Automotive

Anyone ever buy from CanadaDrives.ca or Clutch.ca?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2022 3:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 9, 2008
806 posts
21 upvotes
Etobicoke

Anyone ever buy from CanadaDrives.ca or Clutch.ca?

I recently got rid of our SUV and have been slowly perusing for replacements.

I've gotten a lot of ads for CanadaDrives.ca and Clutch.ca. Out of curiosity, has anyone here shopped from them? What is the experience like, compared to a regular dealerships? And which is better?

They have a good selection. The prices definitely aren't the cheapest, but they do seem transparent in the flaws in the cars and they offer extended warranty for I think 40,000km+, which kind of suggests that they're confident in what they're selling.

Any thoughts or experience with these two companies?
104 replies
Feb 13, 2021
525 posts
541 upvotes
I was interested in buying through Clutch but they never got back to me after I said it was ok to perform the full application process. They were able to get a pre-approval done quickly but dropped the ball on the full approval and aren't responding to my e-mails.

Seems like they want to pick and choose their customers?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15103 upvotes
Clutch.ca? Looking at their site they should just call it CUVs.ca or generic.ca--80-90% their inventory seems to be CUVs. I mean I get that this is what's selling these days but still, vehicles on here are super generic. I mean they don't even have a Corvette for sale; all their Porsches listed are Macans. Crazy.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1015 posts
269 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Clutch.ca? Looking at their site they should just call it CUVs.ca or generic.ca--80-90% their inventory seems to be CUVs. I mean I get that this is what's selling these days but still, vehicles on here are super generic. I mean they don't even have a Corvette for sale; all their Porsches listed are Macans. Crazy.
High turnover is their strategy so that's why they target common cars. It's car buying simplified as much as possible. No haggling, if you like it, you buy it and return after if you don't like it. The sales coordinator I talked to said they don't get commission. Not sure if that's true but they weren't pushy in any way.

With my one experience with them, they were great. I did a trade in with them. It was covid and didn't want to deal with people but Clutch offered me a better price than the 2 dealerships I visited. What didn't make sense to me is they listed my car for about 1.5k more but at the same time that made me feel better about the trade in value.

Upon delivery, the suv was super clean. I'm talking in between seats, every nook and cranny was clean. The floor of the trunk had some scuffs which I assume they couldn't get out but still better condition than the last 2 used cars I've bought. Car runs fine, no issues so far. It's been about 2 months.

Reminder for anyone trading in, you pay tax on difference between the sale price of your car and the purchase price and not on only the purchase price which is useful to know when budgeting. Could be ontario only, check first...

If you're on the fence about Clutch, give em a call and if anything feels off, you can always hang up/walk away. They won't keep you sitting for 4 hours as a tactic like dealerships try to...

Important edit: I want to add that you don't actually get to see the car physically before purchasing. They show you images with a 360 view and highlight any damage when you view the car online. Obviously a very risky concept as a buyer...thats where the no hassle return policy comes in to provide assurance.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6839 posts
2617 upvotes
BC
skwigglyline wrote: ...thats where the no hassle return policy comes in to provide assurance.
To be clear, some other used car dealers offer a limited time money back guarantee. But it does mean that you lose the tax that you paid.

So for a $10K car, say, that would be over a thousand bucks assuming you didn't do a trade-in.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15103 upvotes
macnut wrote: To be clear, some other used car dealers offer a limited time money back guarantee. But it does mean that you lose the tax that you paid.

So for a $10K car, say, that would be over a thousand bucks assuming you didn't do a trade-in.
Huh? Why would you lose the tax though? If I buy something at a store and return it, I get the tax back. If you return a car you should get the tax back as well. Is this yet another government scam/racket they have going? Sigh.
Nov 8, 2006
996 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
i tried to sell my SUV via clutch, called them and they promised on the price, but more conditions.
Didnt have a good experience, moved on to local stealership.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6839 posts
2617 upvotes
BC
ES_Revenge wrote: Huh? Why would you lose the tax though? If I buy something at a store and return it, I get the tax back. If you return a car you should get the tax back as well. Is this yet another government scam/racket they have going? Sigh.
Oh, I stand corrected.

I had assumed you could only get vehicle tax refunded if you move to another jurisdiction.

But at least in BC you can apply for it to be refunded if you return the vehicle to the seller within 30 days:
Ontario and other provinces probably the same. Although HST may complicate the process.
You have to provide 5 specific documents and have the seller's cooperation to validate your application.
At a guess it probably takes a few weeks for them to process the application and reimburse you.

A bit different from returning something at a store where the retailer has more involvement with the tax you paid, but at least the same principle applies.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1143 posts
978 upvotes
Interesting I suppose these online dealers are no-haggle which is good and bad.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1834 posts
417 upvotes
BC
Looks pretty good site. Also, most of the cars available 10 mins from my house in BC.
"Hate is a disease. It is a virus that spreads and kills."
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20745 posts
6218 upvotes
GTA
Obviously you pay more but a friend used one of these services, didn't step outside of their home. It was for a Honda Accord. They paid market price and everything was done within 72 hrs, from first contact to delivery.

It's an automotive tool for them, so for them, time is money. I personally would not use it but I can see why some may choose to.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
2350 posts
872 upvotes
Central Ontario
I'd consider it for no other reason than to just to avoid the scumbags that are often the subject of used car dealer threads on RFD.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
2951 posts
849 upvotes
Looks like I am reviving an old thread. I am just starting the process with Clutch - have put down a deposit and had my trade in appraised. I still have to wait a bit as the car was a pre-order as it had not yet been inspected/certified, but I am happy so far.

From what I saw of their prices they seem fair and I was happy with the trade-in offer. When HST was factored in the offer was at least what I would expect from selling privately, with no effort (didn't need to clean, post, or deal with arranging test drives). The pics are also impressive, not sure if it's just lighting or what, but I actually thought the first car I looked at may have been using stock OEM photos.

The one thing I have definitely enjoyed most of all has been not dealing with a sales person.

I will update again as my sale progresses.
Dec 1, 2014
264 posts
279 upvotes
Burlington, ON
@knapper - you mentioned being happy with trade-in offer. Are you buying another car from clutch or did I misunderstand?
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
2951 posts
849 upvotes
FilaGuy wrote: @knapper - you mentioned being happy with trade-in offer. Are you buying another car from clutch or did I misunderstand?
Yes, purchasing a vehicle and trading in my old one.
Feb 29, 2020
13 posts
15 upvotes
I am up for trade-in with Canada Drives and they are offering a better price then the dealerships I visited. But the apr on the website is 5.99% which I think is on higher side. Is it a flat rate for everyone or it varies based on the credit history?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
8059 posts
2034 upvotes
Ottawa
I had an awesome experience for my purchase at clutch.ca back in May. I need to post a review on them! I’d go with them again in the future.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
2951 posts
849 upvotes
knapper wrote: Looks like I am reviving an old thread. I am just starting the process with Clutch - have put down a deposit and had my trade in appraised. I still have to wait a bit as the car was a pre-order as it had not yet been inspected/certified, but I am happy so far.

From what I saw of their prices they seem fair and I was happy with the trade-in offer. When HST was factored in the offer was at least what I would expect from selling privately, with no effort (didn't need to clean, post, or deal with arranging test drives). The pics are also impressive, not sure if it's just lighting or what, but I actually thought the first car I looked at may have been using stock OEM photos.

The one thing I have definitely enjoyed most of all has been not dealing with a sales person.

I will update again as my sale progresses.

OK, time for an update, my deal fell through.

It was a 'pre-order' as their inspection was not yet complete. They got back to me last week and apologized and said they could not sell it, it was going to be 'wholesaled' as "there was too much work to get it to their standards" - their words.

I was given the option to select another vehicle. I asked if I got a discount for the inconvenience but that was a no go. I ended up getting a very similar vehicle (same model, trim, mileage, just no blackout) at another place and got my deposit back almost instantly.

Funny enough, the vehicle I pre-ordered is still up on Clutch (Audi A3) and I am 95% sure it went from 'sale pending' (me) to 'pre-order' and now is 'sale pending' again. To be honest, I am finding that a bit shady. Even if it didn't toggle, why is it still showing up?

I will say that their trade-in value Clutch gave me was a bit more than I ended up with on the new purchase. And I love the no haggle pricing.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
3840 posts
1119 upvotes
Scarborough
knapper wrote: OK, time for an update, my deal fell through.

It was a 'pre-order' as their inspection was not yet complete. They got back to me last week and apologized and said they could not sell it, it was going to be 'wholesaled' as "there was too much work to get it to their standards" - their words.

I was given the option to select another vehicle. I asked if I got a discount for the inconvenience but that was a no go. I ended up getting a very similar vehicle (same model, trim, mileage, just no blackout) at another place and got my deposit back almost instantly.

Funny enough, the vehicle I pre-ordered is still up on Clutch (Audi A3) and I am 95% sure it went from 'sale pending' (me) to 'pre-order' and now is 'sale pending' again. To be honest, I am finding that a bit shady. Even if it didn't toggle, why is it still showing up?

I will say that their trade-in value Clutch gave me was a bit more than I ended up with on the new purchase. And I love the no haggle pricing.
Similar story with clutch. I was looking to buy a CRV, their price was amazing. I pre-ordered it with $100 deposit. When the inspection report came out, mileage was 2k more than stated. They offered a $250 discount to proceed, but I declined. Got my deposit back almost instantly. I ended up getting a great deal elsewhere. I have to say, I loved the process of an online-only sale, no hassle/haggle, and free delivery.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
2234 posts
2485 upvotes
Toronto
knapper wrote:
OK, time for an update, my deal fell through.

flamez1000 wrote: Similar story with clutch. I was looking to buy a CRV, their price was amazing. I pre-ordered it with $100 deposit. When the inspection report came out, mileage was 2k more than stated. They offered a $250 discount to proceed, but I declined. Got my deposit back almost instantly. I ended up getting a great deal elsewhere. I have to say, I loved the process of an online-only sale, no hassle/haggle, and free delivery.
Believe it or not, you can very easily do this at any dealership the exact same way.

The person at Clutch you are communicating with is no different than dealing with a sales rep at a store. These days most will be more than happy to have you do everything over email, then verify your identity, etc on delivery.

It is still odd to me that you are happy with the no-haggle experience, but even at no-haggle dealerships people get upset if they don't get a discount (and usually stress themselves out trying). I've seen lots of people walk out of the store because they don't get a discount on a used car, even when communicated that the store is no-haggle as soon as they sit down.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!