Sports & Recreation

Anyone ever try Canlan? (ice hockey academy)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2016 8:06 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3237 posts
576 upvotes
GTA

Anyone ever try Canlan? (ice hockey academy)

I'm an older guy but I've been thinking of starting to play ice hockey for a couple years now. What made me actually think about it more now is that I met a bunch of people recently that play hockey weekly all year and every time i see them they hype it up. So I'm curious if anyone tried the canlan adult classes. How good do you actually have to be at skating / hockey before starting the level 1 classes?
4 replies
Nov 26, 2008
875 posts
539 upvotes
GTA
My coworker just completed a round or two. I'll get him to post up here hopefully.
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1183 upvotes
Try true north hockey . Great beginner league . If I recall correctly 6 weeks of training with 6 weeks of games . Met some great people in the league .
Aug 20, 2006
134 posts
5 upvotes
definitely recommend true north beginner league, they should have one for the fall season. Also, if your skating's not up to par, hit ice rinks as often as you can, it'll give you that extra edge on which ever beginner program you decide.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6643 posts
2249 upvotes
GTA
lightningflik wrote: if your skating's not up to par, hit ice rinks as often as you can, it'll give you that extra edge on which ever beginner program you decide.
Good suggestion, what OP is taught at lessons can be practiced on his own. Canlan has stick & puck; about $5 for an hour that is good for extra practice.

Sounds like True North is good, I have seen a few adults get better after attending Canlan courses also OP. My own kid went to Canlan weekly camps etc, not adult beginner but we were very satisfied with calibre of instruction.