Careers

Anyone With Experience Working At Large Commercial Gym?

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2016 11:44 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 26, 2015
18 posts
1 upvote
Ontario

Anyone With Experience Working At Large Commercial Gym?

Have a job opportunity working as a full time PT for GL. Am wondering what the experience is like? I know I have to do a lot of prospecting and attempting to make sales, and I hear sales are hard to make.

What happens if you don't make sales? Are you able to survive just working the floor for min wage and doing prospecting for 12/hr?

Basically wondering if it is worth working full time as a PT having to find my own clients and pay for my own rent as opposed to moving home.

Are there any gym chains that do not require you to look for clients?
5 replies
Dec 17, 2015
4 posts
Canada
PT = physiotherapist, not personal trainer. I can only tell you my experience as a member at Goodlife. To me it feels like trainers are constantly prowling for new clients...gets boring real fast (and that's just for me, I'd hate to be in their shoes).
Apr 18, 2016
6 posts
Basically all big box gyms are some variation of this.

If you want to have a place hand you clients, you're going to need to find a boutique studio, who has an excess of clients and needs an additional trainer (or, more likely, one of their trainers is leaving to do go do some graduate program, etc.).

There are exceptions, but if you want to be a successful trainer you have to show your worth. You can do that by selling yourself/your services really well, building an excellent reputation, or being otherwise desirable.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
632 upvotes
Toronto
I worked for Goodlife for years ... Pm me
Dec 13, 2015
38 posts
8 upvotes
I worked for a local big gym, the membership usually includes one free pt class to try and it was up to the pt to try and continue that relationship on their own. Honestly, I feel like you can be a PT on your own