Cell Phones

Anyone have any experience with Chatr's data network?

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2019 9:43 am
[OP]
Apr 25, 2019
308 posts
482 upvotes

Anyone have any experience with Chatr's data network?

I bought a SIM card online on Amazon for $8 tax in. Is Chatr good? I know it's Rogers HSPA+ network. Even though I am very tech savvy, my data habits are fairly low, I don't stream video or audio very often on data because I have a Spotify premium account that allows me to download music to my phone and typically wait until WiFi to do anything heavy or streaming videos. I try to use Lite versions of social media apps to burn less data. I browse the web on Opera browser to save data and check emails when I'm out and about. I also play games when I'm on the bus. Is this good enough for the Chatr's data network? Thinking of signing up at the end of May/beginning of June as I plan to pay off my phone contract. Might get the $40 2.5 GB unless Chatr comes up with a promo by then.
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25
5 replies
Jun 2, 2010
591 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
LeifS39303 wrote: I bought a SIM card online on Amazon for $8 tax in. Is Chatr good? I know it's Rogers HSPA+ network. Even though I am very tech savvy, my data habits are fairly low, I don't stream video or audio very often on data because I have a Spotify premium account that allows me to download music to my phone and typically wait until WiFi to do anything heavy or streaming videos. I try to use Lite versions of social media apps to burn less data. I browse the web on Opera browser to save data and check emails when I'm out and about. I also play games when I'm on the bus. Is this good enough for the Chatr's data network? Thinking of signing up at the end of May/beginning of June as I plan to pay off my phone contract. Might get the $40 2.5 GB unless Chatr comes up with a promo by then.
I'm on Chatr. Yeah, it's OK. Yes, Chatr is on Rogers 3G (bands 2 and 5) -- not the best if you're in a basement (and no Wi-Fi Calling if you're in a high-rise condo). My typical Speedtest results in the eastern GTA are 2.8 Mbps download, 1.5 Mbps upload, 37 ms ping. For your use case it sounds like a good fit to me. I'm not sure about your requirement for playing games on the bus though -- if you need data really quickly with low latency then Chatr is not for you.

Why don't you try Chatr with a temporary number and see how it works for you? If you are happy with Chatr's service, port your regular number in after you pay off your phone contract.
Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data
[OP]
Apr 25, 2019
308 posts
482 upvotes
Regarding games, I play simple games that don't take up much data (Other than the annoying pop up ads that appear every other level.)
I'm not sure how getting a temporary number would work if I don't have a 2nd phone? Might as well port over in the beginning to avoid the hassle of call center porting over to Chatr. I have been limiting my S8 to Virgin's 3G HSPA+ network so I could get used to the 3G instead of LTE in preparation for Chatr.
I don't really care about latency though 37 ms ping is pretty good based on your speedtest result and whether the webpage takes 2 seconds longer to load.
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1211 posts
1008 upvotes
Calgary
LeifS39303 wrote: Regarding games, I play simple games that don't take up much data (Other than the annoying pop up ads that appear every other level.)
I'm not sure how getting a temporary number would work if I don't have a 2nd phone? Might as well port over in the beginning to avoid the hassle of call center porting over to Chatr. I have been limiting my S8 to Virgin's 3G HSPA+ network so I could get used to the 3G instead of LTE in preparation for Chatr.
I don't really care about latency though 37 ms ping is pretty good based on your speedtest result and whether the webpage takes 2 seconds longer to load.
Is there a particular reason you haven’t looked at Public Mobile? Prices are the same but you get access to the LTE network (with capped speeds). The latency over 3G makes a big difference.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5631 posts
3553 upvotes
Chatr offers the worst mobile data experience, and they're overpriced compared to their "competition." Instead, go to Lucky Mobile for snail speeds on LTE. $35 for 2.5 GB, or $40 for 5 GB. You should get a migration offer to go back to Virgin Mobile real LTE later. Or go to Public Mobile if you want to save $2 in exchange for giving up reliability and customer service.
[OP]
Apr 25, 2019
308 posts
482 upvotes
I know about Public Mobile, but they don't have unlimited throttled data after you reach the cap..... If for some reason I don't like Chatr, I can port over to Public or Lucky anytime. I just want to try Chatr's (Rogers) 3G network because I never had any type of Rogers service so would like to experience Rogers network. (I have been with Telus, Bell, and currently Virgin.)
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25