Home & Garden

Anyone here have experience installing their own Split Air conditioner?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2020 6:43 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2006
1102 posts
46 upvotes

Anyone here have experience installing their own Split Air conditioner?

With all the DIY split air conditioner installs on youtube does anyone have experience with it? If so is anyone willing to do the install again for a fee?
13 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11738 posts
6928 upvotes
Paris
We installed one at my buddies place that only needed 120v. Had an HVAC tech come and vac/charge it.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9952 upvotes
Edmonton
tripleflip wrote: With all the DIY split air conditioner installs on youtube does anyone have experience with it? If so is anyone willing to do the install again for a fee?
If you’re willing to pay a fee to have someone do it, why not pay a trained professional? That way, if something gets broken or messed up, it’s not your worry?

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2006
1102 posts
46 upvotes
Jerico wrote: We installed one at my buddies place that only needed 120v. Had an HVAC tech come and vac/charge it.
How much did you pay? The HVAC guys charge a from 1k-10k just for them to do it. Here's a link Linus did it for 4K on his own vs 25k from an HVAC guy

Linus DIY Air Conditioner
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2006
1102 posts
46 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: If you’re willing to pay a fee to have someone do it, why not pay a trained professional? That way, if something gets broken or messed up, it’s not your worry?

C
unfortunately the premium these guys want to charge is outrageous just for showing up. I had one HVAC guy upset that people were doing it themselves and that hes out 3k in business just because people are installing it DIY.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2010
1095 posts
323 upvotes
tripleflip wrote: unfortunately the premium these guys want to charge is outrageous just for showing up. I had one HVAC guy upset that people were doing it themselves and that hes out 3k in business just because people are installing it DIY.
I would recommend a professional installation. This is not a Do it yourself project.
See our 2022 RFD Trane AC Group Buy
group-buy-gta-ottawa-2022-central-ac-gr ... t-2530534/
Oct 22, 2016
877 posts
795 upvotes
Comox Valley
My concerns with this install, is make sure you get a quality unit. May be better to pay extra for it.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9952 upvotes
Edmonton
tripleflip wrote: unfortunately the premium these guys want to charge is outrageous just for showing up. I had one HVAC guy upset that people were doing it themselves and that hes out 3k in business just because people are installing it DIY.
All I know is that we regularly hear stories in here about people hiring some Kijiji handyman to do work for them, and screwing it up, so they post in here about what their next steps should be.. Most times, they get told to get a time machine and not hiring a Kijiji handyman.

If you get someone here (or from Kijiji) to do it, they have no WCIB insurance (so if they fall off a ladder, you'll get a lawsuit), you'll get no warranty on your product or the installation. So if something leaks and your $2000+ unit no longer works, you're out of luck. If that's worth saving a few bucks, knock yourself out.

Keep in mind that guy you posted didn't just get a random stranger to do the work. It looked like "Brian" was a licensed electrician, with all the tools required to do the job properly. And BTW, you will likely need an electrical permit and inspection to be done, to do it legally.

C
May 16, 2010
210 posts
21 upvotes
OP I was in your boat. I found a triple head unit online for lessb than 1/3 of what my lowest of four quotes was (with me buying the tools). I bought the unit, electrical, vacuum pump, gauges, flare tool, and Nylock.
I put it in and had it running in about 7 hours.

Because I did it myself I lost my warranty on the hardware. That's worth something for sure. Also of note I did a lot of research on units and felt I was making an apples to apples comparison.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11738 posts
6928 upvotes
Paris
tripleflip wrote: How much did you pay? The HVAC guys charge a from 1k-10k just for them to do it. Here's a link Linus did it for 4K on his own vs 25k from an HVAC guy

Linus DIY Air Conditioner
$1k to pump and charge lines? Do you live in Singapore?? It was $150 for a guy on the side, $400 from a contractor.

The whole job for a 12k BTU unit was $1300. Unit is a Fujitsu my buddies Uncle got for him, but he died of cancer before we got it in or he would have charged it for free. Its 100% to code with the proper shut off, whip, etc.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2006
1102 posts
46 upvotes
millerwon wrote: OP I was in your boat. I found a triple head unit online for lessb than 1/3 of what my lowest of four quotes was (with me buying the tools). I bought the unit, electrical, vacuum pump, gauges, flare tool, and Nylock.
I put it in and had it running in about 7 hours.

Because I did it myself I lost my warranty on the hardware. That's worth something for sure. Also of note I did a lot of research on units and felt I was making an apples to apples comparison.
What unit do you recommend? I looking to connect 4 heads/cassettes to it
May 16, 2010
210 posts
21 upvotes
I went with a Senville unit. Now, I don't use it for heating in the winter. If you want to do that you might want to look at something else.

Pay close attention to your BTU requirements.