Tags:
None
[OP]
May 27, 2004
101 posts
2 upvotes
Kingston

Anyone ever dealt with "Shopco Foods"?

Hi, Recently our family was contacted by Shopco Foods a company that sells name brand groceries at wharehouse prices delivered to you home. They are based in Scarborough ON. The deals sounded pretty darn good. Quality guaranteed, no up front payments free delivery etc etc .

Anyway I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this company in the past, or has any information on them. I haven't come up with much on google other then their webpage Shopco Foods

Any info good or bad would be appreciated before I make a decision.

Thanks.
Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7741 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
reviving a really old thread :razz:

Just got off the phone with a GF and they received their first order last week. About 4 three foot shelves stocked top to bottom with food and their freezer is full. They are paying $450 a month to ensure that they have food for the year.

Prior to committing, they paid about $900 a month for groceries for a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 dks 10,8 and 5). The order will only include dry good *name brand and meats. She says all AAA quality (I'd say most likely M&M Meats quality). She is not disappointed (yet) and is convinced that it is allowing her to now plan her meals better, actually eat meat they wouldn't normally and save a lot of money. One item she commented on was a can of Tims coffee for $3.99. You are still purchasing fruit, veggies, dairy, bakery items.

Has anyone else been approached? Are you pleased? Are there foods that end up in the donate bag? Is it proving cost effective? Any insight is appreciated.
See this button :confused: :confused: Learn how to use it PLEASE ;)
Dec 22, 2004
187 posts
2 upvotes
Re-reviving an old thread! Did any of you ever go with Shopco? Any experiences?
May 29, 2008
1 posts
Yes! My family used to be a Shopco client for several years until about 4 years ago. We stopped only because they stopped delivering in our area. We were forced to switch to another company and were not very happy with the new company.

Shopco, however, was great! I was cheaper for groceries and shopping for the fresh foods was ever so much faster. I loved the fact that you could customize what you wanted to order - getting more of the things we would use (pasta and ground beef) and not getting those things we wouldn't use (cookies and junk food). If you order carefully - choosing cheaper cuts of meat over the more expensive ones - you can get your 12 months worth of food to last 18 months (we did) making is a LOT cheaper to feed a family.

When they ordered stuff we did check that everything we ordered arrived - we weighed it all and stuff just to be sure. A couple of times there were small errors (didn't ship a box) or shipped the wrong thing and when we contacted them they apologized and fixed the problem immediately. If they shipped too much of something or shipped something we didn't order (happened once with pork chops), we got to keep the extras at no charge.

Once they were not able to ship our food to us when we asked (because they had stopped shipping to our area and had no trucks going that way). To make up for the inconvenience they sent us some extra meat in the order (nice rib eye steaks!).

Anyway, I would have continued to order from them if they had not stopped in this area.

Hope this helps.

Alex
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2004
1139 posts
17 upvotes
Woodbridge
Well, I jsut talked to Beatrix from ShopCo, and now have the enormous task of convincing my DH, but it does sound good, and I'm pleased to see the previous posts here recommending the service.

If anyone wants a referral, I'd be happy to send the consultant your way. (and I'll split the referral bonus) ;)
WTB :
1) Laptop - Ultra/Convertible
2) Camera - digital
Jul 15, 2008
1 posts
marty5898 wrote: Re-reviving an old thread! Did any of you ever go with Shopco? Any experiences?
Shopco is a company that gets what it wants - your money. This is a family run company with no Customer service skills. When you order groceries from them they send you what they feel you should have and not what you ordered.

After signing their contract they will tell you that you have 10 days after receiving the food to cancel. That is a LIE, you have 10 days to cancel from the day you sign the contract.

If you have to cancel and return the grocery make sure you check off the items 1 by 1 and have the drivers sign the order sheet acknowledging all the items you returned. This may seem time consuming but trust me you WILL NOT regret this.

Shopco will take your money any way they can get it.
Aug 5, 2008
2 posts
I usually dont do this but our family made a terrible mistake with signing up with Shopco and wish someone had cationed us ....

number one is no customer service and total apathy, ....

take note ..... you will be fined (small print) about 300.00 penalty if you cancel your contract.

Try and get your money back ... lots of luck

Honestly , choose Cosco or similar and you will save so much more money with no hassles ....

I could say more , but verbally they already let us know they have lawyers who track down people who post on the internet ... can you imagine warning a customer that they better not say anything bad or negative or a lawyer will visit .....

So every thing said here is true ( we made a mistake) (They do have a clause for penalties ) (You could do better elsewhere) ...

the rest of the experience we have verbally told to our friends and family and all are well aware of the poor service .... too bad I cant tell you more as you would just simply shake your head in disbelief ... but you know , lawyers

Bill
Nov 7, 2008
2 posts
My family has purchased an order from Shopco Foods and this is my experience.

I gave my deposit cheque, they cashed it two days later. She told me they would call a couple days after my cheque cleared and call to set up a day to deliver the food. (and that this call would happen two days before they delivered it)

More than a week goes by and I have not received a phone call, of course my cheque had been promptly cashed. I called them several times attempting to find out what was going on with my order and I either received no answer, or someone that informed me someone would call me back the next day (which would never happen).

Finally, I called them and was very upset and magically that same night got a phone call from the delivery guy saying he could come the next day.

I informed him I wasn't available until after 530 since I work during the day and attend college in the afternoon. He asked me if anyone else would be at my house and I told him only my 64 year old babysitter. He then asked me to ask my babysitter if she could unload the items because he wanted to put his truck in repair before 530. After arguing with him for a bit, he finally agreed to come AFTER 530pm.

At 430pm I get a phone call from home, my husband got home early and the Shopco truck had randomly showed up. Thankfully he was there or my 64 y/o babysitter (who has arithmatoid(not sure of spelling) arthritis) would be helping move boxes full of frozen meat!

I get home at 530pm and the truck had just left. After putting everything away we find that a couple of items are missing from our order. I call them and inform them of this and I again am told the person who deals that is not available, but he would have them call me on my cell. That was 8 days ago. I have tried calling several times in between and receiving no answer. I even tried calling their Sales Department and got their answering machine. (funny how customer service does not have an answering machine
Nov 8, 2008
1 posts
Bulk Buyers Beware!! No Frills has better meat and way cheaper!

We have had three orders from Shopco Foods, we were very happy with our first oder. We didn't want to have everything delivered at once so we have always had it split in two parts. Our second order was just as good, if not better, as we were getting the hang of 'bulk' ordering. We placed our third order back in May, had some concerns with the steaks and chops. Customer service sent out some replacements and still we were not happy. Not only the steaks, but a few roasts and the boneless chicken breast was tasteless and rubber like. I spoke with customer service once again and they said that they would replace everything that I wasn't happy with on my next delivery, 'it wasn't worth their while to send another truck out to us.' Not very happy with this, I want the meat that I am paying for now, not in 5 months. Phoned yet again they then said they would call when they had a truck in my area...still waiying since June. We are running very low on everything, I have been calling and calling 416-439-3787 and 1-800-268-4438 a hundred times a day to get my second part, if they answer they are no help at all. We want our second part that we have almost paid for in full, I can't get anyone to answer or if they do answer, they don't seem to know what is going on. They finally found my order after a week and they say that there is nothing in my file about my replacement meats and that they couldn't help with that now! This really put up some 'red flags' for us and we started checking all the products we still have, the dry goods are mostly out-dated and the seals are breaking on a lot of the meat products and collecting freezer burn.
I'm not sure what has happened to this company, but I know that they will never see another penny from us. Our lawyer told us to put stop payment on our cheques and to contact the BBB and we have. I still have 3 payments of $567.99 and no food!
Please, please beware before you buy with ShopCo Foods....the products are old and stale, just like their service.
Jacklyn Mountjoy
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
2858 posts
12 upvotes
whats wit hte consecutive postings of single post memberS??

Fishy....

and reviving such an old thread :confused:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6365 posts
211 upvotes
I seriously doubt it's fishy. My guess is these people did a google search of Shopco due to their dissatisfaction, and this thread came up so they signed up with RFD and posted. If this Shopco was once a good company and then it started to go downhill, it would make sense that you would get several people posting dissatisfaction.
Nov 7, 2008
2 posts
I googled Shopco Foods to see if I was the only only having issues with them . . and clearly . . am not.

Are you an employee of Shopco Foods or something? lol
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9609 posts
818 upvotes
Muskoka
Reviving again....just got a call from Shopco, and went straight to my trusty RFD to check them out.

Anyone else have any other experiences with them?
Jan 4, 2008
773 posts
187 upvotes
Gatineau
I used to work for them when I lived in Toronto until my paycheques started to bounce.

- I worked in a boiler room just north of Bloor and Yonge, maybe 40 people working per shift on the telephones

- Sales reps are expected to make a quota, if they are having a bad day no matter what you say on the phone you are going to get an appointment. This happens alot

- The qualifying question is "Do you have a major credit card" always answer no to this question and you will not get calls. They do sell phone lists so if you deny having a credit card your number is not sellable

- The changed the question to "Does you or your spouse have a full time job" for a while to switch things up. Deny as always and your number is no longer needed

- turnover is massive, 40% turnover per month. And that's not only the telephone sales people either but everyone. We had 3 different managers over a 6 month period.

- Terrible customer service, the customer service rep happens to be the managers secretary. Yes that is the whole customer service department.

I would never order from them
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2004
1139 posts
17 upvotes
Woodbridge
Bullseye wrote: Reviving again....just got a call from Shopco, and went straight to my trusty RFD to check them out.

Anyone else have any other experiences with them?
I wouldnt' order from them again....but it has nothing to do with the product, the quality or the customer server.... I've been pleased with all of it.

Its the sheer quantity of food that comes in a minimum order. I'm only a family of 3, and it has been hard to work through the meat in the quantites you get. (not to mind the expense- I don't think we normally eat as much meat as having this quantity in the freezer has forced us to do)
WTB :
1) Laptop - Ultra/Convertible
2) Camera - digital

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)