Food & Drink

Anyone had any experience with Nutrafarms?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2020 5:02 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 14, 2020
6 posts
8 upvotes
Ok I appreciate the pics. They dont really give you a sense of how much you got though considering they are also full of what appears to be frozen fruits and vegetables and waffles?

Did you take everything out of their boxes too?

Let's assume that's a small and medium freezer or a total of around 14 cubic feet of space. And let's assume you took everything out fo the boxes and was super efficient at putting it away. Being generous I would say they are 70% full. So you got around 10 solid cubic feet of meat. A cursory google search will tell you that you need 1 cubic foot for every 20-25lbs of meat. Let's cut the difference and say its 22.5lbs. So that means you got a maximum of 225lbs. Which is heavier then what most reviews say, BUT you did say you paid more then most. $4400/225lbs = $19.56/lb.

By far the cheapest one I've seen yet, but still seems overly expensive, especially considering all I can see in your freezer is waffles, frozen fruits, and some ground beef and chicken nuggets?

Once again, a full invoice with an itemized list would help (you can redact your personal info). Thanks for your help!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12964 upvotes
Kanata2020 wrote: Let's assume that's a small and medium freezer or a total of around 14 cubic feet of space. And let's assume you took everything out fo the boxes and was super efficient at putting it away. Being generous I would say they are 70% full. So you got around 10 solid cubic feet of meat. A cursory google search will tell you that you need 1 cubic foot for every 20-25lbs of meat. Let's cut the difference and say its 22.5lbs. So that means you got a maximum of 225lbs. Which is heavier then what most reviews say, BUT you did say you paid more then most. $4400/225lbs = $19.56/lb.
Not a bad price for steak, but criminal for literally anything else.
I doubt you're getting 10cuft of steak though.
By far the cheapest one I've seen yet
WTF? It goes UP from here?
chicken nuggets?
That's a lot of nuggets. Also waffles.
Once again, a full invoice with an itemized list would help (you can redact your personal info). Thanks for your help!
I would also like this even though I'm pretty sure this isn't even available in my area.
Curiosity more than anything.
Jan 14, 2020
6 posts
8 upvotes
Curious how Ryan responded immediately , but now that I am asking for more details he has disappeared. Since my last question I did more research, and it looks like Nutrafarms has a history of getting employees to post fake reviews...I sincerely hope this isn't the case again
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12964 upvotes
Kanata2020 wrote: Curious how Ryan responded immediately , but now that I am asking for more details he has disappeared.
Let's try it the hard way.
@RyanD3449
Aug 12, 2012
845 posts
411 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Not sure if it's been shared, but here's a post where someone weighed out their order:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ottawa/comment ... e_warning/
$3935.00 or $85 a week for 10 months. He didn't give any numbers on pounds or what we would be getting.

Maybe we were hungry or tired but we didn't ask too many questions and signed up.

Next week our meat comes in. Here is what we got:

155lbs of meat

10lbs of striploin 60lbs of chicken breast 40lbs of ground beef 10lbs sausage 10lbs bacon 15lbs pork chops

$25 a pound

Here is the other kicker, ALL the meat is from southern Ontario...not so local.
Another poster said the 'local' lamb had New Zealand stamps on it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12964 upvotes
Frank311 wrote: $25 a pound
I'm shocked. SHOCKED. Well not that shocked.

For a good striploin? Maybe.
But that's like 7% of the total weight.
Even if it was top shelf quality, nothing else is worth $25/lb. Certainly not 40lbs of filler ground beef and chicken.
Aug 12, 2012
845 posts
411 upvotes
Richmond Hill
death_hawk wrote: I'm shocked. SHOCKED. Well not that shocked.

For a good striploin? Maybe.
But that's like 7% of the total weight.
Even if it was top shelf quality, nothing else is worth $25/lb. Certainly not 40lbs of filler ground beef and chicken.
Nearly 65% of the order is chicken breast and ground beef. Chicken breast is about $6/lb and ground beef is $4/lb. Imagine what has to happen in the world for those prices to jump to $25/lb.

I buy most of my meat at Costco so I'm used to seeing $/kg. I had to do the conversion... $25/lb is about $55/kg. Aside from some wagyu steaks, I've NEVER seen anything close to that price at Costco.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12964 upvotes
Frank311 wrote: Chicken breast is about $6/lb and ground beef is $4/lb.
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as to the source.
While I like Costco's breasts and ground meat more than most, they're still factory farms.
I'm going to pretend that Nutrafarms has hand raised chickens that were hugged every day and cows that laid around in the sunshine with a personal butler bringing them grass and beer giving them a massage.

So it's hard to compare to grocery store pricing since their meat is "better".

But even then... at an average of $25/lb they'd literally have to be the above frankly ridiculous description to warrant the prices they want on average.

Let's step back for a second and manipulate the math a little for fun.
Apparently Costco US sells an A5 Waygu for $90USD/lb. Let's call that $120/lb.
10lbs of that is $1200. Let's pretend that's what they're including. Japanese A5 Waygu pretty much does have a butler and massages.

To highlight how ridiculous the pricing is, even if the striploin was an A5, the rest of the order STILL clocks in at nearly $19/lb.
The biggest "money" item still barely makes a dent in the average per pound cost of the rest of the order.

BUT WAIT! There's more! I forgot to include the price of the freezer.
It's top notch! Worth $1000! Yours to keep if you spend four grand with me today!
Just pay separate processing and shipping!

So let's deduct the price of the freezer.
We're down to $12/lb.

This is actually close to what I would reasonably pay for "top end" "filler" like chicken breasts/ground beef/sausages/etc.

So literally the only way this deal makes any sense is if the striplion is A5 Waygu, the freezer is worth $1000, and the meat is top quality.
Those 60lbs of chickens better be hugged individually each and every day or I'm not paying.
Jan 14, 2020
6 posts
8 upvotes
It doesn't matter how you spin the numbers. There is no way to conceptualize the value they imply. Someone actually painstakingly analyzed their order here
In a Subreddit dedicated to them

TLDR: apples to apples their product is 300% more then retail

My family had made a new year's resolution to find more local sources and this seemed great, but the lack of transparency made me do more research.

What really irked me as I dug deeper into it, was the allegations that they manipulated their reviews. When someone finally posted a negative review I reached out to see why (spoiler: no value), shortly after the reviewer told me that they were called and offered free product if they put up a positive review...I also found allegations and some evidence of the owner/VP threatening lawsuits to negative reviewers. Just a thought, but I don't think bullying tactics dispell allegations of scams very well?

The cherry on top is the now obvious attempts to pepper fake positive reviews, just like there was in this thread. Undoubtedly, in a few days we will see another schill(desperate salesman) posting a review about how this was the best purchase of their life and that they are saving thousands, losing weight, and cured their cancer because they have nutrafarms.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
9087 posts
3898 upvotes
Toronto
Kanata2020 wrote: Curious how Ryan responded immediately , but now that I am asking for more details he has disappeared. Since my last question I did more research, and it looks like Nutrafarms has a history of getting employees to post fake reviews...I sincerely hope this isn't the case again
He joined RFD just to post about nutrafarm Thinking Face
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Jan 14, 2020
6 posts
8 upvotes
@Pochacco I sure did! You wouldn't believe it but this is like the 3rd search result when you google them! The other two being their website. How strange that someone looking for information AND experiences on a company should stumble across literally the most popular thread on them with some credible sources.

Then imagine that person wanting to ask a legitimate question to an apparent customer...but lo and behold, you need to create an account yo ask that question. Yep definitely some nefarious stuff going on there. Noooo way the scores of people on here complaining about this shady company are on the right side of things.

Everytime anyone complains there seems to be someone who also responds claiming that it's all fake news. You are just fuelling my ire for companies creating false narratives (whether or not that was your intent)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12964 upvotes
Funny thing is... I have no vested interested in them.
They aren't available in my area.

I just like doing math and shitting on things.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
9087 posts
3898 upvotes
Toronto
Kanata2020 wrote: @Pochacco I sure did! You wouldn't believe it but this is like the 3rd search result when you google them! The other two being their website. How strange that someone looking for information AND experiences on a company should stumble across literally the most popular thread on them with some credible sources.

Then imagine that person wanting to ask a legitimate question to an apparent customer...but lo and behold, you need to create an account yo ask that question. Yep definitely some nefarious stuff going on there. Noooo way the scores of people on here complaining about this shady company are on the right side of things.

Everytime anyone complains there seems to be someone who also responds claiming that it's all fake news. You are just fuelling my ire for companies creating false narratives (whether or not that was your intent)
i wasn't directing at you ;)
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Jan 14, 2020
6 posts
8 upvotes
@Pochacco My apologies, I misread your comment. I was jaded after reading through this thread.

Nutrafarms really gets my blood boiling after reading all the underhanded scummy things they do to prevent their reputation from being further tarnished.

As a side note- anyone googling this while sitting with one of their salespeople: the positive reviews are largely fake or paid for, the negative ones have been removed by brute force.

The package cost is is around $4000.00 and you cna expect around 150lbs of meat at that cost . Mostly filler items . If for some reason you still decide to go with them, make sure to get a complete breakdown of your order BEFORE you give them any money.