Home & Garden

Anyone has experience with ShelterLogic sheds and the like?

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2019 8:18 am
[OP]
Dec 6, 2013
701 posts
259 upvotes
Ontario

Anyone has experience with ShelterLogic sheds and the like?

I want to get a shed, similar to these ShelterLogic sheds that pops up at every big retailer. I was wondering if anyone has experience with these or the like, and if they would hold up well in Canadian high winds and snow?

:cool:
8 replies
May 17, 2007
591 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
They have these in QC but they are hideous. A lot of municipalities disallow them.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9646 posts
5037 upvotes
Paris
Depends what you mean by “Canadian”. We had a float house (floating boat house version of this) that in the winter we took the cover off. Tried it one year (manufacturer told us it would be fine... narrator: It wasnt fine) so they replaced the cover and told us its not fine. That was in Muskoka.

Would probably last in southern Ontario. Won’t last more than 4 years between UV and wind.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15460 posts
12660 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
orb2k wrote: They have these in QC but they are hideous. A lot of municipalities disallow them.
As Car Shelters they indeed are very popular in Quebec.
And ya a bit of an eyesore
So indeed some municipalities have bylaws forbidding them

But as sheds (the much smaller versions) ... I don’t know / think so
Most municipalities don’t seem to have a lot of bylaws about garden sheds

My issue with them, would be they offer no security (not lockable)
And everything else that goes with their car shelters
Ugly colours, construction that doesn’t hold up well to snow
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/q ... w-1.690553
And tarps that tear in wind, fade in sun, and rot out pretty quickly

I’d be spending my money on another option for a shed
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3459 posts
1219 upvotes
Ottawa
We bought one (6×6) two years ago and it has worked well except we need to use pallets because rain/snow gets on the floor inside (it's our backup shed, in a location at the side of the house where we don't see it. Our neighbour doesn't see it either because there's a fence.)

That said, we'd have given up trying to put it together if not for our engineer son ☺
I've put lots of Ikea stuff together with no problem, but this was awful. Solid and worth the $99 price now that it is there.
Feb 28, 2018
149 posts
97 upvotes
Waterloo region
i bought a 10x10 last fall.. i wanted it to last at least 2 years ,until i built a wood shed. i went through the winter no probs, snow just slid rite off.
the problem i found with it is the condensation, its brutal... everything was wet when i opened it this spring.. card board boxes were soft.
luckily i didn't have anything in there that would be ruined.
if your storing things that are not affected by moisture, then this tent/shed is cheap & easy.. i just need one more winter out of it then i'll replace it with a wood built shed.
it still looks like new.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2013
701 posts
259 upvotes
Ontario
Thanks everyone for the inputs! I am mainly looking for storage for snow blower + lawn mower + couple gardening tools, for maybe 2-3 years until I can build something solid.

For the same price I could also get these metal sheds.. Would these be a better option?

:cool:
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15460 posts
12660 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
xfftwf wrote: Thanks everyone for the inputs! I am mainly looking for storage for snow blower + lawn mower + couple gardening tools, for maybe 2-3 years until I can build something solid.

For the same price I could also get these metal sheds.. Would these be a better option?

Yup
Fine for a short term solution
Most important factors here are:
1- Decent site prep / crushed stone / thick plywood floor (if putting in a floor)
2- Winter access so you can brush the snow off ... roof will not hold up to a snow load... they tend to cave in

https://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishi ... at-damage/

Do that, and you might get 5 to 10 years if lucky
(Lol keep or resell when you build a wood shed)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6581 posts
2150 upvotes
GTA
xfftwf wrote: Thanks everyone for the inputs! I am mainly looking for storage for snow blower + lawn mower + couple gardening tools, for maybe 2-3 years until I can build something solid.

Its a far better option but you will get half way through assembling it and start thinking you may as well have put the time/effort/money into building the shed you actually want.