• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2020 1:23 pm
[OP]
Nov 10, 2002
95 posts
40 upvotes

Anyone with Experience that lives close to a railway line

Hi fellow RFDers,

I was hoping to get some advice about purchasing a house that is close to the railway line. The house I'm interested in is near the Mount Joy Go Train Station in Markham Ontario. I would say the railway line sits about 100-200M away and wanted to know if there are any cons of being so close. If there is anyone on this forum that lives in that area, your opinion would be greatly appreciated. I'm worried that there will be a lot of noise from the train running by during the day/night. I'm not sure if this railway line is dedicated to just the GO Train or if a CN/VIA train also goes by.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks
28 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
14732 posts
4862 upvotes
GTA
I'd probably hang out in the neighborhood for a day and find out first hand when making a decision that's so important.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1700 posts
2612 upvotes
Stouffville ON
It depends on the specifics, if it’s backing right into the tracks I would avoid, if it’s separated by row or two of houses it’s different, also being very close to the station is a double edge sword, on one hand it’s a big plus if you can walk, on the other hand you will hear every time the train sounds the horn.
I have been to houses where the ground shakes they were so close, and when sitting in the back yard you couldn’t hear anyone talk.
If you are sensitive to noise look elsewhere, if not you will get used to it, currently the market is so hot that everything will sell, but if the house is backing into the tracks and you will try to sell during slower market there will be a discount.
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
Mar 3, 2016
389 posts
250 upvotes
Markham residents have been complaining for years about the noise from the trains on that railway line, especially that the GO Stouffville line is supposed to be all-day in the coming years. For the price you will pay in Markham, I woud rather find a house a bit further away from the railway line. I don't think CN still uses this line for freight.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5332355

https://www.blogto.com/city/2019/10/mar ... sy-trains/
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
69 posts
67 upvotes
Unless you enjoy the "ding ding ding ding" and trainspotting, don't buy it.

Think about it, you can paint the rooms, plant a tree, change the roof, but you cannot move the railway somewhere else.

Only suckers live near airport and railways.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9725 posts
4036 upvotes
Vaughan
It will be hard to sell in the future.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
2217 posts
2241 upvotes
Toronto, ON
TheMeat wrote: Unless you enjoy the "ding ding ding ding" and trainspotting, don't buy it.

Think about it, you can paint the rooms, plant a tree, change the roof, but you cannot move the railway somewhere else.

Only suckers live near airport and railways.
From what I hear the trains have stopped or will be stopping making noise in residential areas..
Jul 9, 2018
89 posts
73 upvotes
We live about 1 km from the train tracks. The train does not whistle, and there are no dinging railway gates (it's an underpass for the road instead so the train does not have to alert cars). Even with all that, when we're lying in bed at night, we hear the train. Now, it's not loud enough to really bother us, but we definitely hear it. I can only imagine living right next to it, it would be quite loud.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7396 posts
1573 upvotes
Scarborough
Noise and then that vibration from the engine revving up, not worth it
Are u able to tolerate that even on weekends when noise and vibration gonna wake u up so no more sleeping in when trains run 7 days a week
[OP]
Nov 10, 2002
95 posts
40 upvotes
Thanks for all your suggestions and comments!
SusanM6112 wrote: We live about 1 km from the train tracks. The train does not whistle, and there are no dinging railway gates (it's an underpass for the road instead so the train does not have to alert cars). Even with all that, when we're lying in bed at night, we hear the train. Now, it's not loud enough to really bother us, but we definitely hear it. I can only imagine living right next to it, it would be quite loud.
This is the address of the house:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/19+Co ... 79.2615229

It doesn't sit exactly behind the railway but it's pretty close which is giving me a bit of hesitation. A corner lot house sits behind the railway and separated by the street and the house I'm looking at is right beside the corner lot house.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1700 posts
2612 upvotes
Stouffville ON
Chinboyz wrote: Thanks for all your suggestions and comments!

This is the address of the house:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/19+Co ... 79.2615229
In addition to the train issue you also neighbours issue, typically you would have 1 neighbour on each side, on the left you have 3 neighbours, more chances to have a bad/noisy one.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4172 posts
982 upvotes
I would prefer to be walking distance to the GO train. That's a ton of money to save on a second car and insurance. I understand the 2nd car may be a necessity for some if the kid(s) activities don't line up with the schedule for the rest of the fam tho.
SusanM6112 wrote: We live about 1 km from the train tracks. The train does not whistle, and there are no dinging railway gates (it's an underpass for the road instead so the train does not have to alert cars). Even with all that, when we're lying in bed at night, we hear the train. Now, it's not loud enough to really bother us, but we definitely hear it. I can only imagine living right next to it, it would be quite loud.
Ya the previous poster found an older article. Here is an updated one link.

The OP should check the train schedule and park in the neighbourhood when it arrives/departs to see what the sound is like.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
9405 posts
2245 upvotes
If you have a baby, might be better to be further away but based on the address of the house, it shouldn’t be too bad.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13685 posts
3057 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Reminds me of the famous NYC location used in movies and tv shows. Right under the 2 lane railway line. Looks good on screen. Do you want to live there?? Hellll to da naaaaaww!!!!
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Feb 2, 2014
10201 posts
2922 upvotes
Toronto
Chinboyz wrote: Hi fellow RFDers,

I was hoping to get some advice about purchasing a house that is close to the railway line. The house I'm interested in is near the Mount Joy Go Train Station in Markham Ontario. I would say the railway line sits about 100-200M away and wanted to know if there are any cons of being so close. If there is anyone on this forum that lives in that area, your opinion would be greatly appreciated. I'm worried that there will be a lot of noise from the train running by during the day/night. I'm not sure if this railway line is dedicated to just the GO Train or if a CN/VIA train also goes by.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks
I think your question has already been answered. Retaining walls help a lot, but go check it out firsthand.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4633 upvotes
Montréal
Ya, firsthand is the only answer. I lived kinda close when I was in my previous condo. Not the same thing but our windows were amazing, no sound at all and w them open just the typical street noises but never noticed the trains too much. House is obviously different esp being at street level. Also need to ensure that part of the tracks doesn't create any loud screeching, just saw a video on YT, man, that would drive you insane!
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Jan 30, 2008
864 posts
353 upvotes
Check about whistle cessation for this stop. I believe there is one. Personal for the lot size and price, I think this is a good deal. We walk this area often and I love the quietness here from traffic (other than train). The whole Mt Joy Greensborough area is a GREAT neighbourhood if you're wondering about it in general. We love the amount of green spaces here.

The traffic does get a little messy coming in from castlemore, especially around rush hour so if you plan to take the GO this is a great location.
Dec 12, 2011
203 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto
I grew up living beside the cn rail train in thornhill and although it was very loud, we developed a high noise tolerance and the rumbling became soothing for me. My wife (gf at the time) was very bothered by it and always made a comment when the train would go by when most times I never even noticed it. In south etibicoke we lived very near to the go train and the wife would occasionally be annoyed by it even though the train wasn't nearly as loud and we weren't the closest houses to it. Honestly, you would have to spend time in the area to determine how the noise would sound to make the best decision (although it would sound different in the actual house). As far as resale, most buyers will choose not to live directly beside the tracks so it would affect your pockets if you decide to sell but you would also be getting the house cheaper than one that is 3 or 4 houses further.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1700 posts
2612 upvotes
Stouffville ON
clydelee2020 wrote: I grew up living beside the cn rail train in thornhill and although it was very loud, we developed a high noise tolerance and the rumbling became soothing for me.
That's the point, you can get used to it, frankly you can get used to many things, the question as a buyer is: do you want to buy a house that you will get used to, or it's a deal breaker.
For me it would be deal breaker, for others it's not.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)