None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3168 posts
805 upvotes
Vaughan

Anyone familiar with eBay policies

I was bidding on an item on eBay. Seller is from Hong Kong. Has almost 10K feedback. I was the top bidder. There was probably 1.5 days until the end of the auction. Seller deletes the listing, and re-list the same item again. There were two of same items for sale from the same seller. The seller cancelled both items for sale. I was only bidding on one.

How is this fair, that the seller can cancel an item for sale, that he/she has up for a few days, and because the price isn't what he/she was expecting. I feel that the seller will continue to do this until price he/she wants is met, which is never, unless they decide to sell it for a set price, instead of an auction style, where you bid.

I'll probably just end up paying more for the same item from another seller for a bit more. I'm just a bit frustrated that the seller is just playing games at this point.

Can I report this eBay some how. Does the seller receive any extra fees for cancelling and re-listing?

fyi, the item is relisted for 0.99 usd again.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
11 replies
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1422 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
That's perfectly legal under their policies. Seller can cancel their auctions even a few seconds from completion if the price is much lower than anticipated.

The only reason you see lower prices initially is to try to get more bids in an effort to drive the price up higher than the one the seller would be OK to sell the item for. I know from experience it's a good strategy which works often on in-demand items.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Im in the opposite boat. I wanna sell something on eBay, but not sure what strategies I can do to protect myself. Can I refuse to sell to ppl with low feedback? What if they still bid?

Should I say final as-is sale in my listing? I just don't want some scammer coming back saying the item doesn't work, etc.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16007 posts
377 upvotes
SuperDuperFox wrote: Im in the opposite boat. I wanna sell something on eBay, but not sure what strategies I can do to protect myself. Can I refuse to sell to ppl with low feedback? What if they still bid?

Should I say final as-is sale in my listing? I just don't want some scammer coming back saying the item doesn't work, etc.
I remember there's an option for preventing people with certain feedbacks (eg, <10 feedbacks can't bid etc).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1501 upvotes
phuviano wrote: I was bidding on an item on eBay. Seller is from Hong Kong. Has almost 10K feedback. I was the top bidder. There was probably 1.5 days until the end of the auction. Seller deletes the listing, and re-list the same item again. There were two of same items for sale from the same seller. The seller cancelled both items for sale. I was only bidding on one.

How is this fair, that the seller can cancel an item for sale, that he/she has up for a few days, and because the price isn't what he/she was expecting. I feel that the seller will continue to do this until price he/she wants is met, which is never, unless they decide to sell it for a set price, instead of an auction style, where you bid.

I'll probably just end up paying more for the same item from another seller for a bit more. I'm just a bit frustrated that the seller is just playing games at this point.

Can I report this eBay some how. Does the seller receive any extra fees for cancelling and re-listing?

fyi, the item is relisted for 0.99 usd again.
Not sure how this is different from Reserved price...

Just look for the item elsewhere...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9125 posts
2751 upvotes
London
StratMangler wrote: That's perfectly legal under their policies. Seller can cancel their auctions even a few seconds from completion if the price is much lower than anticipated.

The only reason you see lower prices initially is to try to get more bids in an effort to drive the price up higher than the one the seller would be OK to sell the item for. I know from experience it's a good strategy which works often on in-demand items.
It also could be the seller is trying to attract attention to the same/similar items they are selling as BINs; people will sort by lowestprice+shipping, and find these cheap auctions, and check out the sellers other items to get the item immediately.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9125 posts
2751 upvotes
London
SuperDuperFox wrote: Im in the opposite boat. I wanna sell something on eBay, but not sure what strategies I can do to protect myself. Can I refuse to sell to ppl with low feedback? What if they still bid?

You can restrict where you will ship items, and people with low feedback/negative feedback, IIRC. You can specifically say the item is sold as-is, but people are idiots and can't read and will complain anyways. What are you trying to sell? I rarely sell on Ebay unless it's an item that has limited local appeal (in other words, I had zero interest on Kijiji or other online venues).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3168 posts
805 upvotes
Vaughan
StratMangler wrote: That's perfectly legal under their policies. Seller can cancel their auctions even a few seconds from completion if the price is much lower than anticipated.

Thanks for the info.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Ottomaddox wrote: You can restrict where you will ship items, and people with low feedback/negative feedback, IIRC. You can specifically say the item is sold as-is, but people are idiots and can't read and will complain anyways. What are you trying to sell? I rarely sell on Ebay unless it's an item that has limited local appeal (in other words, I had zero interest on Kijiji or other online venues).
Playstation 4.... :confused:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8656 posts
2354 upvotes
To stop that they changed the policy a few years ago to being if you cancel an auction that has bids, you pay the fee as if it sold, so there is a big penalty for doing that. You only get 1 a year to cancel without a fee

Most of the responses here are wrong "You can restrict where you will ship items, and people with low feedback/negative feedback," Yes you can specify countries when you list, the only feedback block is -1 or worse, but since sellers can't leave negative fb for buyers, no one is -1.

" remember there's an option for preventing people with certain feedbacks (eg, <10 feedbacks can't bid etc)." - Never been such an option

" Seller can cancel their auctions even a few seconds from completion if the price is much lower than anticipated." - No, under 12 hours it can't be cancelled at all other then to sell to the highest bidder. Over 12 hours left it can be cancelled with the fee paid as if it sold at the highest bid
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9125 posts
2751 upvotes
London
SuperDuperFox wrote: Playstation 4.... :confused:
If you account for the hassle of shipping, and paying the vig to PP and ebay, wouldn't a local sale wouldn't be easier....?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2831 posts
2140 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
peanutz wrote: Not sure how this is different from Reserved price...

Just look for the item elsewhere...
The difference is the seller didn't want to pay the reserved price listing fee.

IMO, if you list it for a non-reserved price, you should be required to sell it for the price it reaches. That's the nature of auctions. If you don't want to sell it for a low price, then either do reserved or set your minimum price higher.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.