Home & Garden

Anyone have experience with ductless AC/mini split?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2019 10:43 am
[OP]
Feb 10, 2017
96 posts
84 upvotes

Anyone have experience with ductless AC/mini split?

Hi RFD,

I'm looking to install ductless AC in my home, which does not have central ducts (in Toronto). I'm looking for 3 interior heads for 3 bedrooms, which I think one blower/fan exterior unit should be sufficient. I don't think there is much installation work as all three rooms are directly above each other, facing the same direction so the piping can be run along the exterior call.

Does anyone have an idea of how much a rig like this would run? I can't even find pricing on the units let alone with labour.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1164 upvotes
They are pricey...depending on whether you want strictly cooling or cooling + heat (heat pump). Heat pump is like a few hundred more. I would think you would be in the ballpark of 12-15 grand all in but depends on models, efficiency, brands etc. Call around and get some quotes. I put in a furnace and ductless AC/HP in the upper finished attic with only one head and it was about 9000, and furnace was 4000 of that. This was probably 10 years ago.
May 1, 2007
381 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
We had a Mr. Slim on a top floor of our rental and it was very good in both the summer and winter (it had both AC and heat).
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3097 posts
472 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
I had a Mr Slim put in for about $3600 installed. The shame is, in asia the exact same model is hundreds, not thousands.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1663 upvotes
I was looking at 2 units for two bedrooms, and damn they are expensive, quoted $9000. Haven't done it yet. I'm planning on going the ghetto route of getting a portable a/c unit and just using it for 2-3 months during the summer out the window.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7137 posts
2749 upvotes
GTA
aquariaguy wrote: I was looking at 2 units for two bedrooms, and damn they are expensive, quoted $9000. Haven't done it yet. I'm planning on going the ghetto route of getting a portable a/c unit and just using it for 2-3 months during the summer out the window.
9 thou is high, you can get by with 2 smaller units for bedrooms....pre-charged so no flaring nuts, no hvac guy required. Power supply might be dificult so part of the cost but still....9K when quality smaller mini splits are $1500ea? Might even be suitable for a multi split install?
I intalled a couple of mini splits last year, far more energy efficient than portables they replaced that were spinning the meter.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1663 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: 9 thou is high, you can get by with 2 smaller units for bedrooms....pre-charged so no flaring nuts, no hvac guy required. Power supply might be dificult so part of the cost but still....9K when quality smaller mini splits are $1500ea? Might even be suitable for a multi split install?
I intalled a couple of mini splits last year, far more energy efficient than portables they replaced that were spinning the meter.
What would you recommend for 2 small bedrooms? We have central air, just those that one bedroom is facing south-west so gets cooked from 12-6pm.

PM me if you do installs :)
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)