Shopping Discussion

Anyone got banned from amazon?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2020 11:17 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1081 posts
512 upvotes

Anyone got banned from amazon?

Just wondering if amazon will ban user with too many returns? what is considered "too many"?

I had about 10 orders in the past 4 months, some with multiple items, items from marketplace sellers. I returned 3 items with legitmate reason (skincare product expires in 2 months, items came damaged, leaking etc). Now I have problem with another item that I would like to return but is worried about returning too many items within a short period of time. Some posts on reddit suggest that if your return ratio is over 10%, you are likely to be banned but of course, I don't order hundreds of items from amazon every year....
20 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19440 posts
22557 upvotes
GTA
jjesskaka wrote: Just wondering if amazon will ban user with too many returns? what is considered "too many"?

I had about 10 orders in the past 4 months, some with multiple items, items from marketplace sellers. I returned 3 items with legitmate reason (skincare product expires in 2 months, items came damaged, leaking etc). Now I have problem with another item that I would like to return but is worried about returning too many items within a short period of time. Some posts on reddit suggest that if your return ratio is over 10%, you are likely to be banned but of course, I don't order hundreds of items from amazon every year....
I return lots for good reason with no worries. If they ban me, I'll just start a new account.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Banned
User avatar
Jul 18, 2020
52 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
engineered wrote: I return lots for good reason with no worries. If they ban me, I'll just start a new account.
If their security department sees you open multiple accounts, it’s possible to get a lifetime ban.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
15001 posts
11521 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Oh yeah?
TomDrake81 wrote: If their security department sees you open multiple accounts, it’s possible to get a lifetime ban.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 22, 2005
20742 posts
6210 upvotes
GTA
Maybe they will, maybe they won't.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19440 posts
22557 upvotes
GTA
TomDrake81 wrote: If their security department sees you open multiple accounts, it’s possible to get a lifetime ban.
I don't see how that's possible. Only way to connect them would be if they connect 2 credit cards together. Even then you could use a prepaid card with a different name.
Or maybe you pay for a static IP and don't have access to internet any other way.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5070 posts
3251 upvotes
I had a bunch of returns and refunds, no issue.

One was frustrating, they shipped Pringles chips and basically I have to eat them with a spoon. Shipped replacement and it was even worse with less packaging, they offered refund instead.

Others were defective products and product not received.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2006
4384 posts
480 upvotes
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/tal ... 636089002/


"We never take these decisions lightly, but with over 300 million customers around the world, we take action when appropriate to protect the experience for all our customers," said Amazon. "If a customer believes we’ve made an error, we encourage them to contact us directly so we can review their account and take appropriate action."
Questrade | Crypto.com | BlockFi | Public Mobile
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
engineered wrote: I don't see how that's possible. Only way to connect them would be if they connect 2 credit cards together. Even then you could use a prepaid card with a different name.
Or maybe you pay for a static IP and don't have access to internet any other way.
Names, addresses, phone numbers, credit card numbers, IP addresses... All ways they can attempt to link one account to another. And yes, you could side-step most of them. But many people wouldn't bother (or even think about it).

C
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 18, 2005
21086 posts
5747 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
engineered wrote: I return lots for good reason with no worries. If they ban me, I'll just start a new account.
Normally amazon doesn't care how many accounts you have. But they know who you are.

If you did something wrong, such as abusing the "new user" coupons, they will ban all your accounts.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19440 posts
22557 upvotes
GTA
CNeufeld wrote: Names, addresses, phone numbers, credit card numbers, IP addresses... All ways they can attempt to link one account to another. And yes, you could side-step most of them. But many people wouldn't bother (or even think about it).
C
I mean, if you're banned you have no choice but to side step them. I'm just saying that there's basically no way they could stop me if I was banned.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
16831 posts
32845 upvotes
Scarborough
engineered wrote: I mean, if you're banned you have no choice but to side step them. I'm just saying that there's basically no way they could stop me if I was banned.
It's probably not too had to get around an Amazon account ban. That being said, I don't know anyone who has actually been banned by them.

I probably only return 1 out of every 30 or so orders, which I hope isn't enough to ever raise a flag on my account.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8402 posts
5272 upvotes
Mississauga
Seem like a lot of work to be an Amazon sheep.
Sr. Member
May 18, 2018
727 posts
743 upvotes
I would think they would warn you first then ban you if you're still doing what they told you to stop doing.

But honestly i don't think I ever heard of anyone getting banned for returning stuff, my wife returns clothes all the time, no issue.
Banned
User avatar
Jul 18, 2020
52 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
PanchoVilla wrote: I would think they would warn you first then ban you if you're still doing what they told you to stop doing.

But honestly i don't think I ever heard of anyone getting banned for returning stuff, my wife returns clothes all the time, no issue.
once you're past a certain threshold, you get a warning, then another warning. Then the hammer.
Again, depends on what you're doing. But they log everything (credit card numbers, IP, etc).
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 12, 2017
19992 posts
5736 upvotes
Scarberia
ive got over many accounts, never been banned but i think they caught on prime..they charged me for one month prime when i was on 'free' trial still(i think i used a regular cc and not a prepaid cc, my mystake thats why!) if u use a low balance cc they cannot charge u lol..i haven't tried prime again too lazy to make a new account.pretty sure it still works if u use a low balance prepaid cc for free 30 day prime, not sure if they ban u if u keep using the same one..i usually rotate mine, i have like 10 low pp ccs lol
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26189 posts
23221 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
jjesskaka wrote: Just wondering if amazon will ban user with too many returns? what is considered "too many"?

I had about 10 orders in the past 4 months, some with multiple items, items from marketplace sellers. I returned 3 items with legitmate reason (skincare product expires in 2 months, items came damaged, leaking etc). Now I have problem with another item that I would like to return but is worried about returning too many items within a short period of time. Some posts on reddit suggest that if your return ratio is over 10%, you are likely to be banned but of course, I don't order hundreds of items from amazon every year....
I would imagine it depends on the reasons for the returns. The ones you've given are all legit. But I can see banning someone who returns stuff for less legit reasons, e.g. they didn't like the item, or especially someone who tries to defraud Amazon, e.g. returning an old or inferior version of what they ordered, etc. With 100s of millions of customers it's not unreasonable that 1,000s might get banned.
mrweather wrote: Seem like a lot of work to be an Amazon sheep.
KravenHead wrote: Better than being a donkey....
Or worse, an Amazon ass.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 10, 2004
4570 posts
2123 upvotes
Edmonton
I like to gamble a bit with warehouse deals. Quite often the descriptions are not very accurate. Items described as good, have been brand new and never opened. Items flagged as excellent, are missing pieces etc.

We tried with something deemed acceptable, and it came broken in two. So, a decent amount of returns there.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26189 posts
23221 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
From That sweater you don’t like is a trillion-dollar problem for retailers. These companies want to fix it
“Shoppers return 5 to 10 percent of what they purchase in store but 15 to 40 percent of what they buy online,” David Sobie, co-founder and CEO of Happy Returns told CNBC.

Not being able to see an item in person accounts for part of the difference, but consumers also shop differently online than in-store, Sobie said. They may order multiple sizes or colors to try on at home, and then ship or take back what they don’t want, with shipping paid for by the retailer, both ways in some cases...

Average return rates vary by category, but clothing and shoes bought online typically have the highest rates with 30 to 40 percent returned...
Judging by those numbers it would take a lot of effort for someone to get banned by Amazon for returning stuff that doesn't fit. The article goes on to explain how much this costs all of us, both economically as well as ecologically.

Perhaps those of us who don't return anywhere near 15% of what we buy from Amazon, let alone 30% to 40%, are indeed the asses here. Asses for not demanding that Amazon pay us dividends for being an exceptionally good (and highly profitable!) customers compared to the rest of the herd.
veni, vidi, Visa

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)