• Apr 30th, 2020 3:54 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 15, 2020
54 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto

Anyone good with eletroics? GPU 2080 Ti

I have a PNY 2080 Ti video card. I has purple lines on screen and nvidia driver installs but control panel won't open. There is an ! mark under device manager. I was able re-flash bios on it.

The weird thing is when I screen shot the problem all the lines disappear also noticed when I select an area using snipping tool it briefly becomes clear of purple lines.
Any ideas as to what failed?
Images
  • save2080ti.png
17 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20060 posts
5448 upvotes
Good Morning
Get DDU, fully uninstall the drivers in safe mode and try to install the drivers again.

Did it happen suddenly during gaming/encoding/etc?
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3419 posts
3561 upvotes
GTA
Try to output to a different screen or monitor? I only say that because you don't see lines on a screen cap, so maybe its not the card but the screen. Just a long shot though since you get a ! for the hardware, most likely an issue there.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2358 posts
956 upvotes
Toronto
As somebody has mentioned, it could be your monitor. Try to output to another monitor or TV.

Try another cable (HDMI, DisplayPort, etc).

Try to take out the video card and put it back in (pull the card out from the PCIe slot). I've experienced weird errors and had to do this with RAM, a video card at home, and a video card at work.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
917 upvotes
Windsor
RomeoAlphaJuliet wrote: I have a PNY 2080 Ti video card. I has purple lines on screen and nvidia driver installs but control panel won't open. There is an ! mark under device manager. I was able re-flash bios on it.

The weird thing is when I screen shot the problem all the lines disappear also noticed when I select an area using snipping tool it briefly becomes clear of purple lines.
Your monitor is probably failing. Connect something else to it (ideally with a different cable) and see if the problem stays.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1704 posts
772 upvotes
Ontario
Try a different cable and/or input. Mine made pink lines when my cable went out, pressed on cable it would go away, replaced it and it was fine since...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1027 posts
627 upvotes
Vancouver
It sorta sounds like a VRAM issue, though that will cause the lines to show up in the screenshot too. Do these lines show up in BIOS or in Windows Installer? If not then it is a software issue.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2020
54 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
I tried different cables/monitor already. Yes it shows when booting bios as well. I use duel GPU setting to screenshot my card screen then switch to on board and there was no lines on the screen shot.
HDMI and a display port works but 2 other DP won't work. I don't have a mini-DP to test mini-DP port. My NVIDIA control panel wont open either. So any ideas?
[OP]
Jan 15, 2020
54 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
IcarusLSC wrote: RMA it.
Unfortunately I bought it used. I'm hoping there is something wrong between the output and the video chip
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1704 posts
772 upvotes
Ontario
RomeoAlphaJuliet wrote: Unfortunately I bought it used. I'm hoping there is something wrong between the output and the video chip
I'd contact PNY, you may still be able to RMA it. Worth a shot, or live with it, or toss it in the garbage....
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1989 posts
1037 upvotes
GTA
RomeoAlphaJuliet wrote: I have a PNY 2080 Ti video card. I has purple lines on screen and nvidia driver installs but control panel won't open. There is an ! mark under device manager. I was able re-flash bios on it.

IcarusLSC wrote: I'd contact PNY, you may still be able to RMA it. Worth a shot, or live with it, or toss it in the garbage....
Lol ... toss it in the garbage? It's a $1500 graphics card ...

[OP] PNY has a 3 year warranty on the card. Reference design or the 3 fan design. Contact them and RMA it and get a replacement one. Don't waste time troubleshooting. Get a new card, use the warranty. I agree with others, obviously something is failing on the board.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1704 posts
772 upvotes
Ontario
heyyahblah wrote: Lol ... toss it in the garbage? It's a $1500 graphics card ...

[OP] PNY has a 3 year warranty on the card. Reference design or the 3 fan design. Contact them and RMA it and get a replacement one. Don't waste time troubleshooting. Get a new card, use the warranty. I agree with others, obviously something is failing on the board.
I suggested RMA already, if they don't want to try...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1989 posts
1037 upvotes
GTA
IcarusLSC wrote: I suggested RMA already, if they don't want to try...
Tell him to toss it in my garbage, I'll gladly recycle it
Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3452 posts
887 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
RomeoAlphaJuliet wrote: Unfortunately I bought it used. I'm hoping there is something wrong between the output and the video chip
IcarusLSC wrote: I'd contact PNY, you may still be able to RMA it. Worth a shot, or live with it, or toss it in the garbage....
I was going to suggest the same thing as all the major top GPU brands can still honour the warranty without the receipt. If you can't supply it, then they base it off the manufacture date which is the serial number sticker on the GPU.
heyyahblah wrote: Lol ... toss it in the garbage? It's a $1500 graphics card ...

That's not going to fly, I just looked at the PNY website and seems like they're firm on requiring a receipt. I also learned that PNY actually offers a lifetime warranty (to original owner) upon online registration, how interesting.. https://www.pny.com/support/technical-s ... s-policies
[OP]
Jan 15, 2020
54 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
I have the receipt but it was bought from an unauthorized dealer on newegg.ca new. The guy was prob unaware he was unauthorized.. PNY didn't accept it said only original purchaser so the unauthorized seller who bought it where ever.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3419 posts
3561 upvotes
GTA
If you tried all the video outputs you possibly could and they still give you that problem, then he sold you something faulty. How long have you had it? Was it BNIB? You didn't do anything that you remember, like an extreme overclock, physically drop it, anything? If you didn't and it technically has a PNY warranty, can you send it back to the seller to take care of it?
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1027 posts
627 upvotes
Vancouver
RomeoAlphaJuliet wrote: I tried different cables/monitor already. Yes it shows when booting bios as well. I use duel GPU setting to screenshot my card screen then switch to on board and there was no lines on the screen shot.
HDMI and a display port works but 2 other DP won't work. I don't have a mini-DP to test mini-DP port. My NVIDIA control panel wont open either. So any ideas?
Sorry but that sounds like a VRAM issue. Does the situation change if you move the card. I ran an ATI card for 6-7 months with bad VRAM, by propping it at the right angle.

A reflow might work, but from what it sounds like, you were sold a bad card which the seller knew about and should seek refund