Shopping Discussion

Anyone get denied when they try to use printed coupons?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2009 11:00 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6658 posts
1392 upvotes

Anyone get denied when they try to use printed coupons?

I receive the So Good newsletter which sometimes contains coupons for soy milk or soy dessert. The coupons are mailed to me and I have to print them out. Lately I've tried to use the coupons at Price Chopper, No Frills, and A & P and have been told each time that the store does not accept printed coupons. (Well at Price Chopper I was told they ONLY accept save.ca coupons.)

I can understand that they'd have an issue with fraud if they suspected that people were faking coupons. But if this is the only way I receive the coupon from the company, it makes it impossible to ever redeem them.

What gives?
10 replies
Aug 31, 2008
549 posts
280 upvotes
Barrie
amz155 wrote: I receive the So Good newsletter which sometimes contains coupons for soy milk or soy dessert. The coupons are mailed to me and I have to print them out. Lately I've tried to use the coupons at Price Chopper, No Frills, and A & P and have been told each time that the store does not accept printed coupons. (Well at Price Chopper I was told they ONLY accept save.ca coupons.)

I can understand that they'd have an issue with fraud if they suspected that people were faking coupons. But if this is the only way I receive the coupon from the company, it makes it impossible to ever redeem them.

What gives?
I have seen a lot of retailers posting that they will not accept any printer coupons. I do not know where this will end, as most companies prefer to have us print their coupons for our use (saving them the cost of mailings, printing, handling).

I have had the issue myself when trying to use Sobey's coupons for bonus Sobey points...they said that they can do as they like and because of fraud they are not accepting them!!!! I asked for the manager, she said that there was no recourse. I contacted head office and they said they would rectify the situation and make it clear to their stores that they must take these coupons.

I went back to the store with the email from head office in hand...still no luck.

I am very leery of any retailer accepting a coupon that I print at home and it is a bonus if they do...but that is costly to me if the don't with the price of ink for my printer being expensive.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9032 posts
2024 upvotes
I think you can thank Maple Leaf foods for the majority of this mess. Back a while ago people were redeeming tones of free product coupons to which they were not eligible for and the stores must've take a huge bath on this.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8998 posts
2720 upvotes
Blame some people on this site and another one for grossly abusing the maple leaf ones, and continuing to do so after it was pointed out they weren't valid (only morons wouldn't have realized that from the start). Another site actually hosted the maple leaf ones for awhile and told people to go use them while people bragged of printing stacks of them to go store to store with. Can't blame the stores for not wanting to be hit with that sort of loss.

The latest thing there is being "livid" when they buy stuff with coupons the stores don't always give the full amount including the coupon value back in cash when they return it. Apparently its a regular thing for some to return quantities of shampoo etc. and think thats a normal thing to do.

My last problem was using a save.ca one at A&P, where I've used piles over the years...and being told by cashier and supervisor they were "internet" and not accepted, even if they come in the mail.

it drives me nuts having problems all the time with common coupons...but then i read the scammy things people brag of doing with them and I understand why they are so leery.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19732 posts
2469 upvotes
I have never been denied a printed coupon. But I never print grocery store coupons. Not worth the ink + paper + time IMO.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Aug 30, 2008
909 posts
184 upvotes
ON
well I've only used the save.ca ones but the cashier at Loblaws was having a REALLY good look at the front and back before accepting it. as long as I can use it... :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
2887 posts
47 upvotes
I have in Nofrills, where the stores rationale is that they need the actual coupon itself (the ones you get in the mail).. because people have abused the use of "printed coupons" in the past.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10606 posts
2292 upvotes
Nowhere
Save.ca now has written on the back of their coupons:

[QUOTE]To the Dealer: This a manufacturer coupon printed and mailed to the consumer by SAVE.CA on behalf of the manufacturer. Please see the information regarding reimbursement on the face of the coupon.

Save.CA INC[/QUOTE]

Obviously this is to address the issue of stores refusing their coupons. They also ask on their website that you contact them if a store refuses to accept your Save.Ca coupon and they will contact the store on your behalf.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2006
2577 posts
937 upvotes
GTA
you can email back the company, in your case 'So Good', and tell them that you are having problems redeeming printed coupons. Most of the time, the company will mail you actual/physical coupons to your home.

hope this helps.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8998 posts
2720 upvotes
Save.ca used to email you back right away to say they contacted the store and tell you what they said. Since save.ca has advertised being "A torstar company", I haven't heard of anyone getting any response from them. Dont' know if they still contact the store. The change to the wording on the back should stop most of the problems.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10606 posts
2292 upvotes
Nowhere
zoro69 wrote: Save.ca used to email you back right away to say they contacted the store and tell you what they said. Since save.ca has advertised being "A torstar company", I haven't heard of anyone getting any response from them. Dont' know if they still contact the store. The change to the wording on the back should stop most of the problems.
I just emailed them yesterday to complain about No Frills, so we'll see what happens. No Frills wanted to give me $1.99 for a coupon with a face value of $2. Besides the obvious fact that they get reimbursed for the face value so they are committing coupon fraud by redeeming at a lower amount, the coupon clearly stated that taxes were included in the face value of the coupon. The item was on sale for $1.99 but with taxes was $2.25. I got my $2 by refusing to leave without it. I am getting sick of stores not redeeming coupons properly. In one week, I have had issues with ever coupon that I have redeemed at Walmart, Zellers, SDM and now No Frills.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)