Real Estate

Anyone has experience with Aspen Ridge Home and their Design Studio?

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2022 11:40 pm
[OP]
Jan 18, 2006
538 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto

Anyone has experience with Aspen Ridge Home and their Design Studio?

We recently got a precon house from Aspen Ridge Homes, and completely new to the precon game.

We're looking to make a number of changes to the home, as long as it's doable and doesn't break the bank:
1. Moving the patio door a couple feet, and move the affected windows to where the patio door was
2. Adding a second separate sink and faucet to the kitchen
3. Run ethernet drops to every room and maybe add some outlets.
4. Remove 2 small walls assuming they're not structural (of course, be verified with them to be sure)
5. Change waterheater tank to tankless
6. change HVAC to 3 zones
7. Increase kitchen Island size
8. Increase range hood exhaust pipe if the sizing is too small

Are these reasonable changes I can make with them? Interested to hear from you guys' experiences and what the pricing and processes are like.

How is their design studio in terms of pricing and selections, and it'd be amazing if there's some reference price point vs what you get. How in-depth do they get in terms of actually designing and how wide of selection do you get? If we can know the process you went through it would really help us out.

Lastly, from my understanding, #3 is handled by Grand Alarms exclusively, how is your experience with them, and their pricing for adding drops?

Really looking forward to learning from everyone's experience so we won't be caught by any surprise

Edit: Forgot to add, this is supposed to be an Energy Star certified home, hope this fact doesn't complicate things too much
46 replies
Aug 15, 2014
560 posts
189 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Do you mind me asking what project area you bought in?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2266 posts
1325 upvotes
GTA
I did 21 years ago when we bought pre-construction. They were pretty lax at the time, but that was just before the boom hit and they couldn't sell houses fast enough. I think we got in before the craze and they were more open to changes without nickel and diming for any change. Not sure how they are now, but that was my experience back then.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1280 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto
We did Aspen Ridge King Country- Nobleton. Everything is overpriced. Some of your stuff is structural and should be done before your decore appointment. Ethernet drop sis done via 3rd party for cables/tele/network/cameras/etc. GA's pricing is fairly high.. rOUGH IN ADDITIONAL TV/TELE = $150, Codnuit for fireplace $450 conduit from basement to attic $465. Cat5e= $185/ cat6 $205/speaker home theater rough in $340 (PAIR!), 4 camera rough in $740

AR upgrades Island upgrade costed $2k (more granite, more cabinetry)~
extra sink in island $2k~
Feb 6, 2008
167 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
I have experience with Aspen Ridge, we moved to Queensville 3 years ago. This year we purchased a larger home from them in a same development, so we will be go through this process again.
I can answer some of your questions:
Adding a second separate sink and faucet to the kitchen- shouldn't be a problem
Run ethernet drops to every room and maybe add some outlets-not a problem
Remove 2 small walls assuming they're not structural (of course, be verified with them to be sure) - we will be removing some walls, but we asked their architect first and they said ok
Change waterheater tank to tankless-not sure about this, overall the waterheater situation is bad, they leave you no choice as to sign a contract with Cricket Comfort and there is no way out of it. I suggest you call them
Increase kitchen Island size- not a problem, we reconfigured the kitchen and increased the island size in our current place and planning to do the same with a new one.
The selection of finishes at their design studio is pretty big. The cost will greatly depend on what level of upgrade you get. But even basic finishes are not bad at all. I went to one of the studio open houses before COVID and was very impressed. I don't remember how much we paid to grand alarms for the installation. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19068 posts
17389 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
non-structural upgrades should be fine...just be ready to spend.
Aug 15, 2014
560 posts
189 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
We also bought in queensville. Ruth from aspen ridge was very pleasant to speak with but we went with lakeview. Won’t be able to give you exact pricing and process as we went with different builder but I generally had the same questions at the beginning.

It would be easier to negotiate before signing the agreement. In our project from how they’ve been selling I would think there is little to no negotiations or conditions, they may simply refuse knowing someone else will buy it.

We were told with lakeview there are 2 appointments one structural over the phone and the other was in person at decor to select interior finishes.

1. In terms of moving patio/sliding door not entirely sure It’s possible to relocate, we were however offered a 4 panel style glass In kitchen for ~5k. We opted for french doors in basement that was ~1.2k

3. Cat5 r/I was about 120, cable tv r/I was 100, outlet were 200

4. We were looking to remove walls as well thinking it would be less work for builder however was told it would cost ~500 ( that was to remove the toilet enclosure wall in en-suite)

5. I believe in agreement of p/s it states water tank is a rental, you will need to have a separate contract with provider not relating to the builder if you are looking to make the change to tankless

8. Standard vent duct is 6 you can increase it to 8 depending on hood vent $400

Overall just from viewing the standard finishes are better for aspen (porcelain tile, extra garage door opener outlet, humidifier,central vac r/I to garage, hardwood flooring on upper level. A lot of things that are deemed standard for aspen was shown on our standard as an upgrade. One thing I saw that came as a surprise was the showers, we were under the assumption that the showers were all tiled only to find that there is an acrylic base and to get tiled flooring it would be an upgrade, for us was ~750 each. The frameless shower enclosure was ~3k, the frameless shower door was ~1.5k. Smooth ceiling in all upstairs bedroom was ~3k.

We have yet to make an appointment for interior.

I hope the information helps
Jul 15, 2020
2 posts
I had great experience with my Aspen Ridge home.

We were able to make some customization and add in things like:
  • Adding a Walk Up Basement
  • Bigger Basement Windows
  • Adding new Windows
  • Changing the height of certain half walls
We didn't end up going for Grand Alarms, and got a better quote for Dynamic Security which they also did a full install of my security system for FREE if you sign a contract with them for 3 years. If you add the price for 3 years, its like purchasing the whole alarm system. After 3 years, I just brought a Hub 6 and connected to my phone. Much better value for money.

Hope this helps
[OP]
Jan 18, 2006
538 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
porchemasi wrote: We did Aspen Ridge King Country- Nobleton. Everything is overpriced. Some of your stuff is structural and should be done before your decore appointment. Ethernet drop sis done via 3rd party for cables/tele/network/cameras/etc. GA's pricing is fairly high.. rOUGH IN ADDITIONAL TV/TELE = $150, Codnuit for fireplace $450 conduit from basement to attic $465. Cat5e= $185/ cat6 $205/speaker home theater rough in $340 (PAIR!), 4 camera rough in $740
I am not familiar with market price but for cable runs and drops before the dry wall is put in that sounds really high!
dshul wrote: I have experience with Aspen Ridge, we moved to Queensville 3 years ago. This year we purchased a larger home from them in a same development, so we will be go through this process again.
I can answer some of your questions:
Adding a second separate sink and faucet to the kitchen- shouldn't be a problem
Run ethernet drops to every room and maybe add some outlets-not a problem
Remove 2 small walls assuming they're not structural (of course, be verified with them to be sure) - we will be removing some walls, but we asked their architect first and they said ok
Change waterheater tank to tankless-not sure about this, overall the waterheater situation is bad, they leave you no choice as to sign a contract with Cricket Comfort and there is no way out of it. I suggest you call them
Increase kitchen Island size- not a problem, we reconfigured the kitchen and increased the island size in our current place and planning to do the same with a new one.
The selection of finishes at their design studio is pretty big. The cost will greatly depend on what level of upgrade you get. But even basic finishes are not bad at all. I went to one of the studio open houses before COVID and was very impressed. I don't remember how much we paid to grand alarms for the installation. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions
Thanks, really appreciate the info, and sounds like we'll be neighbours in a few years (I'm not hopeful they'll complete ours by next year lol) :)

Thanks for the water heater info will call Cricket Comfort but at least their site shows having tankless water heater.

How was your experience with their Design Studio with your current home? Did they consult with you and offer professional and helfpul advices for the changes?
Ramngu wrote: We also bought in queensville. Ruth from aspen ridge was very pleasant to speak with but we went with lakeview. Won’t be able to give you exact pricing and process as we went with different builder but I generally had the same questions at the beginning.

It would be easier to negotiate before signing the agreement. In our project from how they’ve been selling I would think there is little to no negotiations or conditions, they may simply refuse knowing someone else will buy it.

We were told with lakeview there are 2 appointments one structural over the phone and the other was in person at decor to select interior finishes.

1. In terms of moving patio/sliding door not entirely sure It’s possible to relocate, we were however offered a 4 panel style glass In kitchen for ~5k. We opted for french doors in basement that was ~1.2k
3. Cat5 r/I was about 120, cable tv r/I was 100, outlet were 200
4. We were looking to remove walls as well thinking it would be less work for builder however was told it would cost ~500 ( that was to remove the toilet enclosure wall in en-suite)
5. I believe in agreement of p/s it states water tank is a rental, you will need to have a separate contract with provider not relating to the builder if you are looking to make the change to tankless
8. Standard vent duct is 6 you can increase it to 8 depending on hood vent $400
Overall just from viewing the standard finishes are better for aspen (porcelain tile, extra garage door opener outlet, humidifier,central vac r/I to garage, hardwood flooring on upper level. A lot of things that are deemed standard for aspen was shown on our standard as an upgrade. One thing I saw that came as a surprise was the showers, we were under the assumption that the showers were all tiled only to find that there is an acrylic base and to get tiled flooring it would be an upgrade, for us was ~750 each. The frameless shower enclosure was ~3k, the frameless shower door was ~1.5k. Smooth ceiling in all upstairs bedroom was ~3k.

We have yet to make an appointment for interior.

I hope the information helps
This is amazing info, thank you. Maybe we can use this info to "PM" with Aspen Ridge if the pricing gets too ridiculous lol. For the cable, does Lakeview also use Grand Alarms?

The upgrade prices sound very steep for what they are, but thanks for providing some reference point so we can set our expectations properly
Aug 15, 2014
560 posts
189 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
redplanet wrote: I am not familiar with market price but for cable runs and drops before the dry wall is put in that sounds really high!

Thanks, really appreciate the info, and sounds like we'll be neighbours in a few years (I'm not hopeful they'll complete ours by next year lol) :)

Thanks for the water heater info will call Cricket Comfort but at least their site shows having tankless water heater.

How was your experience with their Design Studio with your current home? Did they consult with you and offer professional and helfpul advices for the changes?

This is amazing info, thank you. Maybe we can use this info to "PM" with Aspen Ridge if the pricing gets too ridiculous lol. For the cable, does Lakeview also use Grand Alarms?

The upgrade prices sound very steep for what they are, but thanks for providing some reference point so we can set our expectations properly
We didn’t ask for the specifics for cabling whether it was GA or another party.

Yes prices are very steep, like the other posters have stated it’s best to make a list of priorities and see what your budget gets you. Our priority list was enlarging basement windows, French door in lieu of sliders, electrical outlet and coax cable over fire place, central vacuum r/I to garage, extra outlet to accommodate garage door opener, Extra electrical for future lighting and then we asked about other upgrades that IMO would have been costly with a contractor like shower enclosures. We really wanted the frameless glass enclosure but for that price of 3k we settled for the frameless glass shower door for half.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19068 posts
17389 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Ramngu wrote: We didn’t ask for the specifics for cabling whether it was GA or another party.

Yes prices are very steep, like the other posters have stated it’s best to make a list of priorities and see what your budget gets you. Our priority list was enlarging basement windows, French door in lieu of sliders, electrical outlet and coax cable over fire place, central vacuum r/I to garage, extra outlet to accommodate garage door opener, Extra electrical for future lighting and then we asked about other upgrades that IMO would have been costly with a contractor like shower enclosures. We really wanted the frameless glass enclosure but for that price of 3k we settled for the frameless glass shower door for half.
Curious...what was the price for the tv outlet over the fireplace?
Aug 15, 2014
560 posts
189 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
JayLove06 wrote: Curious...what was the price for the tv outlet over the fireplace?
Outlet was $200, the rg6 cable was relocated no additional cost in great room
Jul 23, 2020
2 posts
Has anyone here booked model Gord with Aspen Ridge at New Seaton Pickering ? I have some questions about it
Jul 23, 2020
2 posts
If u don’t mind can you pls tell which project did u but in ?
Aug 3, 2020
33 posts
40 upvotes
I also purchased in Queensville from Lakeview. Below are some prices for structural upgrades for your reference:

OPTIONAL 9’ 3 PANEL SLIDER IN KITCHEN $4,500.00
GAS LINE R/I $650.00/each (for kitchen)
EXTEND CENTRAL VAC TO GARAGE $450.00
ADDITIONAL ELECTRICAL FOR FUTURE CEILING PENDANTS IN KITCHEN (over island) $300.00/EA
ADDITIONAL ELECTRICAL IN GARAGE ON CEILING $200.00
DEDICATED ELECTRICAL FOR BUILT IN APPLIANCES (oven, micro, cook-top) $900.00 note: cabinets not included
DEDICATED ELECTRICAL FOR UNDER COUNTER BEVERAGE CENTRE $300.00
ADDIITONAL INTERIOR POT LIGHTS $260.00 EA
EXTERIOR SOFIT POT LIGHTS $400.00 EACH
TALL 8’ DOORS ON MAIN FLOOR $300.00/EACH (from standard selection – hollow core doors)
ADD SIDE ACCESS DOOR - GRADE PERMITTING $2,000.00
SMOOTH CEILINGS – 2nd floor bedrooms / closets $3,500.00
ENSUITE #2 - ADD FRAMELESS TEMPERED CLEAR GLASS SHOWER DOOR $1,800.00
SHOWER STALL BASE – DELETE ACRYLIC PAN AND PREP FOR TILED BASE $750.00
SHOWER POT LIGHT $350.00
OPTIONAL WAFFLE CEILING IN GREAT ROOM $4,280.00
CAT 5 INTERNET R/I $120.00
CABLE T.V. R/I $100.00

I am heading into my Decor appt in the next couple of weeks. As someone mentioned above, Lakeview structures the structural and decor into two separate appts (one phone, one in person).
[OP]
Jan 18, 2006
538 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
redflagone0one wrote: I also purchased in Queensville from Lakeview. Below are some prices for structural upgrades for your reference:

OPTIONAL 9’ 3 PANEL SLIDER IN KITCHEN $4,500.00
GAS LINE R/I $650.00/each (for kitchen)
EXTEND CENTRAL VAC TO GARAGE $450.00
ADDITIONAL ELECTRICAL FOR FUTURE CEILING PENDANTS IN KITCHEN (over island) $300.00/EA
ADDITIONAL ELECTRICAL IN GARAGE ON CEILING $200.00
DEDICATED ELECTRICAL FOR BUILT IN APPLIANCES (oven, micro, cook-top) $900.00 note: cabinets not included
DEDICATED ELECTRICAL FOR UNDER COUNTER BEVERAGE CENTRE $300.00
ADDIITONAL INTERIOR POT LIGHTS $260.00 EA
EXTERIOR SOFIT POT LIGHTS $400.00 EACH
TALL 8’ DOORS ON MAIN FLOOR $300.00/EACH (from standard selection – hollow core doors)
ADD SIDE ACCESS DOOR - GRADE PERMITTING $2,000.00
SMOOTH CEILINGS – 2nd floor bedrooms / closets $3,500.00
ENSUITE #2 - ADD FRAMELESS TEMPERED CLEAR GLASS SHOWER DOOR $1,800.00
SHOWER STALL BASE – DELETE ACRYLIC PAN AND PREP FOR TILED BASE $750.00
SHOWER POT LIGHT $350.00
OPTIONAL WAFFLE CEILING IN GREAT ROOM $4,280.00
CAT 5 INTERNET R/I $120.00
CABLE T.V. R/I $100.00

I am heading into my Decor appt in the next couple of weeks. As someone mentioned above, Lakeview structures the structural and decor into two separate appts (one phone, one in person).
Wow just saw this, this is really good info, thanks! How did the Decor appt go for you?

We are still early in the process, we just picked our exterior and are limited to some not so great colours =/

The CAT 5 internet R/I doesn't seem too bad, think it might even be Cat 5e instead since it's very hard to find Cat 5 now. Would you happen to know the price for CAT 6 R/I?
Aug 3, 2020
33 posts
40 upvotes
redplanet wrote: Wow just saw this, this is really good info, thanks! How did the Decor appt go for you?

We are still early in the process, we just picked our exterior and are limited to some not so great colours =/

The CAT 5 internet R/I doesn't seem too bad, think it might even be Cat 5e instead since it's very hard to find Cat 5 now. Would you happen to know the price for CAT 6 R/I?
Overall the appointment went well. I came prepared and pretty much had the entire scope of upgrades mapped out in advance so I could spend some time and focus on the items I did not consider prior to the appt. The prices for the decor upgrades are truly absurd in some cases. They don't make any logical sense and are 5-6 times the cost of the difference between the two materials. Lakeview wasn't interested in haggling or discussing the pricing structure. They simply said "it is what it is...".

Sorry I don't know the price of the CAT 6. I think you're right its, CAT 5e.

House is now in construction stages. Closing is mid-2021. Exciting to see things moving along.

Hope your appt goes well.
[OP]
Jan 18, 2006
538 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
redflagone0one wrote: Overall the appointment went well. I came prepared and pretty much had the entire scope of upgrades mapped out in advance so I could spend some time and focus on the items I did not consider prior to the appt. The prices for the decor upgrades are truly absurd in some cases. They don't make any logical sense and are 5-6 times the cost of the difference between the two materials. Lakeview wasn't interested in haggling or discussing the pricing structure. They simply said "it is what it is...".

Sorry I don't know the price of the CAT 6. I think you're right its, CAT 5e.

House is now in construction stages. Closing is mid-2021. Exciting to see things moving along.

Hope your appt goes well.
Thank you, I was hoping they won't be stupid when it comes to upgrades and make it a win-win instead of lose-lose.

We just picked our exterior tiles not too long ago, not holding our breath on the structural/design appointment time lol,
Sep 21, 2020
4 posts
Hello neighbor,
Do you have the pre conduction upgrade list? Are you able to post it here?
Thanks