Travel

Anyone had to do next day passport service in Vancouver?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2018 8:57 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1809 posts
84 upvotes

Anyone had to do next day passport service in Vancouver?

I need to do the expedited process in Vancouver tomorrow.
planning on applying tomorrow afternoon and picking it up on Wednesday.

Has anyone done this and can give input?
12 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15863 posts
13086 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Curious why if you know this today, why you are not doing it today... so as to have a bit of breathing room.

Plus it could save you $ 60

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... sport.html

Plus the longer YOU WAIT... THE SLIMMER YOUR CHANCES
Cause at some point in the day on Tuesday (depending how busy) they could say NO

Your plan is to go in Tuesday Aft... i’d Be switching that to FIRST THING in the AM
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jan 15th, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3929 posts
1178 upvotes
Durham Region
No personal experience doing it in Vancouver, but if it's anything like Toronto: Triple check your documentation, bring proof of imminent travel (eg airline ticket), get to the passport office hours before it opens to line up.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1809 posts
84 upvotes
#1, I don't live in Vancouver. It's about a 12 hour drive in good conditions or an $800 flight.
I managed to get a flight with airmiles to fly down tomorrow and back Wednesday evening.

In bc, other than the Vancouver area the only other place to get the expedited passport is Kelowna which is still an 11 hour drive.
Jan 11, 2012
183 posts
16 upvotes
Richmond Hill
All like CorSter said, except in my experience it is not really crowded (in the North York office) in the times when 10 year passports are a thing. Also don't have photos taken in Shoppers or similar stores where you just stand against a wall, they can reject it and delay you (the delay could be minor because for example in my case I ran to a real photo place under the passport office and took pic but still...).
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15863 posts
13086 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
baresi wrote: All like CorSter said, except in my experience it is not really crowded (in the North York office) in the times when 10 year passports are a thing. Also don't have photos taken in Shoppers or similar stores where you just stand against a wall, they can reject it and delay you (the delay could be minor because for example in my case I ran to a real photo place under the passport office and took pic but still...).
Good tip...
Especially for someone pressed for time

Last Passport Photos had done at CAA.

They actually have a computer program from Passport Canada that does all the required measurements for the headshot (face to white space ratio). And a 100% Guarantee that their photos won’t be turned down by Passport Canada.

Have seen none of this at Shoppers where we got previous Passport Photos taken
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
6024 posts
2371 upvotes
West GTEH!
Or if you're near a Costco, they do a good job with Passport photos.
I've taken a few Passport photos with Costco and have not had any issues.
😎
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1280 posts
514 upvotes
Kaz wrote: I need to do the expedited process in Vancouver tomorrow.
planning on applying tomorrow afternoon and picking it up on Wednesday.

Has anyone done this and can give input?
two weeks ago in Montreal -- applied one day morning at 8AM,
pickup next day afternoon at 2PM. about 30 hours.

As you probably know, it was cold in Montreal, about -20C or 253 K.
In Vancouver it will be 10 tomorrow, or 283 Kelvin.
As you probably know from school, random bodies
has speed proportional to square of absolute (Kelvin) temperature.
And speed is inverse to time spent for the same job.
Solve simple ratio:
30 hours ~ SQRT(283)
x hours ~ SQRT(253)
x = 28.35 = 28h 21m -- this is processing time you can expect in Vancouver.

A.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20079 posts
4621 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Years ago there was a guy on here who got his passport on the same day, in Vancouver. Can't remember thread title.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16455 posts
9257 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
PointsHubby wrote: Good tip...
Especially for someone pressed for time

Last Passport Photos had done at CAA.

They actually have a computer program from Passport Canada that does all the required measurements for the headshot (face to white space ratio). And a 100% Guarantee that their photos won’t be turned down by Passport Canada.

Have seen none of this at Shoppers where we got previous Passport Photos taken
If the timeline is really that tight, I would come with two sets of passport photos from different places. The 100% guarantee can't guarantee you that Passport Canada won't turn you down... they can only guarantee that they will redo them free of charge is it happens. After all, CAA can't dedicate what an individual passport agent will do on any given day. Having a second set from another source will hedge your bets against anything unforeseen.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15863 posts
13086 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Jucius Maximus wrote: Years ago there was a guy on here who got his passport on the same day, in Vancouver. Can't remember thread title.
Passport Canada don’t advertise same day delivery per se on their website...they say it’s 24 Hours for $ 110 Service Fed on top of the Cost of a Passport

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... sport.html

They also offer Emergeny Help for getting a Passport on Weekends & Stat Holidays... that is a whopping $ 335 Service Fee on top of the cost of a Passport

Of course in any case where on is wanting to get a Passport on Rush Order (less than 10 Days) then in addition to the Service Fees one also has to provide / prove to Passport Canada that there is a valid reason for the Rush / Urgent / Emergency request
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1966 posts
858 upvotes
HK
I’ve done same day service in the past, went first thing in the morning and was able to catch my afternoon flight. They will ask for proof (airline ticket).
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
Jucius Maximus wrote: Years ago there was a guy on here who got his passport on the same day, in Vancouver. Can't remember thread title.
I think it was me relaying a story of my nephew. He was leaving for Europe in less than 24 hours and realized his passport expire. He was at the Surrey office at 8AM and had his passport by that afternoon and caught his flight that evening.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.