will come along with Telus taking over but so far all I have seen is a change in my billing envelope with “by Telus” after the ADT logo.

The same bungling idiots are running ADT. My monitored smoke detector recently expired so they came to install a replacement but couldn’t code it to my system for some reason so they had to replace the panel, essentially with the same one. This one doesn’t have an exit countdown feature although they claim if my previous one had it, this one should as well. Despite trying to program it, they can’t and have no explanation.

Prior to this, I had some issues so they sent me a couple of key fobs but they were unable to program the fobs to my system.

You get the idea. There were many other events over the years and they always seem to struggle, never knowing what’s going on.

To top it off, these lunatics are like robots. I had a smoke alarm activated and when calling in, the idiots demanded my password which makes sense for an intrusion alarm but not fire. I went to get it and then found out that they hung up on me while I’m trying to stop this fire alarm.

I’m hoping that they change their base operations and move it out of Montreal. You would think that since they are servicing the country, they would have fluently bilingual people but it seems that with call centres, speaking two languages does not mean that someone needs to be understood through their heavy accent.
Aug 23, 2014
354 posts
151 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
pokee99 wrote: We've been ADT customers for 18 years, 12 in our current home. We've been happy with their service, but they keep increasing their monthly monitoring fee every year, and now we're paying almost double what we were paying all those years ago when we signed up, and yet the equipment is still original (which is a wired system with sensored windows and doors, 2 Co detectors, and 3 motion detectors.

I have similar set-up as yours. I’ve been with them for 14 years and I was paying ~$40/mo. Called them a couple of months ago and told them The Monitoring Centre was offering $10/mo. After a bit of haggling I got them down to $18/mo.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35533 posts
21588 upvotes
Center of Universe
starchoice wrote: I have a long history with ADT since 1997. My system is similar to OP’s. Looked into upgrading but I only pay $80 every three months. Nobody can beat this price. ADT has been hitting me with sporadic small increases so it’s easy to overlook them.

I got fed up with ADT at a point and switched to Protectron then ADT bought Protectron and I was back with ADT through no choice of my own.

ADT has a primary commercial focus. I expect changes will come along with Telus taking over but so far all I have seen is a change in my billing envelope with “by Telus” after the ADT logo.

The same bungling idiots are running ADT. My monitored smoke detector recently expired so they came to install a replacement but couldn’t code it to my system for some reason so they had to replace the panel, essentially with the same one. This one doesn’t have an exit countdown feature although they claim if my previous one had it, this one should as well. Despite trying to program it, they can’t and have no explanation.

Prior to this, I had some issues so they sent me a couple of key fobs but they were unable to program the fobs to my system.

You get the idea. There were many other events over the years and they always seem to struggle, never knowing what’s going on.

To top it off, these lunatics are like robots. I had a smoke alarm activated and when calling in, the idiots demanded my password which makes sense for an intrusion alarm but not fire. I went to get it and then found out that they hung up on me while I’m trying to stop this fire alarm.

I’m hoping that they change their base operations and move it out of Montreal. You would think that since they are servicing the country, they would have fluently bilingual people but it seems that with call centres, speaking two languages does not mean that someone needs to be understood through their heavy accent.
That's $320/year
Ring is approximately $140/year after currency exchange.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3614 posts
2258 upvotes
Edmonton
vkizzle wrote: That's $320/year
Not exactly sure what that covers or who Ring is but pretty sure they are not a standard monitoring service. You need to compare apples to apples.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35533 posts
21588 upvotes
Center of Universe
starchoice wrote: Not exactly sure what that covers or who Ring is but pretty sure they are not a standard monitoring service. You need to compare apples to apples.
The exact same service as every other monitoring company...24/7 monitoring, with fire and police dispatching.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3614 posts
2258 upvotes
Edmonton
vkizzle wrote: That's $320/year
Why are you hassling me? Hassle the OP. I was just responding to OP’s post. OP was asking if anybody else has ADT. This has nothing to do with Ring.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35533 posts
21588 upvotes
Center of Universe
starchoice wrote: Why are you hassling me? Hassle the OP. I was just responding to OP’s post. OP was asking if anybody else has ADT. This has nothing to do with Ring.
Don't get your panties in a knot.
You came into a thread about home monitoring and I'm just letting you know that there are lower cost options for the same coverage.