None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1897 upvotes
Ontario

Anyone have issues with Rogers remotes?

In the last 2 months, my Rogers remotes have ALL been wonky.
I have 3 and find it surprising that all 3 would conk out at the same time.

Basically, I try to change the channel or do any operation. It does nothing. And the CBL button flashes 3 times.
Eventually, after hitting cable enough times it does work. But not until I feel like launching it out the window.

I've tried the usual replace the batteries, even reset the remote. It still happens.
Rogers, of course, is not helpful. Just says, 'you can return the box'
Doesn't explain why all 3 are doing this.

If I have to, I will. Curious if anyone else experienced this. And resolved it.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
154 upvotes
Wood Bridge
just exchange the REMOTES. not the cable box.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1897 upvotes
Ontario
Stronzo1 wrote: just exchange the REMOTES. not the cable box.
You can do that?
I suggested it and they said replace the whole box.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
154 upvotes
Wood Bridge
onlineharvest wrote: You can do that?
I suggested it and they said replace the whole box.
Ive changed remotes a handfull of times. the person who told u to replace the whole box is smoking something more than cigarettes
Nov 29, 2012
43 posts
9 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I've had the same problem with one of my remotes and found the only way to get it working is to get really close to the box, point and press a few remote buttons (e.g. change a channel, increase the volume) to get it going. Then I can move back and it works fine from a distance til you turn it off. Next time I turn on, have to repeat the process. I haven't bothered replacing it yet. Would suggest changing the remote first to see if that solves the problem, otherwise change the box or provider!
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1972 posts
792 upvotes
Kitchener
I had a few rogers remotes go and I just take the remote into the store and they give me a new one. They don't even bother checking the account or anything, just a straight up exchange.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1897 upvotes
Ontario
Replacement remotes are used....ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Anyone know where I can rent a blue light?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3819 posts
935 upvotes
Toronto
We have had to replace the remotes with Rogers a few times. At the moment I have been having issues with one of the remotes. Actually I have been having issues with the Internet and also with the upstairs box - Rogers has not been helpful with these issues however.

The last time I had to exchange the remote for the basement TV (it has just the normal box - not the one that we have upstairs that allows us to pay to rent a movie etc.) the new remote was a lot better than the old one. No questions were asked. I did call first to make sure there was one in stock at the most convenient Rogers location.

Upstairs we have the old remote and I am not thrilled. I have had to do as other poster has and moved around the room. The TV downstairs is on its last legs so the upstairs TV is going downstairs tonight and a new TV is being picked up today. I am fully expecting issues.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
154 upvotes
Wood Bridge
onlineharvest wrote: Replacement remotes are used....ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Anyone know where I can rent a blue light?
correction, they are REFURBISHED. they clean the circuits in an isopropyl solution and put new housings on the remotes, only the circuit board is "used"
Jan 27, 2013
434 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
The remote on my PVR drains the 2 AA batteries every month with light usage. I went to the Rogers store and swapped it out for a refurbished remote (came wrapped in a ziplock plastic and also came with 2 new AA batteries). So far, so good. I was in and out of the store in 2 minutes. Simple swap, and they didn't even ask me for my account info.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1897 upvotes
Ontario
Stronzo1 wrote: correction, they are REFURBISHED. they clean the circuits in an isopropyl solution and put new housings on the remotes, only the circuit board is "used"
Nope.
The housing itself was all scratched up.
It was clearly used before.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
154 upvotes
Wood Bridge
onlineharvest wrote: Nope.
The housing itself was all scratched up.
It was clearly used before.
well that is probably a one off, sometimes we run out of new housings at the refurbishment facility, so if the older housing is in somewhat decent shape, and the numbers arent worn away, we clean it up/disinfect it, and re-use it, if its badly damaged we will dispose it and put the remote in a pile untill we receive new parts
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1897 upvotes
Ontario
Stronzo1 wrote: well that is probably a one off, sometimes we run out of new housings at the refurbishment facility, so if the older housing is in somewhat decent shape, and the numbers arent worn away, we clean it up/disinfect it, and re-use it, if its badly damaged we will dispose it and put the remote in a pile untill we receive new parts
Try a 3 off! I think you're just making it up as you go.
Every device has new housing, only a 1 off?

Please.

One had deep scratches all over, next one the battery cover was broken and didn't stay on, and the third I think was tied to a car and dragged on concrete.
These were all sealed in their bags.

Only after all that did I get one with CLEARLY new housing.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
154 upvotes
Wood Bridge
onlineharvest wrote: Try a 3 off! I think you're just making it up as you go.
Every device has new housing, only a 1 off?

Please.

One had deep scratches all over, next one the battery cover was broken and didn't stay on, and the third I think was tied to a car and dragged on concrete.
These were all sealed in their bags.

Only after all that did I get one with CLEARLY new housing.
U have 2 Options. ask to see the remote before u leave, if ur not happy they will exchange it till ur happy,
complain to the store manager. I have no control over QualityControl of other workers I know my quality is job one.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1897 upvotes
Ontario
Stronzo1 wrote: U have 2 Options. ask to see the remote before u leave, if ur not happy they will exchange it till ur happy,
complain to the store manager. I have no control over QualityControl of other workers I know my quality is job one.
I did open up each at the store.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6953 posts
1054 upvotes
Toronto
It's pretty easy to tell if a Rogers remote is used, all the ones I've ever received from Rogers have been brand new (or in a replaced housing as someone else mentioned).
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1484 upvotes
Pickering
That remote is from a company called Atlas. A lot of cable providers (if not all) that use Scientific Atlanta/Cisco boxes use that remote. If you press the buttons in the wrong order you can reprogram the remote to do nothing. If you have kids and think it is cute to give them the remote to play with, they can reprogram the remote to do nothing. If you sit on the remote, you can reprogram it to do nothing. Finally, it hates rechargeable batteries and does stupid stuff if you put rechargeables in it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1897 upvotes
Ontario
AudiDude wrote: That remote is from a company called Atlas. A lot of cable providers (if not all) that use Scientific Atlanta/Cisco boxes use that remote. If you press the buttons in the wrong order you can reprogram the remote to do nothing. If you have kids and think it is cute to give them the remote to play with, they can reprogram the remote to do nothing. If you sit on the remote, you can reprogram it to do nothing. Finally, it hates rechargeable batteries and does stupid stuff if you put rechargeables in it.
So, it hates kids, booties, and a great deal (eneloops)?
What a downer of a remote. :-)