Green / Eco-Friendly

Anyone heard of building with Hempcrete before?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2020 11:24 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 11, 2019
79 posts
9 upvotes

Anyone heard of building with Hempcrete before?

I am building a new house.

I was reading on Youtube how people are raving about this product. Helps eliminate high AC and heating costs, but I'm not sure what practical drawbacks I have to think of. It costs a bit more than conventional building I think. But it's fire retardant. It's also extremely eco-friendly and pest-resistant (termites, rats).

What do people think of it? Together with a metal roof, my house could last forever :D
2 replies
Feb 18, 2019
6 posts
4 upvotes
Hempcrete acts as an insulator and moisture regulator better than concrete, and lacks the brittleness of concrete, meaning it doesn't need traditional expansion joints. It isn't all good though, it's compressive strength is 1/20th of residential concrete meaning it needs more framing and support for vertical load. If you're someone who is very much into the environment, it may be something you want to do as it does use less energy and water to create, and acts as a carbon sink, but will cost 10% more. Other issue is contractors may not be familiar with using it. Hemp-board and hemp-ply are stronger products (then non-hemp equivalents) and I'd prefer a contractor use those as there's not much difference to master than traditional.

Personally I am a fan of ICF foundations, as insulated concrete forms get really good insulation factor on both sides of the basement, easy water proofing and fast build structure -- steel spacers act as rebar reinforcement for a bonus.
[OP]
Jun 11, 2019
79 posts
9 upvotes
Thanks, I asked my architect and he said the contractor would be using hemp but not hempcrete -exactly like you said, they contractor may not have much experience with using Hempcrete blocks. Hopefully the hemp however will do a similar job.