Food & Drink

Anyone had any experience with Nutrafarms?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2020 5:02 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 10, 2010
110 posts
68 upvotes
MirandaAlbert wrote: I was with Nutrafarms for years and always had this sick feeling in my stomach that I was being robbed. Year after year I would ask for an itemized list and price per pound and they would always skirt around it. A friend of mine went with a new outfit in this area that was able to give an exact cost and list, when I heard the cost I couldn't believe it. I will save thousands by going with them.
Who are you going with now?
Jul 31, 2018
6 posts
17 upvotes
I just asked my husband, he says they are called Ottawa Valley Meats. The order was under $1200 and we got pretty much what we did before. They also gave us an exact breakdown of the order in an email before we received it.
Jun 2, 2012
312 posts
291 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Lol, mirandlambert, I like how subtle your promotion of ottawa valley meats is. /s

Tell us more about the sinking feeling you had ordering from nutrafarms year after year without ever managing to get a cost breakdown. Even though you felt you were getting robbed you kept ordering right? No other way to get well priced meat. Really no alternatives at all. Until Ottawa Valley Meats! You couldnt believe your savings!! Incredible!!

At least try to diversify your post history first.

So I’m going to vote no on Ottawa Valley Meats.
Sep 10, 2010
110 posts
68 upvotes
gemenichic wrote: Lol, mirandlambert, I like how subtle your promotion of ottawa valley meats is. /s

Tell us more about the sinking feeling you had ordering from nutrafarms year after year without ever managing to get a cost breakdown. Even though you felt you were getting robbed you kept ordering right? No other way to get well priced meat. Really no alternatives at all. Until Ottawa Valley Meats! You couldnt believe your savings!! Incredible!!

Lol she didn't mention the company name until I asked? So I'm not sure how to explain your reaction? Aside from not having any other posts I guess.
Jun 2, 2012
312 posts
291 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Trevor.english: feel free to trust her review and spend your money with Ottawa meats.

However, here’s what I saw:

1. Created an account and posted a negative review of a competitor.
Then 2. posted a positive review of her own business.

Didn’t post anything else, at all.

I think that some companies think that trying to attack a reputation of a competitor is helpful to their own business.

Her first post makes no sense. Year after year she would order from nutrafarms while still feeling that she was being robbed. Even if this is a legitimate review, I’m not sure that the judgment of someone that continues to order from a company that she thinks is robbing her and continues to do so year after year is reliable at least in terms of meat delivery.

Mind you, I had my own experience with nutrafarms and another similar company and after meeting reps from both have been left with a feeling that their business model is based on essentially scamming people out of their hard earned dollars. I, thankfully, did not sign up... didn’t get my free pound either as the rep realized he lost the sale after I disagreed with him when he tried to tell me that it is impossible to raise grass fed cows in Canada....

I am in no way defending nutrafarms, in fact I think people should immediately end the conversation when they hear the word nutrafarms, but I think Ottawa valley meats needs to reevaluate their social media strategy.
Jul 31, 2018
6 posts
17 upvotes
gemenichic wrote: Lol, mirandlambert, I like how subtle your promotion of ottawa valley meats is. /s

I've been a public servant for 10 years now and have no desire to start selling meat or "run a social media page". I felt bad after each nutrafarms order because when I told co-workers, friends and family about it, I could never really explain how it worked or what I was getting for nearly $4000. I actually felt pretty dumb TBH.

I had no plans on mentioning any other company names until someone specifically asked me for it.

I've attached a few pics of one of our Nutrafarms order forms I was able to find just in case there was any doubt still

Sorry I don't have an extensive posting history, Redflags is the first thing that pops up when you Google "Nutrafarms Reviews". I found this thread while looking up more information on how an order is priced, then after reading everything I decided to put a review myself.
Images
  • Photo Editor_5hAASU.png
  • Photo Editor_IMECHO.png
Jun 2, 2012
312 posts
291 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I’m probably just jaded...

My takeaway? I wouldn’t order from nutrafarms or Ottawa valley.

I took a peak at Ottawa valley website. They make some strong claims, without any real information backing them up. I wouldn’t order from them based on their website and the very sparse amount of info provided. Their meats are guaranteed free range, hormone free and all that other good stuff. No information backing up that guarantee. No list of the farms working with them. Nothing. Just some buzzwords.

Looking at google reviews, Ottawa valley meats has only five star reviews (and two one star reviews asking questions)0.. which is questionable. The two one stars review ask questions that the company’s reps do not answer in their response. Including how long the company has been in business. All the other reviews are also less than 3 months old. A lot of the reviews talk about second orders and hit the same key words. A lot of the reviews also negatively compare the competition...

Maybe Miranda Lambert is a real person and a real public servant that ordered from nutrafarms year after year while feeling dumb and telling all her friends and coworkers about it. Maybe she kept all her receipts on hand just for reference, because why not? Maybe she heard from a friend about this new amazing company and ordered from them and got an email itemizing everything, and then promptly forgot the name of this amazing new company and then had to ask her husband for the company’s name so she could share her incredible savings on the internet.

All of this is possible. Of course.

However, I think a healthy dose of skepticism is in order here.
Jul 31, 2018
6 posts
17 upvotes
Think what you will. I don't have to prove myself to some anonymous online person with an unhealthy paranoia for meat companies. I wasn't trying to endorse anyone, until I was specifically asked. I wanted to make sure I got the company name right, excuse me for being thorough...

As for the claims. You are right. I have no way of knowing with 100% certainty about the farming practices, but what I do know is I was sent an invite to see the farms and I think I'll take them up on it. That is more then I can say about the grocery store or nutrafarms for that matter.
Oct 9, 2018
1 posts
3 upvotes
Well I feel like an idiot. I had these guys knock on my door a little while back. Sat down with salesperson, as we are sitting the back of my head is telling me something doesn't add up. Family of 3 and my bill came up to $3935, I'm bot sure how they got this number?

After the salesperson left I went online to look the company up and came across this thread. I thought I would keep an open mind and that surely people only come here with bad experiences...

Well here is an instance of when something on the internet is 100% true. The quality is decent it's just the quantity and how we came about to getting it.

They provided us a very dubious list of cuts and we also got the "green" cleaning products. I think they are as good for cleaning as water is.

By my calculations I got 175lbs. Or around $22 a pound. Buyer beware. If you are on the fence and find this post please take head and don't make the same mistake as me.
Dec 25, 2012
914 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto
They came by, gave me the sample and wanted to speak with my partner. They are coming back tmr as they weren't home.

Can I escape unscathed? I'll give them back the meat lol. Did anyone take the sample and not sign up?
JS
Nov 14, 2018
1 posts
3 upvotes
The first guy came over promising a free sample of meat so i said yes.

The salesman came over and asked if I had time to talk.

I said no, and that i was just expecting a free sample delivered, and nothing more.

He tried to guilt trip me about not caring about local farmers, then I told him I just want the sample and won't be buying anything.

He was pissed off, but let me keep that small pack of ground beef haha

Then I just told him, it's better this way, it saves everyone some time. (he was apparently "already in the area" after all!)

Bottom line is: if they have to come to your door to sell something, you don't need it...
Nov 17, 2018
1 posts
We just placed an order from NUTRAFARMS 251 King street in Barrie for a year's supply of meat& fish . We also get a free freezer.
In total it was $ 3787.75.
The quality is probably good . They directly support local Ontario farmers that raise their product in humaine conditions. .
I really hope we get a fair amount of quality meat and fish for what we paid for . But to be honest.. I feel like canceling the order and getting my money back . Do we really spend $320 a month on meat ?
Booze maybe or clothes for your teenage kids . Let's see .
Oct 3, 2017
649 posts
484 upvotes
You signed up just to post that you feel like cancelling a $4000 food order that everyone says is a scam but that you are still thinking of not cancelling? What am I missing and what is the point your post?
Dec 10, 2018
1 posts
1 upvote
We got an order last week after reading some positive google reviews. What a bunch of lies!! We had a friend who ordered a few years back tell us that they bribed him with free product to put up a positive review (duhhh).

Our order will likely last us 6 months based on our math, which leaves us almost paying $400 a month for 4 months with NO MEAT. Our math works our order out to $31 a pound...yup you read that right. $31 a pound for ground beef and chicken thighs.

I was clearly lied to by the rep. We never received a breakdown of what we ordered. Had we, we would never have accepted it. Ever. We we're assured it would last 10-12 months. We are going to get at most 6 months.

We got our order 2 weeks ago. Is there anything we can do???