Anyone has experience of mobile deposit your spouse cheque into your own acct

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2019 12:59 am
[OP]
Jan 21, 2012
319 posts
115 upvotes

Anyone has experience of mobile deposit your spouse cheque into your own acct

I accidentally deposited a cheque paid to my spouse into my own bank account. I called the institution right away to cancel it, but they cannot do so. They said the system will automatically return the cheque within a couple days once it figured out the name didn't match, but there may be a charge for it. They said my spouse can still deposit the cheque without problem.
Anyone has experienced that before?
5 replies
May 16, 2017
676 posts
667 upvotes
I've heard of but not done something similar myself BUT do NOT count on a name mismatch being caught and the deposit returned and do NOT redeposit the cheque UNTIL any return has been confirmed.
Sep 12, 2012
647 posts
424 upvotes
Toronto
I have attempted to deposit a cheque written to my spouse into my own account and the bank did reject it because the name on the cheque did not match the name of the account. I was not charged a fee though.

I had to deposit the cheque into a joint account and then it was processed successfully.
[OP]
Jan 21, 2012
319 posts
115 upvotes
robsaw wrote:
Jul 4th, 2019 11:35 am
I've heard of but not done something similar myself BUT do NOT count on a name mismatch being caught and the deposit returned and do NOT redeposit the cheque UNTIL any return has been confirmed.
Yes, that's what I am worry about, if they did not caught it right away, and I deposited the same cheque into my spouse's acct, it will cause some problem.
hamandcheese wrote:
Jul 4th, 2019 12:07 pm
I have attempted to deposit a cheque written to my spouse into my own account and the bank did reject it because the name on the cheque did not match the name of the account. I was not charged a fee though.

I had to deposit the cheque into a joint account and then it was processed successfully.
hvwozq wrote:
Jul 4th, 2019 12:41 pm
Which bank is it? Not all of them rejects it. Tangerine does, but it's free and doesn't take days.
I will just hold on the cheque for now, and keep checking my acct and once the cheque got rejected, I will deposit it to my spouse's acct. I hope my bank will reject it sooner.